Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Movie Thoughts/Reviews Thread

Post by pixel »

I watched it at my uncle's house, but with my in-laws. My wife's mom thought it was a complete waste of time, her dad thought it was hilarious. Neither seemed real concerned with the story or its subplot about family and acceptance.

The main concept of the movie is amazing, and I'd recommend that everyone see the first third of the movie. The how and why behind traveling through the multiverse is one of the most imaginative sci-fi ideas I've seen in years. The plot goes absurd quickly and the comedy acting is great.

There's a larger dramatic theme about family that underpins the whole movie, and makes the 140-minute runtime feel bloated. It spends so much time working through this family's problems and it feels like whiplash to go from fast-paced martial arts fun to mother-daughter drama.

On my scale, I'd still give Everything Everywhere All At Once an A- because I think it's worth checking out. It's nearly a B+, but the core action of the flick is so awesome that you've got to see it. Stream now, buy the Blu-ray later if you like it.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:57 am watched Jaclass 4ever last week & laughed my tits off, say 4.5 the other night & while its got a fair bit of background type stuff it has ernough new stunts in to also be worth watching, 4ever for non-stop Jackass fun though
Blackout room had me wheezing so bad, that bit was so good :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: B

Pretty funny, and I think it's a shame that Jim Carrey doesn't want to act anymore because he's pretty good as Robotnik. I was also finally able to convince my wife that the Sonic franchise, overall, is cursed. Shadow makes an appearance during the credits, which made me laugh so she asks why. I'm a big Sonic fan, and she's always curious why I shit talk about it all the time.

After watching some cut scenes from 2005's Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, she understands now.

Morbius: C

It sucks, but it's Jared Leto as a superhero vampire so some concessions need to be made. He transforms into the Goth King at one point, which is cool.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I watched Beavis and Butt-head do the universe.

I had a lot of fun because it was hilarious, as soon as I saw it was written by Lew Morton as well as Mike Judge, I knew it would be a great watch.
For those who don't know the name Lewis Morton, well he is the best Futurama writer.

But something that kept nagging at me through the whole movie was one of the voices. Each time the right hand man spoke, I simply kept waiting for him to say: Hi, I'm Elfo!
I'd have given Stephen Root those lines, and given Elfo Roots line.

Aside from that it was spot on, and Gary Cole being in it was a nice surprise as well.
Ooooh, about that!

David Herman was perfectly utilised for once as opposed to his being criminally underused in most things he's in.

If paramount plus keeps up with this level of quality, I'll be on past the trial period, that's for sure.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:55 pm Everything Everywhere All At Once: I really liked it, but it was a bit too long. If you pick one martial arts-family dramedy to watch this summer, pick this one.
I've now given this a watch. It's not the absolute must see, best thing ever! that various people are more than happy to call a must see.

It's quite good and I enjoyed it, but I feel like it suffers from Adventure Time disease where a good and enjoyable piece of entertainment is hyped up and oversold to such a point that I'm actually disappointed after the fact.
From people telling me to watch it I was expecting its Sci Fi to make Back to the Future look like shit. I was expecting the Comedy to make Spaceballs, Dumb and Dumber, Office Space and Zoolander all worthless and I was expecting drama so good that all of the boring films made before 1970 considered the greatest of all time would no longer be preserved in favour of this ultimate movie being the only thing any single person would ever need or want to watch ever again...
I liked the movie, but it's not an 'Instant classic' or 'The best comedy in decades' or even a 'must see'

It's an enjoyable movie, now I will shut up about it and never recommend it to anyone because it already has enough people sucking its dick.
It's a shame too, because I would suggest it otherwise.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

watched Paws of Fury last night & had a feeling something was a little familier, the feeling persisted until the bad guys hired goons were given beans then it was all clear, yes its a kid friendly remake of Blazing Sadles. Dont be put off by the kid friendly thing though as I still managed to enjoy it quite a lot, no doubt you'll be playing spot the Blazing Sadle moments when you watch it & there are quite a few which I wont spoil. Overall a fine way to kill just under 90 minutes, a they even joke about the runtime, so its well worth a watch & if you got kids or younger releatives that aren't yet quite up to the full Blazing Sadles then this will do nicely

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I finally saw Terrifer 2 and it was fucking great. Just two hours of depraved violence. A total throwback to those old school slashers.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Watched 3 films lately which left varying amounts of impact on me so heres some quick thoughts starting with:
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham
Pretty much the usual standard for an animated Batman tale, the animation was good & the prohibition era setting was a little jarring at first but works. Several changes to a bunch of characters & their origins in this one so very my an 'Elseworlds' kind of thing but enjoyable

Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre
You'll rember this from the trailers & if you're expecting the same standards from Jason Statham as normal you wont be disapointed as he does his usal good work here, plotwise its not gonna break the mould but who watches these for a high brow plot anyway? (if they are they're in the wrong place) I mean its not a dumb movie (thats the next one I'm gonna mention) but there is a fair bit of action & if the Batman one doesnt work for you go for this instead, you will not be dissapointed

Cocaine Bear
After seeing the trailers for this I though to myself 'What a ridiculious idea' & I was right it is ridiculious, in all the right ways. I can safely say out of the 3 films mentioned here Operation Fortune will give you a good time but for sheer dumb fun that will have you laughing your arse off at times you cant got wrong with Cocaine Bear, I barely need to add anything because the trailers summed it up perfectly I mean they're a review & add for the film all in one just switch off your brain for 95 minutes & enjoy, theres not many films I've laughed out load to lately but by god this is one. Nice tribue to Ray Liotta at the end as well, guess this was his last film

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Saw Scooby-Doo! And Krypto, Too! the other day & I can see why they picked it to use as a tax write off, it feels less a film & more of a strecbhed out episode of Scooby Doo really, it will kill a little time but theres many better options out there unless you are mad about Scooby or just curious to see what its like for youself

Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
Now this is more like it, not your friendly bear from the old days, Pooh & co have gone bad but in a very good way. If you've ever wanted Pooh bear furned up to max bear (thats normal max bear, not Cocaine Bear max) then this is the film for you, dont want to ruin too much of it but think good ol slasher film & you're pretty much there & best of all a sequel is already in the works & currently set for a Feb 2024 release, the lesson here seems to be if you go down to the 100 acre woods your'e sure of a nasty surprise. If you had to pick one of those 2 to watch go for this one

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm going to have to rewatch it with that in mind. I only saw it once in theaters as a kid so didn't pick up on any of that. It isn't streaming but it's on Archive

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I don't know if I'm ready to rewatch the 1993 movie, it still gives me a sick feeling. :olol: It's too simplistic to say it was a disappointment and a little too dramatic to say it traumatized me. There's just no contemporary experience for a child today that could match what a spectacular bumblefuck that was Super Mario Bros.

My mom took me to see it in theaters and the rest of my family stayed home. The showing was deserted except for us and a few other weirdos who paid to see a matinee. Mom slept through the whole thing so I was the only person I knew that pay witness to that nightmare.

I'm actually quite happy that the new movie is an inoffensive, dumb animated movie.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Holy shit look at the soundtrack

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Deadstream (2022)
I enjoyed this movie. Normally I'm not into supernatural stuff, horror, psychological thrillers, or that kind of movie at all.
But this was more comedy than anything else. Seeing as all I usually enjoy are comedies, this was great fun.

I genuinely had a really fun time, and a few laughs I wasn't expecting in there. Because when it's not making it's own jokes, it's making fun of the tropes that real movies that try to be serious use.
It's not as funny as something that's trying to be a comedy with a weird premise, but it's funnier than any other horror/supernatural film (and that includes Ghostbusters Afterlife) I've seen in a long time, so that makes it worth it in my eyes.

Plane (2023)
Standard action fare. I had not Seen Gerard Butler since like 300... And before that 2004's The Phantom of the Opera. He's aged quite well. And this movie is an action movie! I'd watch a sequel (which is happening and is called ship) but probably never watch this again. A perfect disposable waste of time bit of fun... Like name pretty much any action film.

Poker Face (2022)
I tried to watch this, but as soon as I saw Russel Crowe I immediately said loudly:
"OI! DON'T YA INTERRUPT ME YA VAGINA!!!"
and
"YOU FIGHT LIKE NORWEGIANS, YA FAIRIES!!!"
and
"WHY DON'T YOU GO FLUSH YOURSELF DOWN A TOILET YA CUNT!"
And immediately stopped watching the film to watch south park. South Park forever ruined my ability to see Crowe in anything that's not Fightin' Around the World... YA TESTICLE!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I watched Metalocalypse: Army of the Doomstar.

It was like seeing a friend you haven't seen in forever (10 years) and picking up right where you left off. I knew what to expect and I knew what it would be like, but I think this final movie wasn't as good in music or comedy as the series has always been. It had a few bangers and it had a few small laughs here and there, but from the highlights of the old days the only thing I can put it down to is Brendon Small getting older and less brutal/more mellow.
Too much Synths, organs and orchestras and not enough high paced death/thrash/black. I normally wouldn't oppose those things for the lack of metal, indeed the last movie had lots of non metal and it was amazing, and trademark Toki entirely non metal songs throughout the series have always been amazing. But the series throughout it's run was ALWAYS a love letter to metal, this final movie feels like a P.S. at the end of the letter, and not one final agonizing deep pitched screaming of lyrics you can't even understand.

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm older? but more likely I think it's because Brendon Small is older now, and has wanted to make this for a long, long time now. For the whole of the show before this he was in his 30's, and now he's 48, it's the least metal of metalocalypse so maybe he's just not as angry or energetic as a decade ago.
I am so happy it finally exists though. There were so many cameos and callbacks without it ever feeling like it was relying on them. And the show finally has the ending it should have been given 9 years ago.

I hope to be seeing/hearing more of Brendon Small now that the Metalocalypse is over though.

The biggest letdown was the lack of Mark Hamill delivering one of the increasingly hilarious expert names. Just one last time I'd have loved to have had a "Vicenzo de Alimamala Corningston the 3rd", or a "Horace Marmingblat Wimplestein Jr" or "Dr. Tormindbind Mickmildididindnin" or a "Dr. Milminaman lanilimswinwamly" Etc. I'd entirely forgive the music and jokes being worse if they'd had this one last thing.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I've checked out Rebel Moon Part one: Legally distinct from Samurai 7 and star wars.

Oh boy was this movie so absolutely simple it became confusing. I had to have 4 breaks watching this, I don't think I've ever had 4 breaks in a movie ever. But I did make it to the end instead of just turning it off, so it seems to have done something right: Setting up the franchise.

And sure, you could basically dub over every single scene with Star Wars dialogue. No complaints there though.
No real issues with the how to train your dragon scene, or when the swords became light sabers for some reason. Or the fact they seemed to want to, but were too afraid to go full on Mary-Sue the whole way through the film.
I have no quarrels with Charlie Hunnams bad accent and endless tropes.

But Jesus fucking Christ, dial back the fucking bullet time. The matrix was like 24 years ago.
For how few actual scenes of action the movie had, there sure was a loooot of fucking extreme slow motion.
Slight firefight? That's slow Mo! Running? Slow Mo! bits of gravel and sand falling or some grass growing or paint drying??? Oh you'd better god damn believe that needs slow Mo!

This movie uses more god damn slow motion than Michael Bay has used explosions in his whole career.

Not sure I'll watch more, but if they launch the next part when I'm waiting for more good star wars they'll have a chance to get me back. I expect the next one to be made entirely in slow motion.

Also watched Please Don't Destroy: The Treasure of Foggy Mountain.
A standard low budget, low expectations comedy affair. It wasn't great, but it wasn't absolutely shit and devoid of life either.
Entirely forgettable, about the best and most memorable things about it were Conan O'Brien and John Goodman who elevate the entire movie with their small presence.

Without either of them I'd have struggled a little bit to finish it to be perfectly honest.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Watched Cocaine Cougar last night, WTF? watched it last night & can forgive the bad acting & expected some ropy effects, what I got was a film that was padded with stock footage to boost the runtime (why when its only about 40 minutes I have no idea) & the Cougar effects had me in tears of laughter. It spends most of the time its on screen, which is rarely, hovering above the ground & at one point turns like it has Resident Evil tank controls & I just lost it. I wondered if it was a tax write off like Warner did with Batgirl but then it wouldnt have seen the light of day so my only conclusion is the "money" ran out part way through so they never filmed an ending (assuming they planned one) or got to do work on the effects of which not only is the cougar hilarious but the blood post attack is really bad as well, would it have been that hard to space some red paint around like an old western? it woulda loofed better
Rewatched Blind Fury, god I wish I'd watched it after Cocaine Cougar to wash the taste out, nice 1080p remaster of this classic Rutger Hauer film which remains just as fun as ever & if you aint seen it yet or its been a while go watch it, you wont be disapointed

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

New ghostbusters!!!

A good movie, but a terrible Ghostbusters movie if that makes sense.
When it's not squandering the comedic talents of Paul Rudd and Patton Oswalt it's limping along being a paranormal drama.

If I wanted a drama I'd watch any number of soap operas or actual dramas. This movie very nearly forgets ghostbusters is supposed to be a comedy entirely.
But saving it from entirely forgetting what it's supposed to be is Kumail Nanjiani who singlehandedly saves the whole thing. A bright spark of smiles and laughs in a comedy that falls flat.
... Less jokes than Afterlife which itself had less jokes than 2016. But afterlife felt like a ghostbusters movie, this, along with 2016 just doesn't.

In the past, cast members of Silicon Valley have saved the franchise from beyond redemption. indeed Neil Casey and Zach Woods were basically the only great parts of 2016. And this time Kumail has done it.

After the last ghostbusters movie, I said I'd see more when there was more. After this one, I'm probably done with the franchise, and the makers should be too.
If people are wanting a paranormal drama, this should tick the boxes, and you'll have a good time.

But if you're expecting a comedy IE GHOSTBUSTERS. the price of admission would probably be better spent on 4K Blu-rays of all the other movies. Or the 2009 game. Pity. If they called it something else I'd have liked it more.. same as 2016...
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

The movie itself was fine, not a bad movie. Made me laugh where it was supposed to. But yeah my biggest complaint is:
Spoiler
'real girl wanting to be friends with ghost girl because sad' just seemed like a waste of those parts of the movie
Other than that I don't have any real complaints. I'll watch it again once it hits streaming. I went and saw it in Lux, so there's already very few people in the cinema but there were 2 people sitting in front of me and 2 people in the same seats as me on the opposite end of the row. There were 6 people total, including me and my gf. :olol:
Spoiler
I was really hoping we'd see Rick Moranis make a surprise cameo in some form, but I understand why it was never going to happen

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I don't think we'll see it in theaters but I guarantee we'll watch it at home. It's such a borked franchise.

I like light-hearted comedies set in New York City with a paranormal undertone. Bonus points if the soundtrack features a popular R&B act. So when Ghostbusters moves out to Nebraska and becomes a melodrama with a Stranger Things pastiche, I'm a lot less interested.