GoldenEye 007 Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Matisfaction
Global Mod

GoldenEye 007 Thread

Post by Matisfaction »

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: GoldenEye 007 XBLA Gameplay

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's a pity it never came out.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Re: GoldenEye 007 XBLA Gameplay

Post by Matisfaction »

Would have been awesome, damn red tape!
I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: GoldenEye 007 Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I saw an article for this on press start the other day, I look forward to being frustrated by the dated controls and gameplay :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A Goldeneye 007 remaster ‘could be revealed in the next few weeks’, it’s claimed

The claim comes amidst increased speculation about the classic game’s release

A HD remaster of N64 classic GoldenEye 007 could be revealed as soon as during the next few weeks, it’s been claimed.

That’s according to VentureBeat journalist Jeff Grubb, who stated on his premium Giant Bomb show GrubbSnax (transcribed by VGC) that he believes that Microsoft is likely to announce the revival, rather than original publisher Nintendo.

This matches what one source has recently told VGC.

Grubb said: “I think that Microsoft is going to be the one to announce that first.” He added: “I think this game is probably coming pretty soon, I’m thinking next couple of weeks.”

Goldeneye 007 has infamously been somewhat of a legal nightmare to rerelease in the past, with rights holders Nintendo, Microsoft and MGM theoretically all required to approve a new version of the N64 classic.

However, 2022 marks the 60th anniversary of the James Bond franchise, leading many to speculate that the most iconic video game in the franchise’s history could finally be re-released as part of the celebration.

And there is some evidence that this could happen: in January, Rare developers were spotted unlocking Xbox Achievements for Goldeneye 007, implying that a previously-cancelled Xbox 360 remaster could finally be officially released for modern platforms.

Last year it was confirmed that Microsoft had to shelve an already completed remaster of the classic N64 game for the Xbox 360, following licensing issues and miscommunication between license holders and a young team who rushed ahead to create it, despite a deal for the game having never been signed.

A working build of GoldenEye 007’s cancelled Xbox 360 remaster was leaked onto file-sharing sites in early 2021, allowing those with access to the files to play it via a modded console or PC emulator.

At the time, VGC reviewed the leaked GoldenEye Xbox build and called it “the greatest remaster you’ll likely never play”.

Speaking for the first time to VGC in a GoldenEye Xbox interview last year, the canned remaster’s co-directors said they didn’t think it would ever be officially released.

“It’s kind of bittersweet,” co-director Chris Tilston said of seeing the GoldenEye remaster leak into the public domain. “It means people get to see the work that was done, but it also masks some of the cockups that went on behind the scenes.”

Co-director Mark Edmonds added: “The thing that I find strangest is, why now? Why leak it after all this time? Someone must have had this for all those years. It just seems strange to me.

“When I first heard about it, it almost made me think, are Microsoft leaking it on purpose for some reason? (Laughs) I don’t think that would make sense, but it does make you wonder.”

Source: VGC

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I never in a million years thought I'd see an actual official rerelease.

The licensing details must have taken 20 years to work out alone, the game itself was probably done in a single weekend by a team of 5 people after the licensing was sorted.

I don't like that it's been faithfully recreated though...
I need a jump button, especially if there is online multiplayer.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: GoldenEye 007 Thread (Coming to Xbox in 4K)

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Switch version will have online multiplayer, the Xbox version won't. Nintendo money hatted it.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

It's actually happening...
I can't get no...

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:41 am The Switch version will have online multiplayer, the Xbox version won't. Nintendo money hatted it.
Goldeneye online on switch will be fun!

No talking, no friends, player ID 4636359 has killed player ID 4758445. The single random match on a random level is now over. Enjoy the next lot of random players. (Yes I'm aware that Nintendo online services are slightly better in 2022 than they were in 2007, but still not as good as Microsoft had in 2001)

I can see why they did it. No one would get the switch version if Microsoft had the better one.

Won't make a difference to me, local on either console will be fine. It's where the game shines.

Owners of Rare Replay on their account apparently get it free too (Not me, because I got the disc because I am old!)
It's enough of a draw to get me to subscribe, and I only subscribe to things if they have something very special to me.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I also have the disc version of Rare Replay. The digital version is on special at the moment though. AU$12.48

https://www.xbox.com/en-au/games/store/ ... 2T53SQ7FLM

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:27 am A Goldeneye 007 remaster ‘could be revealed in the next few weeks’, it’s claimed
*Looks at post date.*
Eh, close enough...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

"A few dozen weeks"

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

well Rare Replay is currently only £4.99 here, got it on disc but that seems pretty fair for Goldeneye, bet it aint got all the nice bits the leaked one did though

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Play as Bond. James Bond.

Nintendo 64's GoldenEye 007 is coming to Nintendo Switch for Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack members on January 27th, now with online play!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Playing the campaign will be fun, it's been 20 years or so since I played it. Nintendo must've paid extra or had great lawyers to negotiate the online play. I find it hard to believe Microsoft would've just punted on that feature, but crazier things have happened.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I don't want to play Aztec or Cradle ever again.

And people can get fucked if they think I'm unlocking invincibility for them ever again.
-Two Interactive.