Fiber Optic compatible with rotary phone?

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Fiber Optic compatible with rotary phone?

Post by Calavera »

As some of you may know about a year ago fiber optic internet became available in my area. I was finally able to upgrade from the 3 megabit connection that I had for many years to a 100 megabit connection. Home phone service is also available through the same company and the phone plugs into the same box that the router plugs into. So we also got the home phone service. I had brought in a few rotary phones I had out in the barn to put them on Ebay. I knew they all worked as far as ringing and receiving calls but I was not able to make an outgoing call as they simply wouldn't work with the Straight Talk home phone box that we had at the time.

So I decided to plug one into the current "fiber optic phoneline" and see if I could place a call. I was pretty certain that it wouldn't work but I wanted to try just for fun. So I dial the time and temperature number on the rotary phone and wow it actually connected. I tried all 4 rotary phones that I had since I had never been able to test making outgoing calls and they all worked fine.

I doubt many of you will find this interesting but I thought it was pretty cool. I didn't think the pulse dialing that rotary phones use was compatible with any current phone service except maybe for an actual landline.

Since I had already taken some pics for Ebay here are 3 of the 4 phones I tested.

ian
Null Dream Team

Re: Fiber Optic compatible with rotary phone?

Post by ian »

Still have one disconnected in the shed.

I'm holding onto it because it's still better than the cut in half coke cans attached to used fishing line that our current communication network is made of.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:36 pm Still have one disconnected in the shed.

I'm holding onto it because it's still better than the cut in half coke cans attached to used fishing line that our current communication network is made of.
You need dat fibre, baby! :ocool: I bought this house about 18 months ago, fibre already installed. This is how the country should have been from the start, fucking govt...

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

Holy crap, they make a converter for this?!

Converter

I think I still have a rotary phone in the basement.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

I love how on the rotary phone the slowest number to dial is 0, and our emergency number is 000! Who’s idea is this?!?

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

And in an emergency situation it would be painfully slow... by the time the dial has wound back to the start for the second zero you've either been murdered or the burglars have long since got away.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.