The Video Card Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Video Card Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:32 pm
Can I get the gist of this video? I'm not watching it, but I assume they try to play games from 2 months ago on a decade old niche card and complain about how SLI sucks? That's what I get from the title :olol:

The 690 was like all dual GPU's. No matter how much you spend, it still becomes obsolete just as quick. And scaling on Multiple GPU's has always been odd. Having owned a GTX GTX295, 590, 3870X2, 4870X2, 6990, 7990 and R9 295X2 at various points over the years (not often new) I can say the good thing about SLI is you can simply turn it off if a game doesn't like it, and more frames are more frames on the 1 game out of 50 it does help!

A far more interesting thing to make a video about would be the 780TI which became redundant the second the 970, 980, and 980TI came out.
Never seen a card age worse than a 780TI, and the 200 series was absolute dogshit from the moment of release... even they aged better than the 780TI. :osmile: speaking of aging, the 7870 aged damn well so did the R9 290 when I think about it.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

He tries games from around the time of launch of the 680/690 and goes through the years to see when the cards start to fall off. The main point being when games stop adding SLI drivers which hurts the 690.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:58 am He tries games from around the time of launch of the 680/690 and goes through the years to see when the cards start to fall off. The main point being when games stop adding SLI drivers which hurts the 690.
I guess personally I feel SLI fell out of relevance with the GTX 900 series. I mean I'm currently using SLI'd 1070's :olol: but the RTX 2000's gave it a shot with NV link, but that's also when a single card started costing as much as 2 cards from the previous generations so I guess it was the final nail.
I play a lot of older games still, so having SLI still isn't a complete waste of time for me.

Back in the old days of 2015 you needed SLI or Crossfire and $1500-2000 of GPU to game at 4K at a competent level... Now you only need ONE card at $2000-3000 to do it!
PROGRESS!
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The new Cyberpunk Ray Tracing Overdrive update adds full path tracing to the game and is intended for modern, powerful RTX GPUs. It does however work on select GTX graphics cards, including the GTX 1660 Ti.

But just how bad is it?

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

It's funny how intel are the only ones with GPU's less than 4 trillion dollars.
Sure they absolutely reamed the entire market (consumer and enterprise) for 20 years, but they're the last hope for the desktop PC not to fade into obscurity.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

NVIDIA announces DLSS 3.5 with Ray Reconstruction, launches this fall

A new upscaling technology has emerged, which is essentially an enhancement to NVIDIA's existing DLSS3.

While there haven't been any updates regarding AMD FSR3, and XeSS going open-source, NVIDIA is determined to make headlines with the latest iteration of DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling). This AI-driven algorithm has undergone four significant releases to date: DLSS1 (March 2020), DLSS 2.3 (November 2021), DLSS 3 (October 2022), and DLSS 3.1 (January 2023). The most recent update appears to be focused on improving ray tracing.

DLSS 3.5 is focusing in on Ray (Tracing) Reconstruction (RR), delivering a visibly enhanced visual experience compared to traditional denoising techniques. NVIDIA claims that Ray Reconstruction has been trained on five times more data than DLSS3. It has been trained to incorporate additional game and software engine data, recognize various ray-traced effects, distinguish between good and bad temporal and spatial pixels, and preserve high-frequency data for upscaling.

The utilization of denoisers was found to strip away essential data required for upscaling, leading to a loss of color data during denoising and subsequent upscaling. Furthermore, traditional methods may result in inaccurate lighting effects due to the accumulation of pixels from previous frames, often resulting in ghosting.

Denoisers also contribute to subpar global illumination and lower-quality reflections, as there isn't enough data for interpolation. This will not be the case with Ray Reconstruction, which is the primary feature of DLSS 3.5 update.

NVIDIA has confirmed that DLSS 3.5 will make its debut in the fall, featuring in titles such as Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, Portal with RTX, and Alan Wake 2. Additionally, it will be available in the NVIDIA Omniverse Platform, Chaos Vantage, and D5 Renderer.

Source: Videocardz

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Nvidia cutting prices to better compete? The new AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT and 7700 XT show some impressive stuff from the new Navi 32 silicon... and the 7800 XT is competitively priced too. Rich has the lowdown on AMD's impressive specs and performance, but is it enough to counter Nvidia's cutting-edge new technologies?

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Those EVA RTX's are worth the price for this alone. :rofl2:
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

ian wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:26 pm

Those EVA RTX's are worth the price for this alone. :rofl2:
Oh lord… :rofl2:

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

someone lost control of their entry plug

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Join Rich for a look at two versions of the Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super Max Turbo Edition: Hyper Fighting. In the absence of a Founders Edition, we've got the MSI Ventus 3x rendition, along with Asus's TUF Gaming offering. The aesthetics aren't that great, but what about the 4070 Ti Super itself? The extra VRAM is great, but despite the specs this is more 4070 Ti than 4080 in performance terms.

In this video we take look at eta new AMD RX 7600XT Graphics card, More specifically the ASRock Steel Legend Radeon RX 7600 XT 16GB version. We do an unboxing, run some benchmarks and test some AAA PC games to see if the new RX 7600XT is worth buying.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:29 am
In this video we take look at eta new AMD RX 7600XT Graphics card, More specifically the ASRock Steel Legend Radeon RX 7600 XT 16GB version. We do an unboxing, run some benchmarks and test some AAA PC games to see if the new RX 7600XT is worth buying.
Jesus Christ, I thought the GPU was the size of the entire computer. I was boggled until I saw it was a mini ITX case. There was a minute or two where I thought, "When did GPU get so fucking massive? Am I that old and out of the loop? Have I been totally left behind?"

Regardless, that is a cool looking case.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:51 am Jesus Christ, I thought the GPU was the size of the entire computer.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:45 pm
pixel wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:51 am Jesus Christ, I thought the GPU was the size of the entire computer.
I member the first time I got a 3090 in my hands. Jesus Christ it was huge. I thought those old ASUS 7970's were massive. Seeing a 3090 next to one of those old directCUII 7970's was like seeing a Lego brick next to a duplo brick.

The only thing more fucking gargantuan than the physical size of modern Graphics card coolers, is the price.

Also, those are the best videos on YouTube Zoidberg!
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

If anyone hasn't seen the brilliance:

-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

:olol: