Daytona USA Online Netplay

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Skynet
Site Admin

Daytona USA Online Netplay

Post by Skynet »

Has anyone ever setup a game of Daytona online via emulation? I don't want to play on 360 or PS3, although I do own it on 360, not everyone else does.

I've been looking for a good solution so a bunch of us can play Daytona using emulation online. We've had some success with Model 2 online play, although the cars did jitter around a little bit. Unfortunately for whatever reason 1 of us just couldn't get in, probably a port forwarding issue.

PS3 emulation is a bit off as textures flicker like crazy and I haven't quite figured out how to do netplay via emulation. I see someone else connect to the lobby, but the game never starts and just says waiting for others to join.

Haven't tried 360 emulation, I don't even know if there's a 360 emulator out there that will allow something like Xlink Kai to work.

I thought I'd try Dreamcast and I can play games of Quake 3 using Flycast, Daytona just seems to hang when connecting online. If I try to access the homepage from the Daytona menu, Flycast crashes completely.

Just wondering if anyone has given this a go and what got you success?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Daytona USA Online Netplay

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I haven't.

Had a look around, but all the info is either about Model 2 or PS3.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:09 pm I haven't.

Had a look around, but all the info is either about Model 2 or PS3.
Yeah that's about as far as I got. Shame, really. I might look more into Model 2 then, see if we can iron out the bugs we had, but I suspect with what we had it's as good as it's going to be

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dude, if you figure it out, I’d be down for some Daytona.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

So Model 2 works in token ring configuration. That does work, so long as you and everyone else sets up the token ring correctly. Model 2 doesn't look amazing, compared to PS3/360 but it'd feel more authentic to the arcade.

What I've been trying for PS3 is this. http://www.mediafire.com/file/0k04gusjq ... 2.zip/file This build runs Daytona perfectly, just make sure you set fps limit to 60. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get networking to work on it. If I can figure out networking on this build, this would be the one to use.

Using the latest stable RPCS3 I can somewhat get netplay working. I successfully created a lobby and saw a mate join it. We couldn't get the game to ever start. Maybe my vpn was interfering, I dunno. I'll try it again without VPN at some point. The problem is Daytona doesn't emulate properly on the stable RPCS3, hence the custom one in the mediafire link.

If I can just figure out how to get either the custom one online, or the stable build to work properly I'll be set for PS3.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

After hours of testing and searching, I've basically come up with the following:

Model 2 Emulator - Appears to work fine, so long as you know how to setup token ring configuration. Other cars (CPU and other players) seem a tad jittery. Previously tested both Daytona and Sega Rally on LAN and via Internet. Setting the fullscreen resolution to 1080p and 'FilterTilemaps=1' makes it look less garbage at full screen

Dreamcast - Daytona not currently supported for online play anymore. See https://dreamcastlive.net/games/

360 - Not familiar with any 360 emulator that has any form of network support, hopefully Xenia supports Xlink or similar in the future, if it doesn't already

PS3 - Everything looked like it should work. I have managed to get multiple players in an online lobby multiple times. The game never starts and keeps showing "Waiting for players" even if the lobby appears full. Unsure if this is currently playable online, couldn't find any definitive answer anywhere

PC - There may be a version on PC that supports networking but I didn't see it any of the versions I tried

OrangeRibbon
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by OrangeRibbon »

what about arcade and some net play?

https://kaillerareborn.github.io/

I read it isn't the most secure, so it is best hosted on a VM, but it might be worth looking into.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Emulators
Atari800Win PLus (Atari 8bit systems)
CCS64 (Commodore 64)
ePSXe (Sony PlayStation)
Gens (Sega Megadrive / Genesis)
MAME32++ (Arcades, Neo·Geo)
Meisei (Microsoft MSX)
Mupen64++ (Nintendo 64)
Nestopia (Nintendo Entertainment System - NES)
Nostalgia (Mattel Intellivision)
Project64k (Nintendo 64)
Snes9k (Super Nintendo Entertainment System - SNES)
WinUAE-Kaillera (Commodore Amiga)

From what I can tell, Model2 doesn't work all that flash on Mame and your best bet is the standalone Model2 emulator

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:18 pm I've been looking for a good solution so a bunch of us can play Daytona using emulation online. We've had some success with Model 2 online play, although the cars did jitter around a little bit. Unfortunately for whatever reason 1 of us just couldn't get in, probably a port forwarding issue.
I realize this topic is almost 2 years old but if you are still looking for a way to play Daytona USA online have you tried Teknoparrot? It supports netplay as far as I know and also runs

Daytona Championship USA

and Sega Racing Classic

Sega Racing Classic is just the original Daytona USA. It does have some graphical glitches though.

You might also look into the Model 3 emulator Supermodel. It runs Daytona USA 2 perfectly in HD and it looks amazing!

Out of all these my vote would definitely be for Daytona USA 2. If you haven't tried it before I highly recommend you get Supermodel and give it a try. It is much better than the original Daytona USA imo. Also I think Supermodel would be easier to work with for getting netplay going. I haven't really looked into it but I see there are several tutorial videos on youtube showing how to set netplay up. If you are still into this idea and can get an online match of Daytona 2 going I for sure want to be part of it!

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Did briefly look into that and when I downloaded it there was a text file saying "this is a virus" lmao. I did manage to play some Daytona 2 but in the end I just opted for RPCS3 + Daytona USA as you can play some games online with RPCS3. Worked awesome, we had quite a bit of fun playing online.

https://wiki.rpcs3.net/index.php?title= ... ility_List

The biggest issue I had with the Model 1 and Model 2 emulators is the token ring setup you have to do. As I was playing with mates, it was just easier to say "Download this emulator, create an RPCN name, let's play" as it was less hassle to get everyone onboard.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:38 pm Did briefly look into that and when I downloaded it there was a text file saying "this is a virus" lmao
For which program? I feel like Teknoparrot was sketchy to download for awhile.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Calavera wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:54 am
Skynet wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:38 pm Did briefly look into that and when I downloaded it there was a text file saying "this is a virus" lmao
That was in Teknoparrot :olol:

I never played much of the Daytona games besides the first, so that's what I have nostalgia for. Although it's not the arcade version, the PS3 version via emulation with netplay worked very well. We had a lot of fun playing online.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Skynet wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:02 am

I never played much of the Daytona games besides the first, so that's what I have nostalgia for. Although it's not the arcade version, the PS3 version via emulation with netplay worked very well. We had a lot of fun playing online.
If you are interested in any of the games Teknoparrot emulates I highly recommend you give it another go. It is actually a really good emulator. Here is the compatibility list if you want to just take a look at what games it emulates.

https://teknogods.github.io/compatibility.html

If you decide to give it a go send me a PM and I can let you know where you can get the games from.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

Calavera wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:27 pm
Skynet wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:02 am

If you are interested in any of the games Teknoparrot emulates I highly recommend you give it another go. It is actually a really good emulator. Here is the compatibility list if you want to just take a look at what games it emulates.

https://teknogods.github.io/compatibility.html

If you decide to give it a go send me a PM and I can let you know where you can get the games from.
Maybe I'll give it another go and see how I go. I'll post back if/when I do