The Virtual Reality Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

The Virtual Reality Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Digital Foundry: Oculus Rift review
The biggest surprise coming out of our Oculus Rift testing? This isn't just a piece of hardware. It's a platform. Once you strap on the display and immerse yourself into Oculus Home - the front-end of the system - this becomes obvious. Buying games, accessing your library, downloading content, hooking up with friends, watching media, launching titles and switching between them - it's all done within a beautifully realised VR world. There's a console-style sense of solidity and polish to the whole enterprise. And as long as you stick to Oculus' minimum PC spec, just about everything just works.

Oculus is intent on proving that by kitting out the press with a reference platform based on an Asus G20 small form-factor PC, an Asus VE198 monitor, plus the Rift package itself. The pleasant surprise here is that the G20 itself barely scrapes the Oculus min-spec, when the more obvious choice may have been to supply press with the absolute state of the art in PC technology. As things stand, we have the requisite Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, but CPU-wise, the reference units features a base-level Core i5 6400 - the bottom rung 2.7GHz quad-core processor in Intel's latest Skylake line-up. Curiously, this is actually less powerful than the Core i5 4590 previously announced as VR's entry-level CPU.

Despite this, the polish and consistency across the exceptional UI - and indeed the lion's share of the launch games themselves - is highly accomplished. With just barely perceptible, highly infrequent stutter on a small batch of games, the Rift delivers a locked 90fps across the experience from start to finish. Going into this review, we were prepared to roll up our sleeves, break out the overclocking tools, and adjust GPU control panel settings to get the best possible VR experience. The beauty of the Oculus Rift is that after a short set-up procedure, you're good to go with the minimum of tweaking - in most cases, at least
THE OCULUS RIFT REVIEW: The future is finally here, and it's not just for gamers

The Ars review: Oculus Rift expands PC gaming past the monitor’s edge

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Virtual Reality Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

No thanks.

VR is like 3D or a wii.. no matter how good the gimmick gets.. it's still a gimmick. :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

Looks cool but there's still the exact same problems that were there in the 90's, practicality was a massive sticking point. VR also seems fairly limited to FPS games.

I can't get no...

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Touching things is exciting apparently.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

The unreleased Sega one looks the coolest

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Palmer Luckey: The Facebook Near Billionaire Secretly Funding Trump’s Meme Machine

Palmer Luckey—founder of Oculus—is funding a Trump group that circulates dirty memes about Hillary Clinton.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

It just sucks that the real world has injected itself into Internet memes. This post is pretty cringe worthy. And their website is a weird redirect loop to archive.org.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He's saying NimbleRichMan isn't him.

In other exciting news, everytime I enter this thread I play that Jamiroquai song.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:23 pm Image
Looks dumb, it's too expensive, and at least some of the tech will be normalized in the next decade. Augmented reality might be my line in the sand, my old man moment in life where everything after seems like a burden.

I'm always worried about things turning out like HYPER-REALITY:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

:olol: listened to E-Pro while I watched that and it tracks.

I was still right with my virtual boy post though.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Sadly this review got me excited about the Vision Pro.

If anyone could've shit on it, Drew should've found the angle. Cost is the big thing: At what price will this be feasible for normal people? And for families, this sounds like a nightmare.

If I bought one now, what about everyone else in the house? Worst case scenario, VR/AR goggles are just another financed device from Verizon that you need to pay for monthly.

"Well fuck off, I bought these magic IMAX goggles just for me," I said as my wife and children are stuck watching Disney+ in 720p on a 42-inch Vizio TV I bought in 2013. "Only my eyes may gaze into the Technicolor dream world, you're all fucked."

Are we supposed to share these goggles? That doesn't sounds ever hygienic or fun. What a weird technology to wrestle with.