Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Video Game & Tech Videos Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

With the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X hitting stores this week, I bet you're wondering how these launches will compare to some of the great system debuts of all time. Will they hit as hard as the Dreamcast? Will they have a killer app as good as the Nintendo 64? Or will they fumble out of the gate like the Saturn? These are all good questions. And in order to find the answers, I'm going to embark on a four-episode journey where we analyze console launches throughout history, all through the eyes of one of my favorite video game magazines -- Electronic Gaming Monthly.

For this series, we're going to talk about the history and importance of each launch, all while seeing what the EGM review crew had to say about the system's earliest games. This is going to be an epic and comprehensive journey that will takes us through nearly two dozen consoles and hundreds of launch games. We're going to start with the 16-bit consoles of the late 1980s and early 90s, work our way through the 32-bit war, check in with a bunch of PlayStation sequels, as well as couple Xboxes and then eventually end with the Wii. Oh, and don't forget about all those handhelds. EGM covered a total of 23 different consoles, and we're going to look at each and every one of them.

Welcome back to EGM and the Launch Games, the show where we look at the history of console launches through the eyes of Electronic Gaming Monthly. When we last left off, the 16-bit console war was just starting to heat up and handheld gaming had become a reality, thanks to the Game Boy, Game Gear and Lynx. But that was just the start of our adventure, as you'll see from part 2 of this four-part series.

In today's episode, we're going to continue our trek through the 1990s by talking about the launch of both the Sega CD and Sega 32X. This will lead into the Atari Jaguar and Virtual Boy, followed by the three biggest consoles of the mid-1990s. I'm of course talking about the Sony PlayStation, Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64. We're going to talk about one of the greatest launch games of all time, as well as the most disastrous system debut of the entire series.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Thanks for the post :) EGM was my favorite magazine back then

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It was one of my faves as well.

Sega Power 47 proudly proclaimed the slightly struggling Mega CD had a saviour. That this saviour was a conversion of a year old Amiga game might perhaps be a confusing choice.

Meanwhile a viable commercial plan for a video game in 1993 was still "Licence a packet of crisps" but that was still a better idea than licencing the 2nd most popular toy based movie of the early 90s...

In 1998, a Need for Speed title was released that took racing games to a whole other level for me. It combined arcade racing, tons of options, and multiplayer from the gods. Here is my review.

Riff and Ricky get to enjoy their biggest dig ever on the show! They head to a in person ebay store where everything MUST GO! Later Riff makes a deal on a Sega Genesis bundle that may fall through if he does not act fast enough! Will he get it? or will the deal go south?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

These are the internet versions of the first season of the Game Chasers in one nice convenient video so you can casually play in the background or force everyone at parties to watch all the way through.

Episode 295 - The look at the Sega Ages continues with all of the titles released on the PlayStation 2. Most of them were only released in Japan. So many games were released that I have to divide this up into two long parts

It starts with Ninjabread Man and it goes on FOREVER.

By patron request of Jon, it's our first (of likely a fair few) full look at a European exclusive for NES: Imagineer's impressive conversion of British microcomputer classic Elite. I won't even pretend to show off the full depth of the game here; it's a complex and intricate game that requires extensive play to master, whereas I struggle with not dying at the hands of marauders the instant I come out of warp in a system local to the game's starting point.

I may not be adept at this particular simulation, but I can recognize how impressive a conversion this is... even if the hardware REALLY wasn't designed for it.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

A 3 hour Pac-Man review. A bit short.

Episode 296 - It's time for that classic battle of the two main 16-bit consoles! Of course this battle wouldn't be complete without Dave's help! What a time it was to be alive with two absolutely excellent videogame choices!

Yard sale hunting pickups, PS4 & Xbox One games, lot's of LEGO figures, Mega Man toys, & Pokemon cards.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

After the dreadful Invisible War, Eidos Montreal took up the Deus Ex mantle and made a game that captured most of what I loved about the original.

Ricky, Riff, Gabbo and Mort take a deep look into Mort's MAJOR accomplishment...and thats getting every US Nintendo 64 game AND all in the BOX! WOW! Not just that...but we talk about the past and the fun times playing and collecting for such a huge staple in the world that is Nintendo!

Welcome back to part 3 of EGM and the Launch Games, our exclusive look at two decades' worth of console launches shown through the eyes of Electronic Gaming Monthly. When we last checked in, we were finishing off the Genesis add-ons and working our way through the 32- and 64-bit era. Between 1989 and 1998, we've seen consoles come and go, major companies fumble the ball and new players steal the spotlight, all while the Game Boy quietly sticks around for a full decade.

With the rise of gaming out of the way, it's finally time to start talking about the industry going mainstream. This was the exact moment when everybody started to realize that gaming wasn't some niche hobby, but rather a multi-billion-dollar business that rivaled movies, music and television. And with the internet powering online gaming, nobody knew how big this thing could get. As a result, you started to see companies like Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo take each launch a lot more seriously. Gone are the days of four or five launch games, because the Dreamcast, Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube all launched with between 15 and 30 games each. We've definitely entered a new level for gaming.

Welcome back to the fourth and final episode of EGM and the Launch Games, the show where we analyze two decade's worth of console launches through the eyes of Electronic Gaming Monthly. Over the past few weeks, we've looked at the rise of the 16-bit consoles, the growing pains of the 32-bit generation and the mainstreaming of the modern era. We've seen the industry go from arcade ports to computer ports, from mascot heroes to first-person heroes, from Mario to ... well ... Mario. Some things never change.

In today's episode, we've finally made it to the final five consoles that EGM had the honor of covering. This not only includes the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii, but also the Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable. We're going to see if anything can top the Nintendo 64 as the best-reviewed launch line-up of all time.

Now, it's finally time to dive head-first into the final episode of EGM and the Launch Games.

Another Capcom creation this week. It's not quite up there with the company's best work, but you can see their collective spirit in action here—Gun.Smoke hits on a lot of popular Capcom beats all at once. It's a vertically scrolling shooter, themed around American pop culture (in this case, Western movies), whose home port contains a number of embellishments over the coin-op title to make it better suited for the NES. Despite the compromises it suffered in coming home, Gun.Smoke plays well on NES and makes a lasting impression, making it yet another top-flight creation for a valuable NES third party

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 70 - On this episode of Let's Read, it's just the fourth issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly, which was probably on newsstands sometime in late September or early October. This issue was interesting for me because it comes right after the launch of both the Sega Genesis and the TurboGrafx-16, and therefore has launch games featured in the reviews as well as in the "fact files". The fact that Ghouls 'N Ghosts was the cover story didn't hurt, either!

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The All-new 8BitDo wireless Arcade stick is Amazing!
In this video, we take aloe at the all new 8bitDo wireless Arcade stick, This works with the Nintendo Switch Windows PC, ANdroid tablets and phones, and even the Raspberry Pi!
It incorporates Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz technology for wireless connectivity but you can also use this one USB if it really comes down to and it works with the 8BitDo Ultimate Software so you can customize every button!
If you’ve been looking into picking up a Wireless arcade stick for the Switch Android PC of the Raspberry Pi I think this is an awesome option!

Buy It On Amazon: https://amzn.to/3o4bPEM
Learn More Here: https://www.8bitdo.com/arcade-stick/

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:23 am
The All-new 8BitDo wireless Arcade stick is Amazing!
In this video, we take aloe at the all new 8bitDo wireless Arcade stick, This works with the Nintendo Switch Windows PC, ANdroid tablets and phones, and even the Raspberry Pi!
It incorporates Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz technology for wireless connectivity but you can also use this one USB if it really comes down to and it works with the 8BitDo Ultimate Software so you can customize every button!
If you’ve been looking into picking up a Wireless arcade stick for the Switch Android PC of the Raspberry Pi I think this is an awesome option!

Buy It On Amazon: https://amzn.to/3o4bPEM
Learn More Here: https://www.8bitdo.com/arcade-stick/
I'm really tempted to pick one of these up. I think it looks sick, but I was an NES kid and never got one of those Advantage arcade pads.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It looks cool but I doubt I would ever use it over a control pad.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I've been playing more shumps, and my hand cramps up when I use a regular controller for games like 19XX. :olol:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Spanning 19 years you can play multiplayer games with any combination of Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One S|X, and now for the first time Xbox Series S|X but utilizing System-Link - a form of multiplayer gaming that was introduced in 2001 with the Original Xbox and still supported in 2020 with the Xbox One.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The guys head off to Colorado to go to the Colorado Springs Flea market with Game Sack Joe...in the bitter cold. Then back at home game chasing takes a weird turn as Chris makes a gamble on a mystery box at the flea market. Will he strike gold or will he lose his mind and throw a fit?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Despite seemingly insurmountable challenges, it's been an incredible year for technology, hardware and of course, games! In this special presentation, John Linneman reveals his favourite titles of the year.

Our retrospective look back at a tumultuous 2020 continues with Alex Battaglia's personal picks for his favourite PC games of the year. Note that we're talking about games here, not especially graphics - we've got that covered elsewhere on the channel!

(Spoilers for New Vegas, obviously)

GTV 108 “The Story of Super Mario World” On November 21, 1990 The Super Famicom and Super Mario Bros. 4 were let out into the world!! Let's celebrate!!

Here we are. A list of my top 100 worst computer and video games of all time. Featuring plenty from all your favourite machines from the ZX Spectrum to the PS2, the SNES and Mega Drive, C64 and Amiga. Lots of stories about these shocking creations, dreadful arcade ports, terrible licensed games, and raging at the most hated and awful titles gaming has to offer. It's a two hour spectacular countdown! Enjoy.

The year is 2007 and you better lock your doors, because Paris Hilton just got out of jail. This was also the year when Spider-Man 3 danced to the top of the box office charts, Aqua Teen Hunger Force triggered a real-life bomb scare and Soulja Boy Tell'em told us about a brand-new dance that everybody promptly forgot. But we're not here to watch me crank it, watch me roll and then Superman that ho, because today we're counting down Electronic Gaming Monthly's Worst Reviewed Games of 2007. Now watch me yuuuuuuuu!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Nvidia's GT 740 came in both DDR3 and GDDR5 variants, and it seems that the DDR3 version might just be the last non-OEM or mobile graphics card ever released that uses this memory. So what can it do?

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge was released in 1991 by LucasFilm Games, 1 year after The Secret of Monkey Island shook up the world of adventure games for the better. Monkey 2 is regarded as a favourite among many adventure game fans, but how well does it match up to its predecessor?

Let's look at the games that were released on the Genesis and 32X. Were they any better on Sega's 32-bit add-on?

Konami knocks it out of the park yet again with one of the greatest arcade conversions ever to hit the NES: Cooperative platform shooter Contra. It's a rare example of a coin-op title being ported faithfully to NES and somehow improving on the source material despite the move to inferior hardware. With its tight level design, inventive bosses, impressive weapons, and slightly combative cooperative gameplay, Contra is a true NES classic that continues to be a great time more than 30 years later.

The Game Chasers are two friends hunting for retro video games in flea markets, garage sales, game stores, and people's homes! The second season finds the guys going to Washington DC, an arcade auction, and Las Vegas as they continue to build their gaming collections and meet new and interesting people along the way...and aliens.

Riff and his pal Ant Man take to the swap meet to see what glorious goodies may be out there! Good news....stuff is out there! Also Riff shows off a sweet Video Games VHS and a TINY Retro TV goodie that was sent to him

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Here I take a look at the final games that were released for the Sega Genesis in North America.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:49 am
Here I take a look at the final games that were released for the Sega Genesis in North America.
I really liked this retrospective, because 1995-98 were some of the most memorable years for me.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Video games cost more. That’s bad. It’s always bad. Don’t pay more for games. That’s bad.
Today I explain why the reasons publishers have given for this change aren’t particularly believable.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

For Your Eyes Only.
Footage of the canceled GoldenEye XBLA remake from 2007, full game on 00 Agent, 4k 60FPS and thirty minutes of multiplayer games. Played on Xenia emulator to achieve a higher resolution.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 302 - It's time once again to take a look at more interesting games that were never released outside of Japan. You're missing out if you haven't played some of these games!