The Red Dead Thread (RDR1 coming to Switch/PS4 Aug 17)

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: The Red Dead Thread

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

not sure if this one had more detail, might do

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

it says they are leaked images from outlaw pass 5, the fake straw beard looks odd but not entirely something Rockstar wouldnt do so maybe

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So I’ve played a bit over the past week.

I’m not too into it. But conking over or into other animals on my horse is a lot of fun.
I even climbed a cliff by running my horse full pelt into the cliff and hurling myself up it.

First rockstar game where I’m not trying to do absolutely everything, most side quests and strangers get robbed and forgotten.

The controls are pissing me off somewhat, What with each button having 40 million things assigned to it.
Tap square to jump, but hold it for 1.2 seconds to swap hats, hold it for 3 seconds and you can antagonise people but hold l3 and tap twice then hold it to do an Irish jig, and then in this one mission, hit it to flip a boat upside down while dual wielding pistols and playing the maracas.
I know there’s a lot to do, and only a limited amount of buttons, but it’s just so stupid. And worse, there’s been times when the context of a button has changed from a scene back to gameplay so the button that was set to give a lady a compliment on her summer dress becomes the button for shoot her at point blank range in the head with a shotgun (not that exact thing of course, but it’s quite annoying)

But this complaint is made up for by the most satisfying game mechanic in any game.
The ability to hurl yourself at doors and full on hip and shoulder your way into any building in an aggressive manner.
Every game should introduce going into buildings like this!
I instantly forget that I’m forced to walk at a speed that makes snails look like cheetahs when I’m IN the building or at camp.

Busting into a house to kill rival gang members? HIP AND SHOULDER THE DOOR!
Going for a bit of a beard trim? HIP AND SHOULDER THE DOOR!
Going to beat up a debtor? HIP AND SHOULDER THE DOOR!
Going to have a nice, relaxing, beautiful bath before I settle into sleep by a nice cozy fire..
better god damn believe I’ll be HIP AND SHOULDERING MY WAY IN THERE TOO!

If rockstar made a game called aggressively entering doorways simulator, I would buy it.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I finished it about a month ago. It's a great game but the story does drag on a bit too long, especially the epilogue.

And ramming through doors was fun, scaring the shit out of people in stores.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I've only finished it once, but I fucking love RDR2 story, despite the fact it can drag
Spoiler
I had to put my dog down the same week that I finished RDR2. Seeing your horse die in the story broke me :ocry: The whole good ending for RDR2 made me cry like a child :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yes, that's sad when that happened.

I only saw the good ending. Forgot there was a bad one as well.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I think there are technically 3. Good, bad, then bad if you go for the gold.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 am I think there are technically 3. Good, bad, then bad if you go for the gold.
3 endings? Fuck that noise. Unlike GTA 5 I won’t be playing them all.. I’ll get the ending I happen to get then watch the others on YouTube. :rofl:

I find the characters, world and story quite gripping. I’m now quite far into being very sick which was an unexpected development right after my tropical island vacation (which was so much fun in every regard, I was sad when I had to come back) but the game has started to piss me off the more I play it.

I can’t say they haven’t done a good job, because the game works and I’ve only come across a single glitch so far which for a game of this size and scope is nothing less than remarkable.

But the controls enrage me more with each passing day.
Just getting around the world and doing things in it is sucking the fun right out of it...
I have a sneaking suspicion that by the end of what I see is a long story, I will hate the game, never play it again, and declare it the worst DMA/rockstar game since GTA 2.

I’ve now conked over pretty much every animal you can, including a bird that was trying to fly away. And I’ve got a new horse that makes me want to shoot it in the head every minute, but I don’t because it was expensive.
This horse is fucking retarded.
It randomly smacks into trees and wanders off paths and cliffs, is scared of its own shadow, and always, ALWAYS wanders onto the fucking train tracks even if I park him 10 million miles away.
But despite the fact it’s the worst fucking nightmare you can imagine, I actually love the shenanigans he gets into.
I had left him in a field and ran off to stea. BORROW a train, I have a lovely train trip around the whole railway network, then he shows up a little bit up the track from where I started and runs full speed into the side of the train for no reason :olol: I swear they must have observed kangaroos when programming this horse, because it’s batshit all the time. When I’m dicking around, having an animal with a kangaroo level of batshit insanity is good, at all other times, it adds to the frustration I have with the game.
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:10 am
Skynet wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 am I think there are technically 3. Good, bad, then bad if you go for the gold.
3 endings? Fuck that noise. Unlike GTA 5 I won’t be playing them all.. I’ll get the ending I happen to get then watch the others on YouTube. :rofl:
For me, the good ending was the only ending, as it's how I played the game. To me Arthur was a good man, just in shitty situations. That's how I played the game, that got me the ending I wanted.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm
ian wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:10 am
For me, the good ending was the only ending, as it's how I played the game. To me Arthur was a good man, just in shitty situations. That's how I played the game, that got me the ending I wanted.
I see what you mean, and thanks for the spoiler tags on a 3 year old game (The way I see it, if I’m in a discussion thread, any spoilers are my own fault) but I’ve just hit Epilogue part 1... I didn’t know an Epilogue could be more than one part, but here we are.

As it turns out I got the good ending, for no planning for it or even knowing honour would affect it. I went Into the game completely blind (still only played like 5 minutes of redemption and revolver combined) but assumed I would get to pick my ending much like GTA 5.

As for the horse part, see my comments above about the horse. Fuck that guy.

The ending didn’t make me as emotional as: Kids, turn off the TV I have some bad news about Lenny.
NOT LENNY!!

Once I’ve done the Epilogue, I will most likely go and play redemption (I’ve had it on 360 for almost as long as it’s been out) even though I suspect it will seem like an old relic.
The thing about gta games is going back to older ones is hard because the newer one is always better (gta 2 and San Andreas excluded of course)
But since old west GTA 2 hasn’t really been that enjoyable as an actual gaming experience, maybe old west GTA 1 will have aged well.

I feel if rdr 2 was a trilogy of movies, or a couple of seasons of tv, it would be amazing. The lore is great.

Also I was quite angered by a couple of Musical fucking montages.
Musical montages are a crutch for shitty writing in drama TV shows.

I didn’t need a sad song playing while I tap x to ride back to camp...
I’ve seen people I love had their heads blown off like 2 hours of gameplay prior and I didn’t need sad music to know that was a bad thing. :olol:
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I feel the clunky controls are just Rockstars inability to make their engine better. I get extremely frustrated by both RDR2 and GTA5 still. The way the characters move isn't natural a lot of the time. That being said, the way you can jump and grab onto ledges and shit is way better than 5, as I feel they removed some player abilities from 4 when making 5. Remember how in GTA4 you could pick up shit off the ground? Can't do that in 5. You could grab ledges better too. All gone in 5. I think Rockstar just needs a complete engine overhaul, to be honest.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

There will be a new engine for GTA 6 (and RDR 3) in 2061.

I’m looking forward to it.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »