Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it's the "Rhythm of the Night" album by DeBarge. "Who's Johnny" would be on single, the Short Circuit soundtrack and El's first solo album. You've also got "Bounce, Skate & Roll" by Vaughn Mason & Crew and the Tom Browne LP is "Truly Yours". If it was "Love Approach" LP it would ha e "Funkin for Jamaica" on it. Discogs has over 931 wants for the Tom Browne album you have so depending on its condition you could sell it on there

https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Browne-Your ... ter/158933

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Thanks for the info @Big Boss Man I'll look into that.

So about the typewriter. I popped open the ram card cover and it has no expansion card installed. However when searching Ebay for listings of the typewriter I came across an auction for the Spell Checker cartridge brand new in the box for $9.

Of course I had to buy it! :olol: I imagine the add-on cards are pretty hard to come by. I figure when I sell it the inclusion of the spell checker card will add to the value. Plus I think it is just a cool thing to have for it. I don't know why I'm so enamored by this little typewriter but I love it! :orazz:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I've been going through a bunch of my stuff and taking pictures of it so I might as well post them here. So these items are goodwill finds, just not recent ones. I can't remember for sure but I want to say it was around 2012 when I really started accumulating a bunch of stuff. I'll just post 5 at a time here and there so there won't be one post with a ton of pics. Here are the first 5.

Really nice looking when it has the cassette door on it! I have the door though, I took it off because I was messing around using it as an MP3 player and the cable from the 3.5mm cassette was too thick to shut the door on.

Aiwa CA-DW635 AM/FM Cassette CD Boombox. It has a tray loading CD player which I think it kind of neat for a boombox. Not that common for a boombox to have a tray loading CD player.

Panasonic AM/FM 8-Track Boombox. The only 8-track boombox I've found over the years. The 8-track cartridge sticks into the side of the unit.

Sony TC-260 Reel to Reel player. I was really surprised to find this at a Goodwill. I've picked up a few reels since I've bought it and it works great and actually sounds really good. I uploaded a video of it in action back when I first got some reels to try it out. I'll include the video below the picture.

A Sony CFD-S01 AM/FM Cassette/CD boombox. Not all that old. I'm not sure of the exact year but I'd guess around 2005. I've got two of these. No need to include the picture of the second one since it is identical.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I didn’t even know there was an 8-track boombox in existence.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I used to have that same Aiwa. It was pretty good.

melancholy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:26 am I didn’t even know there was an 8-track boombox in existence.
Yep. My grandmother had one to rock out to her Willie Nelson and Conway Twitty 8 tracks. When we were cleaning out her house after she died I found out it still worked.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Here are the next five :ocool:

Nothing too exciting with this one, just a stand-alone turntable. I think this is one I bought for $5 and it ended up being part of a component system. Which means it is unusable without the other components. So, $5 well spent. :olol:

A Sony AM/FM Cassette/CD Boombox

A Pioneer VSX-818V Receiver

Look at all those inputs! It was $5 so why not add it to the other many receivers I have!

Just a random boombox. Looks like it was probably a cheap model when it was new.

Now this Magnavox boombox is AWESOME! It is my favorite one I own by far. I just love the look of it and it all works perfectly and sounds great.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

That turntable is pretty good for a fiver.

The Sony boombox is similar one I had in the 90s.

And the Magnavox boombox does look cool.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

The hell with the boomboxes, that receiver is glorious!!
I had one VERY close to that (If not the same one) and a nice Sony one, but got rid of both when they wouldn’t do 4K pass through.

Looking back, I’d probably keep them just for all the older, non computer related shit that still needs sound... Oh well.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Calavera wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:05 pm A Pioneer VSX-818V Receiver

Look at all those inputs! It was $5 so why not add it to the other many receivers I have!
Dude WTF? I nearly spent $80 on a vanilla stereo receiver for my game room, and here you are walking in with a 7.1 beast for $5.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:41 am
Dude WTF? I nearly spent $80 on a vanilla stereo receiver for my game room, and here you are walking in with a 7.1 beast for $5.
You should have asked me first! I have many receivers laying around. I was surprised they had it priced so cheap since it looked somewhat newer.

Onto the next 5 items for today.

A Fisher AM/FM Turntable. It also came with the original speakers and I do have the plastic cover for it. It just isn't in this picture. As you can see the fake wood covering is starting to come off the side but that can simply be glued back on. It works but it does need a new stylus.

Here is a pic of the radio dial lit up, it looks pretty cool!

Yet another random Sony Boombox (CFD-V10)

A pretty neat looking Panasonic Boombox. Another one that I have the tape door for but took it off when I was using it as an MP3 player.

An Audiovox VBP-2000 portable VCR with screen powered from a car's cigarette lighter.

It was cheap and I thought it was cool. I've actually used it in the car before just for shits and giggles. I hooked the audio out from the VCR to the car's stereo so it would play through the car's speakers.

A SoundDesign AM/FM Stereo Reciever/Triple Tape Player/Recorder with the additional turntable.

I actually have two of these. The other one is in better condition and it silver but doesn't have the turntable. Dual Cassette Decks and an 8-track player! As far as I know this was made in the late 80s which makes it probably one of the last system to include an 8-track player.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Another turntable

A smaller reel to reel player/recorder. Was $7

Yet another Sony Boombox. This one is in really nice condition and came with the remote. In addition to AM/FM and cassette it also has a 6 disc CD changer built-in.

Guess what? Another boombox! JVC this time. The model is PC-X110

And finally we have another boombox! A Fischer brand one with big ole' speakers.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

got any walkmans or discmans floating around?
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 am got any walkmans or discmans floating around?
Walkmans yes, discmans no. I had one really nice discman but sold it for like $30.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Found a good one today!

I used to have one of these when I was a kid. I can clearly remember them being at Wal-Mart in the toy section. They were either $20 or $40 new but I'm pretty sure it was $40. This one was only $5!

It looks like all the pieces are there. I didn't try assembling the whole track like on the box but as you can see in the picture above I did an oval with both loops to test it out. It works good but I think either the rails on the track need cleaned or the metal brushes on the bottom of the cars need cleaned up. It would go around just fine sometimes. Other times the car would stop in places but it seems anywhere I would sit the car and hold the back wheels up to make sure it was working it would work fine. This was with the red car. The blue and white car would spin anywhere I sat it. But it would only spin. I compared the two cars and somehow the tires on the blue and white car are smoother and aren't getting any traction. I have another set I'm going to try the cars from and see if those perform any better.

Overall I am happy with it for $5. Some childhood nostalgia for only $5! You are never too old to play with slot cars....right? Either way I'm gonna set the whole track up eventually and race the day away! :olol:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

If the cars are sticking in places, it’s likely because the metal track has tarnished over the years. The easiest way to clean it is getting some 300 or higher grit sandpaper and sand the metal, both on the track and on the shoes. If the cars have those metal mesh pads instead of proper metal shoes, then it gets trickier as the mesh pads sucks and is usually used on cheaper slot sets.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Calavera wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:31 pm Found a good one today!

I used to have one of these when I was a kid. I can clearly remember them being at Wal-Mart in the toy section. They were either $20 or $40 new but I'm pretty sure it was $40. This one was only $5!

It looks like all the pieces are there. I didn't try assembling the whole track like on the box but as you can see in the picture above I did an oval with both loops to test it out. It works good but I think either the rails on the track need cleaned or the metal brushes on the bottom of the cars need cleaned up. It would go around just fine sometimes. Other times the car would stop in places but it seems anywhere I would sit the car and hold the back wheels up to make sure it was working it would work fine. This was with the red car. The blue and white car would spin anywhere I sat it. But it would only spin. I compared the two cars and somehow the tires on the blue and white car are smoother and aren't getting any traction. I have another set I'm going to try the cars from and see if those perform any better.

Nice score!
The problem with old slot car sets is they ALWAYS need fixing up, or cleaning, or a service, or replacement parts. or all of that.

I don't know that brand at all (my areas of knowledge are in AFX, SCX and Scalextric)
Some shots of the cars from all angles would be great, and you're probably gonna wanna get new tyres and pick up braids all around, like with MOST used cars.

Calavera wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:31 pm You are never too old to play with slot cars....right?
Nope. Just this year I had a huge bash over Easter, and recently I've added a Scalextric Delorean Time Machine AND McLaren F1 LM to my collection.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Found an unexpected item yesterday. It has been quite awhile now since Goodwill stopped accepting CRTs, but for some reason that had a Sony Trinitron Wega KD-27FS170 for $14.99. After discounts it was only $8.84.

I didn't get a picture of the back input before I hooked it up but it has Coaxial,Composite,S-video and Component. The main thing I will have hooked to it is an original Xbox loaded up with CoinOPS. I've got it sitting in place but haven't plugged it in yet. I will after a bit and come back to comment on the picture quality.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

So the picture quality is excellent! However I am having a problem though not with the TV but with the Xbox. I can't get either one of them to save for 480i output. My main one won't even display 480i even once I disable it in the Xbox dashboard only 480p. The other one will display properly once 480p720p and 1080i are set to no in the Xbox dashboard but after powering down they are all set to yes in the xbox dashboard. Quite the annoyance. On my main one I'd like to redo the softmod as I think something is messed up or I may have messed it up from the start but it has been so long since I've messed with the mods I'll have to find a page that isn't outdated or taken off-line years ago!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Fine looking TV.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Big Boss Man wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:01 am Image

Yea it's the "Rhythm of the Night" album by DeBarge. "Who's Johnny" would be on single, the Short Circuit soundtrack and El's first solo album. You've also got "Bounce, Skate & Roll" by Vaughn Mason & Crew and the Tom Browne LP is "Truly Yours". If it was "Love Approach" LP it would ha e "Funkin for Jamaica" on it. Discogs has over 931 wants for the Tom Browne album you have so depending on its condition you could sell it on there

https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Browne-Your ... ter/158933
Never thought Tom Browne would be brought up here :) Charisma is one of my favorite songs