The Emulation Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: The Emulation Thread

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:42 am
Dutch Crunch are a very underrated chip

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've never heard of them.

I just Googled "Dutch Crunch" and all the links are about tiger bread.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Old Dutch makes them over in Minnesota, and are up there with stroopwafels in the Dutch food pantheon.

I grew up on the original and BBQ flavors, those can come in a big box with two chip bags inside:

Back in college, I discovered that these boxes could fit beer cans. So I used to take one of the potato chip bags out, put 8-12 beer cans of Michelob Golden Light in, and put the other bag of chips on top. Then when I went to underage parties, I could chug the beers and eat the chips when I got drunk.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dolphin MMJR makes it possible to play Gamecube games at full speed on low-end and Mid Range Android phones and tablets! I've been testing the newest version of Dolphin MMJR on a few android tablets and phones powered by Mid-range chipsets like Snapdragon 720, Snapdragon 730, Mediatek Helio G95, and the Demesnsity 700,720 and I’m very impressed with how well this Gamecube emulation works! IN this video I show you how to set up The Dolphin MMJR Gamecube emulator on your android phone, From installing the APK, Setting up a controller and the setting I use for Gamecube games on t=my lowered android devices. A big shout out to Bankaimaster999, weihuoya for the Orginal MMJ build, and the whole Dolphin EMU team!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Some people still put down emulation even in this day and age. I compare it like this, if you could emulate your butt you'd do it so why not emulate Atari Jaguar?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

AetherSX2 is a new PS2 emulator for Android that is currently in alpha testing. In this video, we take a look at the performance of AetherSX2 across a wide range of processors.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

My thoughts about the recent and final Xbox Back Compat updates, Phill Spencer's comments about the need for "legal emulation" and why hobbyist emulation is what will preserve video games.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

WCCF Tech wrote:The latest version of the popular Xbox 360 PC emulator, Xenia, adds support for various post-processing effects, as well as support for Variable Refresh Rates.

The team behind the project has released a new update for the Xenia emulator, resulting in vastly enhanced visuals, more detail, and reduced latency when playing Xbox 360 titles on PC.

“Specifically, with this new update, Xenia will look more beautiful than it ever looked before - at a low, or even near-zero, performance cost!”, Xenia graphics programmer ‘Triang3l’ writes. “This is achieved thanks to the magical wonders of the image post-processing effects developed in the industry, as well as changes to the emulator that help the newly added filters shine in an Xbox 360 emulation environment.”

“Additionally, the update brings OS presentation and window interaction reworks, in particular, that help reduce the image output latency and provide more stable frame pacing.”

The following new features have been added through the new Xenia version:

Post-processing effects added in the new update:

The gorgeous AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 1.0, also known as FSR, for very high-quality edge-preserving and sharpness-restoring upscaling even from sub-720p to the resolutions of modern monitors!

AMD FidelityFX Contrast Adaptive Sharpening, or CAS, enhancing the fidelity of the picture especially in the areas where it’s needed the most.

NVIDIA Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing 3.11 — FXAA — eliminating jaggies in the image regardless of what anti-aliasing method the game uses internally, or if it doesn’t at all, and especially useful in combination with FSR or CAS so they have good edges to enhance.
Dithering with a blue noise pattern to increase the smoothness of gradients.

Non-square resolution scaling added recently — most interestingly, the 1x2 and 2x1 modes, which significantly improve the amount of detail with a much smaller performance impact than 2x2 — now providing near-native quality when combined with FSR and FXAA!

Variable Refresh Rate support, as well as presentation threading improvements, for reducing the latency before the game’s output appears on screen.

High DPI monitor support and other window system interaction enhancements.

The latest Xenia build can be downloaded from the project’s official website.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

MAME - the Multi Arcade Machine Emulator turned 25 years old. In this episode we take a look at the early days and its importance to emulation.
When was the first time you used MAME?

I think I first used it early 1999 to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:24 am When was the first time you used MAME?

I think I first used it early 1999 to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Exact dates are fuzzy for me, but I remember playing a lot of 19XX, Waku Waku 7 and Windjammers. Those Mega Man fighting games were fun too.

We got our first PowerPC Mac (iMac DV SE) for Christmas 1999, so I probably started playing MAME sometime in 2000.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:24 amWhen was the first time you used MAME?
I never played arcade games on my PC, so I’ve never had Mame installed. Having said that, I did use CoinOps a lot on the OG Xbox. As I’m pretty sure it used Mame backend, it would have been sometime in the early 2010’s.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

melancholy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:49 am
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:24 amWhen was the first time you used MAME?
I did use CoinOps a lot on the OG Xbox.
Oh man, I loved CoinOps. It might be my favorite frontend ever. The OG Xbox was the pinnacle of homebrew and emulation, especially because it ran MAME quite well.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »