What is the largest capacity hard drive you own?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

What is the largest capacity hard drive you own?

Post by Calavera »

For me it is 4TB. In my PC I've got a 1TB M.2. Then I've got 4 regular HDDs. 3TB,2TB,4TB, and 3TB. So 12TB of HDD and 1TB of M.2.

I just added it all up and my actual capacity is 11.83GB. I could get a 12GB drive and double my storage for only $174!

I am thinking about getting an 8TB drive. They can be had nowadays for around $120-$130 which imo is a pretty good price for so much space.

It looks like the biggest HDD you can get now is a 20TB for around $430. Which really wouldn't worth it for a home system considering you can get a 12TB drive for $174. So $348 for 24TB which is just crazy!

I was just curious if anyone here had any monster drives that are 8TB+?

If not then what is your total storage capacity?

P.S When I was adding my total capacity up I also added my total free space up and realized that I actually have 4.17TB of free space. So do I really need an 8TB drive just to download things I'll never use? Maybe :olol:

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: What is the largest capacity hard drive you own?

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I've got some 5TB external drives.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I have a 5TB external but my NAS has a 10 and a 12 but I need another 12 for it.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I've got a few network shares, my old computer runs a Plex/BitTorrent server. I installed OpenWRT on my router, so I have an external drive hooked up via eSATA for my games . That way, I can access ROMs and ISOs across all my consoles, computers and handhelds via SMB or SSHFS.

Plex server: 4TB+12TB+12TB: 28TB
File server: 10TB

There are lots of factors when buying HDDs, because you can't always go by price. /r/datahoader and Disk Prices are great places for advice. There are two main philosophies for higher-capacity drives: Go cheap by shucking external drives or go expensive with enterprise-grade NAS drives.

Here's a hypothetical: An WD easystore 16TB external drive is $250 and a 14TB WD gold label drive is $300. Which one is the better value? The first drive $15.63/TB and the other is $21.43/TB, an easy choice based on price. But what if I'm buying it for a server where it will probably be spinning 24/7? The cheaper drive isn't rated for that kind of demand, while the more expensive drive is better built for longevity and it has a warranty in case it breaks prematurely.

If it's me, it all depends on what I'll use the drive for. I buy cheaper drives for the Plex server because I don't have anything that couldn't be downloaded again. But for personal files and things I can't easily replace, I try to use a higher-rated drive that should last for a while. That and making sure that I backup all of this to an off-site location, too.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We all need one of these:

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Short answer: 8TB.

I have:
2 8TB 3.5" HDD's.
2 5TB 3.5" HDD's.
2 4TB 3.5" HDD's.
1 256GB M.2 NVME SSD.
1 500GB M.2 NVME SSD.
2 1TB 2.5" SSD's.
and a 2TB 2.5" external HDD.

those are the drives in my main 2 desktops. The 5TB's will be replaced one of these days as a failure sounds imminent.
of course there is a lot more storage in various retro computers, but I no longer have any sort of networking gear or NAS. everything is local to those 2 computers and I have a Crossover ethernet between them when I need it. (The computers are mostly in different rooms, but occasionally come together for projects or fun)

I am in no immediate danger of running out of space, but a lot of my hardware is getting on these days and even if the 2 5TB's die tomorrow I'll still be able to make all my important stuff fit.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.