Post every time you buy a new game, console, or accessory

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Post every time you buy a new game, console, or accessory

Post by ian »

Free PS2 and a whole stack of games. Will update as I sort/clean them.

To be honest, I only grabbed this big bag because I saw the rockstar logo in the picture, and in the PS2 era that meant a quality game.

PS2 itself has a somewhat fucky optical drive, which I plan to fix with a free mcboot memory card and one of those cheap SATA hard drive adapters.
I've had a free mcboot card for like 5 years and have never used it.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Went to the local recycle place and got this lot for $40.

Xbox 360 x2 (1 black and 1 white. No HDDs)
Xbox 360 controllers x2 (1 black and 1 white)
1 360 power brick
Soul Calibur 4 (360)
Call Of Duty: Black Ops (360)
Gears Of War Ultimate/Rare Replay (Xbox One)
Wii Sports (Wii!)
ian wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:09 pm Free PS2 and a whole stack of games. Will update as I sort/clean them.

To be honest, I only grabbed this big bag because I saw the rockstar logo in the picture, and in the PS2 era that meant a quality game.

PS2 itself has a somewhat fucky optical drive, which I plan to fix with a free mcboot memory card and one of those cheap SATA hard drive adapters.
I've had a free mcboot card for like 5 years and have never used it.
Very nice. You can't beat free!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

PS2 games cleaned up. I can tell from the list they weren't a traditional gamer, but there's a few good games in among the shovelware. They seem to mostly know their racing aside from a really big blunder.

Crazy Golf World Tour (Shovelware - never played before)
MaXXed Out Racing (Shovelware - never played before)
Juiced (Shovelware - Have played)
The Sniper 2 (Shovelware - never played before)
Max Payne (Good - played a few times never finished)
Burnout (Good - played a few times never finished)
Burnout 3: Takedown (Good - played a few times never finished)
Finding Nemo (Shovelware - never played before)
AFL Live 2004 (Shovelware - never played before)
V8 Supercar Race Driver (Good - played a few times finished)
V8 Supercars 2 (Good - played a few times never finished)
V8 Supercars 3 (Good - played a few times finished)
Gran Tursmo 3: A-spec (Shovelware - Have played. Worst GT game ever made, and the only one I count as shovelware)
Need for Speed: Carbon (Good - played a few times finished)
AFL Premiership 2006 (Shovelware - never played before)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Shovelware - never played before)
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness (Shovelware - Have played)
Midnight Club 3 DUB edition REMIX (Unknown. Despite MC2 being one of the best racing games ever made, I never played 3 I won't call it good or shovelware till I play it)
X-treme Express: World Grand Prix (Shovelware - This could be the best bit of shovelware ever. It's TRAIN RACING! Trains are the most boring thing in the world and I clean computers for fun... I will have lots of fun with this even if it's REALLYYYYY BAD)
Kingdom Hearts (Good - played a few times never finished)
Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer (Shovelware - Have played)
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2 (Shovelware - Have played)
Guitar Hero 2 (Shovelware - Have played and yes I'm prepared to have things thrown at me.. but come on, it's shovelware! it always was a bit shit you were just too drunk with friends to care)
Road Trip Adventure (Shovelware - never played before)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (Shovelware - Have played)
Spider-Man (Shovelware - Have played)
WWE SmackDown!: Here Comes The Pain (Shovelware - never played before)
WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw (Shovelware - never played before)
WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2006 (Shovelware - never played before)
WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2006 (Shovelware - never played before)
WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2007 (Shovelware - never played before)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Good - played a few times finished)
Family Guy Video Game (Shovelware - never played before)
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Good - played a few times but only on PSP finished)

You may note that any game I don't like or am not interested in gets automatically branded as shovelware, calling this stuff BAD doesn't reflect how shit it is.
And I don't even have to have played a game for it to be shovelware, the shit I can't even be bothered playing is so bad, it's shovelware automatically.
A game has to be really, REALLY bad for me to have played it, and THEN brand it shovelware.
Personally I am glad shovelware exists though. because when your copy of tony hawk 3 or any GTA from 2015 or older has been used so much the case is starting to return to the earth, it's good that Mat Slater and Kelly hoffman SurfMX exists and never got played more than once so your good games can have a basically brand new case again!

While cleaning up the game cases I discovered 2 bonus memory cards to go with the console itself, the power and A/V cable, a black dualshock 2 and a pink dualshock 2 (Fuck everyone, the pink one is my new PS2 controller because it's like new and pink) Also a Bonus Spyro enter the dragonfly and OPSM DEMO disc (OPSM being Official PlayStation Magazine, not an optometrist)

Certainly adds to my small collection of remaining physical PS2 games (All I still had was Time Crisis 2 and 3, Virtua Cop elite edition, and Ridge Racer 5)

Zoidberg, if you don't have them already, or want more anyway, you can have all the WWE games if you want them.
Otherwise, they'll all end up on gumtree after I've ripped all of the games in the list and add them to my image pile...
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:30 am Zoidberg, if you don't have them already, or want more anyway, you can have all the WWE games if you want them.
Thanks, but I've already got them.

And how dare you call Here Comes The Pain, the AFL games, GT3 and Road Trip Adventure shovelware!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:43 am
ian wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:30 am Zoidberg, if you don't have them already, or want more anyway, you can have all the WWE games if you want them.
Thanks, but I've already got them.

And how dare you call Here Comes The Pain, the AFL games, GT3 and Road Trip Adventure shovelware!

I figured you would have them all. But you may want some more cases with WWE lenticular seals of authenticity? I didn't know. "thumbsup

And I retract my calling Here Comes The Pain, the AFL games, and Road Trip Adventure shovelware.
I apologise for offending you on those games. But Gran Turismo 3 has been Shovelware from the day it fucking came out (I played it on launch day) it will always be at BEST a piece of shit garbage shovelware game and at worst the biggest blight on the whole of the video game industry.

I'd take playing bad games for the rest of fucking eternity before I would play literally one more second of GT3.
I forgave Sony for killing the Dreamcast, but ANYONE involved in the creation of Gran Turismo 3 should be hanged.

More sense of speed can be had by watching snails in your letterbox eat this weeks junk mail.

What a fucking garbage game. And I only hate it more because it came after 2 Steller triumphs of computer technology, and racing games, and was followed by 2 Steller triumphs of racing games.

Fucking garbage.
In fact, Calling it shovelware is an insult to shovelware, which sometimes can have redeeming qualities.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So I did indeed get a cheap PS2 component cable, and a cheap HDD adapter.
Less than $37. Cable has arrived, and makes quite a stark difference to the usability of the PS2.

for $6.95 with free post, the cable is great and I'm likely to use the PS2 more because of it.

When the HDD adapter arrives I am looking forward to seeing how much faster games are on HDD than they are on Disc.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The HDD adapter works pretty well, I installed one in our PS2. One piece of advice: Look for a game list cache option in your game launcher.

I went a little nuts with filling a 2TB drive with my very legal games. But the game launcher would crawl through the list, making it almost unusable. Somewhere in the settings, there's an option for the launcher to create a cached game list which definitely speeds things up.

The second-biggest problem is finding good PS2 controllers. I tried a few options, best might be buying some of those Logitech wireless controllers or buying controller cord extensions.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I will do that Cheers. I'm using a free mcboot memory card, and from what I remember, the options on that thing were... Not insignificant.

I have a stack of drives here. I went with the SATA adaptor and not the PATA one because I figured I'd be able to expand more easily. (And I can save my older ones for the eventual Xbox mods and an old Nas I have here)
The largest PATA 3.5" I have are 500gb and I only have 2 that big whereas with SATA I literally have hundreds from 80gb to 2tb.

I highly doubt I'll need anywhere near 2tb, there's only a few dozen games I want to play on PS2 so I suspect I'll fit it with a 250-320 gb drive and that will be heaps.

As for controls, my PS2 pads are all newish condition and I'm sitting close enough to my supply of CRTs that I won't need extensions.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Retroflag PiStation Deluxe (with screen)
Mafia: Definitive Edition (Xbox)
Need For Speed Heat (Xbox)

For Australians, Core have the PiStation on special. $109 + shipping with screen, $29 + shipping without the screen.

https://core-electronics.com.au/retrofl ... eluxe.html

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Gameboy Pocket
Tetris

A childhood dream fulfilled and a U.S. Gameboy collection completed :) The local shop had one for a scant $39 USD, I can't even order a naked motherboard from China for that.

I always wanted one when I saw the neighbor kid playing Pokemon on it at the bus stop. Then the GBC came out and it seemed silly to get the Pocket.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Mega Drive Mini unboxed (came in as a donation eariler before I started work so bagged it fast, not modded for more games but the vid makes it seem simple)

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Knockoff NES and SNES controllers off Amazon.

I mention these because they aren't total dogshit! I made a NesPi4 machine as a Christmas gift to my sister, so I wanted to see if these cheap-o controllers were worth anything. Much to my surprise, both have nice buttons with some nice clickiness to them. I liked them so much I ordered more for myself.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Finally, after over a year of hunting, I finally got my hands on a PlayStation 5.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Saints Row (Xbox)
Saints Row 2 (Xbox)
Resident Evil Code Veronica X (Xbox)
Midnight Club: Los Angeles Complete Edition (Xbox)
Gods Remastered (Xbox)
Mega Man 10 (Xbox)
Puzzle Fighter HD (Xbox)

I had enough MS points to get a $25 and $5 gift cards and the games above were all on special, so I grabbed them, even though I have a bunch of them on disc already. All of them work on the 360/One/Series.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So what you're saying is... Now that you have every game ever made, you're starting to get every single version or release of every game ever made?

Kudos!

Although I am jealous of your complete European and American Gizmondo collections!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yes.

The Saints Row games are around $2 each. Might as well get them at that price with free Bing money.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Still overpriced for the first 2.
I haven't played any after that. I hear they got better, but that wouldn't have been hard. Dogshit wannabe poor man's GTA.

Apparently the later ones aren't just Poorly made, lazy, tacky clones and actually have their own personality and fun.. but fool me twice. Shame on you. Fool me into trying another saints row game, shame on everyone involved, especially me!

If everyone on earth gave me $2 each, I might consider owning even a single copy of saints row 1 OR 2. But if not, not worth it.

And I don't just hate them for being GTA clones, Hell, Mafia was one of my favourite games (aside from the ending... Fuck that ending) despite being a GTA clone. But Mafia was also a good game.

Saints row tried to be a direct copy and did the whole lot worse than GTA.

maybe if I play a saints row Remastered it can finally be better than a grand theft auto game, thanks to the definitive edition being fucking garbage... But I strongly suspect even fucking garbage, lazy cash cow piece of shit GTA will be more fun than saints row ever could be.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I can take or leave Saints Row 2, but the Third was a pretty fun dumb game. It's up there—for me—with Just Cause 2 in terms of action games, but I like that formula. Mix a generic open world, a paper-thin story line, and some satisfying action gameplay and I'm sold. Saints Row 4 went too far with the superhero powers and it got really boring.

Also:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Played an hour of both SR1 & 2, they run and look good. A lot of the issues they used to have on the 360 are gone. No crashes or bugginess so far.
pixel wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:49 am I can take or leave Saints Row 2, but the Third was a pretty fun dumb game. It's up there—for me—with Just Cause 2 in terms of action games, but I like that formula. Mix a generic open world, a paper-thin story line, and some satisfying action gameplay and I'm sold. Saints Row 4 went too far with the superhero powers and it got really boring.

Also:
I didn't mind 3 but it started getting too goofy. I just wanted San Andreas clones.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:54 am I didn't mind 3 but it started getting too goofy. I just wanted San Andreas clones.
That's well warranted, the goofiness is probably the game's biggest strength and weakness. It definitely got stale for me in the fourth one.