The Music Charts Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Music Charts Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This week on the Billboard charts in 1989...it's electrifying!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I never liked Debbie Gibson, but a few days ago at the grocery store when I was shopping they played "Shake Your Love", the first time I have heard it since I was a little kid in the late 80s, and it's a good pop song.

I also remember she said she liked Metallica a few years before they got really big with And Justice For All. In a Rolling Stone interview she said she thought Master Of Puppets was a good album.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:04 am This week on the Billboard charts in 1989...it's electrifying!

Oh no, they made a mistake. They've accidentally swapped the songs in position 3 and 25. How embarrassing for them.

I'll forgive it this time, but Australia better not let it happen again.

Also I remember Enyas Period flow song being big much later. like 1993-4. I had no idea it was so old.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Roy and the Wilburys were huge that year since everyone started listening to him more after he passed away. I remember You Got It and Handle With Care being played constantly. I was young and didn't realize Orbison had died. Tom Petty also had a huge year.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

1989 was pretty good for Petty. Which is why his contributions should have been higher on the charts..

Also, how did the Traveling Wilburys not reach number one on the Billboard chart? I'm pretty sure they went 1 every single other place in the entire world, even those remote tribes that have never even heard music other than birdsongs would have bought a copy of Volume 1...
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

ian wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:13 pm 1989 was pretty good for Petty. Which is why his contributions should have been higher on the charts..

Also, how did the Traveling Wilburys not reach number one on the Billboard chart? I'm pretty sure they went 1 every single other place in the entire world, even those remote tribes that have never even heard music other than birdsongs would have bought a copy of Volume 1...
It was out at the same time Bon Jovi's New Jersey was #1 a lot of weeks.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Singles-wise, the Traveling Wilbury's didn't even make the top 40 in the US.

Handle with Care got to 45 and End of the Line got to 63.

Orbison didn't have any real big hits in the US or the UK after 1965 until You Got It. He had a bunch of big songs in Australia up until 1970. Here are some of them.

Penny Arcade US #133 UK #27 Australia #1

Communication Breakdown US #60 UK - Australia #8

Lana US #60 UK #15 Australia #4

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:32 pm Singles-wise, the Traveling Wilbury's didn't even make the top 40 in the US.

Handle with Care got to 45 and End of the Line got to 63.

Orbison didn't have any real big hits in the US or the UK after 1965 until You Got It. He had a bunch of big songs in Australia up until 1970. Here are some of them.

Penny Arcade US #133 UK #27 Australia #1

Communication Breakdown US #60 UK - Australia #8

Lana US #60 UK #15 Australia #4
They weren't a singles band. Rock bands, especially older ones like them, don't really sell singles because rock fans rather buy albums, and B-sides aren't really a big deal on American singles. The rock bands that used to chart top 20 singles were the ones who crossed over to the pop fans, like that year Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses and REM.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Tom Petty was on every rock station in the midwest, him and John Mellencamp were pretty dominant. They both played on the Top 40 station, the "hard rock" station, and the AOR station.

That said, Bobby Brown's Don't Be Cruel is one half bangers. It drops off after Every Little Step, but man, that first half of the album is awesome.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Girl you know it's true, ooh ooh ooh-ooh, I love you!

Bandit wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:00 am They weren't a singles band. Rock bands, especially older ones like them, don't really sell singles because rock fans rather buy albums, and B-sides aren't really a big deal on American singles. The rock bands that used to chart top 20 singles were the ones who crossed over to the pop fans, like that year Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses and REM.
Their singles did alright in Australia. Handle With Care got to #3 & End Of The Line #12. Canada as well, #2 & #8.

Buy more singles, America!

In other music chart/sales news, vinyl outsold CDs in the US for the first time since 1987.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:02 amBuy more singles, America!
Singles always felt like the biggest scam, an especially heinous product from the already predatory music industry. :olol: "Hey kid, Madonna has a new song! You can buy this single CD with just that song with a remix version for $10! (Or spend an extra $7 and get the full album.*)"

*Caution, may contain filler!

My dad talks about the day vinyl disappeared around 1987-1990. One day, all the stores had a vinyl section and then a few days later—poof—all the inventory was gone.

Vinyl+digital files seems like the best of all worlds. I still have a CD player in the car, but CDs are only a vessel for digital files before they head to storage.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

CD singles were a massive ripoff in the 90s. By the 2000s they dropped the price down so they were a bit better value, but mp3s had taken over by then.

I'm looking forward to cassettes being the biggest selling physical media in 2027.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:15 am
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:02 amBuy more singles, America!
Singles always felt like the biggest scam, an especially heinous product from the already predatory music industry. :olol: "Hey kid, Madonna has a new song! You can buy this single CD with just that song with a remix version for $10! (Or spend an extra $7 and get the full album.*)"

*Caution, may contain filler!

My dad talks about the day vinyl disappeared around 1987-1990. One day, all the stores had a vinyl section and then a few days later—poof—all the inventory was gone.

Vinyl+digital files seems like the best of all worlds. I still have a CD player in the car, but CDs are only a vessel for digital files before they head to storage.
And the way singles were either $10 or they stopped putting them out so you had to buy the album was why nobody felt bad about Napster.

It was definitely more international market oriented. Like when I got into Brit Pop and found out those bands were putting B Sides out that were either as good or better than the album tracks I was surprised. Like the Oasis B Side album The Masterplan is probably their second best album. American bands were not doing that. Although Pearl Jam had a big hit with the B Side to Jeremy Yellow Ledbetter. But nobody can name a Alice In Chains or Foo Fighters B Side.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:57 am And the way singles were either $10 or they stopped putting them out so you had to buy the album was why nobody felt bad about Napster.

It was definitely more international market oriented. Like when I got into Brit Pop and found out those bands were putting B Sides out that were either as good or better than the album tracks I was surprised. Like the Oasis B Side album The Masterplan is probably their second best album. American bands were not doing that. Although Pearl Jam had a big hit with the B Side to Jeremy Yellow Ledbetter. But nobody can name a Alice In Chains or Foo Fighters B Side.
I found a list of Alice in Chains B-sides, and yes, I haven't heard them before. Good excuse to listen to them though!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

pixel wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:26 am
Bandit wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:57 am And the way singles were either $10 or they stopped putting them out so you had to buy the album was why nobody felt bad about Napster.

I found a list of Alice in Chains B-sides, and yes, I haven't heard them before. Good excuse to listen to them though!
Nirvana had some good B Sides, but most from International singles

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This week on the Billboard charts in 1974...JET!