General Music News

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
ian
Null Dream Team

Re: General Music News

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 am

I came into the thread to post the youtube video and that’s it.
I literally could not form any words, for the first time in my life I was too speechless to even say I was speechless at my shock and sadness at the initial announcement.

I happened to be awake and saw Daft Punk posted a new video!
AWESOME, NEW DAFT PUNK SONG CALLED EPILOGUE, then it was just footage from Electroma (their mostly boring movie from 2006 for those who don't know) So I skipped to when the robot Representing Thomas Bangalter blows up. (Nw we just need an Epilogue part 2 of the robot representing Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo setting himself on fire and walking off into the night)
Then the hand pyramid and 1993 to 2021 showed up and I experienced a moment of sadness that I can place just below my Father, Grandmother and Dog’s deaths.

melancholy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:01 pm I read this somewhere else and the very first thing I thought about was how Ian would take the news.
Skynet wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:09 pm I'll admit one of the first things I also thought was "I wonder what ian will say" :olol:
Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 pm And all Ian said about it was something in morse code.
Have some words now then:

I’ll never forget the first time I heard Daft Punk.
It was 1997 and I was in the front seat of my Mothers Toyota Town Ace being driven home from my grandmothers house, my brothers were in the back seat.
It was shortly before 9 PM and we were about 2 minutes into our journey and I turned the Radio station from a station I cannot remember to Triple J. A song I cannot remember finished, and then started this track.
I was met with an opening of synth and bass that I decided I liked instantly, then it got better when the drums really kicked in. After a minute of this tune, which I had thought was an instrumental, I was hit with something so unexpected.
A computer voice started singing around the world on a loop.

For the next 6 minutes this track continued with me and my older brother equally impressed and amused at this quaint song. Despite the repetitive lyrics the music wasn’t boring. Unlike a pop song that musically is very basic and repetitive when you take the lyrics away, at the end of seven minutes we were half way home and it hadn’t been turned off by me or more importantly my brother in the back seat or my mum.
The next song came on, and I can’t remember it.
The next day at school I asked all my friends if they’d heard this song, No one had.

With no answers from anyone I knew, and no DJ telling me this track, it got pushed to the back of my head as other tracks came and went. This song was never forgotten but I thought it would be one of the things I’d never hear again...

Cut to 2001 and I’m now in high school and there are many good tracks around (And I could spend countless hours going through them all), But the REALLY hot shit is 2 bands. There’s a Band called the Gorillaz with a Song Called ‘Clint Eastwood’, and there’s a band called Daft Punk with a song called ‘One More Time’
Since the internet is now something I have access to (at school) I decide to learn more about these bands.
So I used a search engine I can’t remember (not google) and I looked up these bands.
When I saw One More Time was off an album, and Daft Punk had an older album I immediately “obtained” both from a friend I can’t remember on the cheapest of CD R’s you can imagine.
I listened to Discovery and loved it absolute pieces, I also loved learning that all the songs on the album have an animated video even though I won’t see them until 2003.
Then I put on this other CD, their old album.
As I listen to the first track, ‘DAFTENDIREKT’ I can’t help but think there is some sort of mistake.
This album CAN’T be from Daft Punk. It sounds NOTHING LIKE Discovery.
I get to track 2 which turns out to be called ‘WDPK 83.7 FM’ and hear: “WDPK 83.7 the sound of tomorrow The music of today brings you exclusively Daft Punk's Homework” OK, so this is Daft punk, this must be a radio rip.
As I keep listening to this album, I fall in love with all the tracks to varying degrees, and especially fall in love with track 4 ‘Da Funk’ At this point in time, I don’t know any of the track names, I was lucky enough that my friend labelled the discs homework and discovery.

I get to track 7. I instantly know this bass and synth. It is around the world.
This is that song I heard in the car when I was a kid.
I’VE FOUND IT AGAIN after all these years!
From This exact point, Daft Punk were ALWAYS my favourite band.

And every time they did a new album, it sounded completely different.
I was the only single person in the entire world to love 2005’s Human After all, and everyone on earth was writing them off. Little did they know at Coachella in 2006, and then especially the alive 2007 tour they’d all be dickslapped with the single greatest live electronic performances of our generation, possibly of all time (Yes Even Kraftwerks Live shows don’t compare to alive 2007, and Kraftwerk live shows are fucking amazing), and I’ve seen a LOT of electronic shows.
And then in 2013, the rest of the world could finally see what Daft Punk fans knew since the 90’s.

Why I resonate with Daft Punk so well is that they were the first time I’d found music free from anyone else’s influence. Like when you’re growing up, you get your music tastes from siblings, parents, grandparents, friends, DJ’s and music video hosts (and for kids growing up now algorithms, and viral videos). And I don’t give a shit what anyone else says, good or bad in general, but I liked it from the first time I heard their music and I still liked until I saw this announcement confirmed.
If not for a random flick at a random time, I might not feel the same way about them.

I’m absolutely devastated because of the feeling Daft Punk brought into my life.
Whenever I heard about a new album, Or new video, or Alive 2007, or being in a game or movie, That is a spark I am likely to never feel again.

Sure others come close, My musical tastes are larger than I ever really let on, But nothing else makes me feel the same spark.

I Still remember the LAST time I ever listened to Daft Punk, it was Saturday night, I was with my best friend and little brother.
We were playing random music videos, and I insisted on Da Funk, by the end of the track my speakers were making that burning speaker smell, if you don’t know the smell, it’s indicating that you’re thrashing the fuck out of them, and if you keep this up your speakers won’t be around for much longer.

I have not listened to any since, and trying to makes me sad.
I’ll also have to take down my framed ticket stub and photo’s from Alive 2007.
Pictures don’t tend to give me warm fuzzies, I’d prefer the memory in my head without the need for a constant reminder of what I’ve lost.
They’ll be put into a box, and stored out of sight, and maybe one day when I’ve lost my mind it will all make me smile.
OrangeRibbon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:43 pm ian you okay?
No. But to be fair, I was fairly stressed out before I saw this. The timing is just horrible. :olol: one week later and I would have been better equipped to deal with this loss.
It's only entertainment after all. But the saddest part is that Daft Punk Was 2 childhood friends who liked making music together well into their 40's. If they've just lost interest in being friends, it's even worse, but if they're just calling it a day because they're getting too old for clubs and are still friends, well that's a nice takeaway.
I suspect we won't ever know, but you can think they're on a beach somewhere from time to time grumbling about how much deadrat and skillets suck fucking ass.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't know if it would necessarily be because they aren't friends anymore. Being able to say your band went out on top with a bunch of Grammy Awards and your last single hitting #1 is something almost nobody can say except The Beatles (not comparing the two.) So maybe they just thought it would be cool to go out at their most successful leaving people wanting more instead of saying "Those guys are still around?"

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Thank you for writing that, Ian :)

I discovered Daft Punk by random when I saw One More Time from Interstella 5555 on TV. It wasn't like anything else I'd seen before, and had the same problem: I had no idea what it was and didn't know how to see more. I miss that feeling, catching something special without context and being left with this new mysterious music.

Then I think that Random Access Memories was the last time I've been excited about a new album. The hype was intense when the promo video came out.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I saw an article saying they're both worth $70 million each. So good for them.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

pixel wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:14 am Thank you for writing that, Ian :)

I discovered Daft Punk by random when I saw One More Time from Interstella 5555 on TV. It wasn't like anything else I'd seen before, and had the same problem: I had no idea what it was and didn't know how to see more. I miss that feeling, catching something special without context and being left with this new mysterious music.

Then I think that Random Access Memories was the last time I've been excited about a new album. The hype was intense when the promo video came out.

Bandit wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:30 am I don't know if it would necessarily be because they aren't friends anymore. Being able to say your band went out on top with a bunch of Grammy Awards and your last single hitting #1 is something almost nobody can say except The Beatles (not comparing the two.) So maybe they just thought it would be cool to go out at their most successful leaving people wanting more instead of saying "Those guys are still around?"
Bandit: Well, neither member has come out and said they are bigger than Yeezy!!!! :olol:
But, the only things that excite me like a new Daft Punk album... Not much.

I'll be OK if they never work together again... To top the feeling I got from a new Daft Punk album... WELL... It's going to take a FUCKING LOT!! And no one can ever take that from me!I A LONNNNNG time ago
Pixel, I'll send you a PM
-Two Interactive.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't know why this popped up in my recommended videos, but it is a time capsule.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:27 pm
If the weak-nd wants to be taken seriously, he should work with Daft Pu.... oh. :frown:

edit: or have to work with the world's current greatest electronic band: Yello. I say that really begrudgingly, too. Not that Yello haven't often been awesome. But now they are the best in the entire world and it would take Chromeo 2 more great albums and one great live show, or 4 awesome Chemical Brothers albums in a row or Florian Schneider coming back to life and rejoining Kraftwerk to displace Yello from the Crown.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:15 pm If the weak-nd wants to be taken seriously, he should work with Daft Pu.... oh.
He's a muthafukkin' Starbug.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Dre seems to be doing well. I think in his closet he has 100 pairs of the same shirt. Actually he pointed out he always wears the same shirt in the Let Me Ride video back when he had the black button up shirt almost every time you saw him

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

DMX has a final album and apparently he did a song for it with Bono. I never saw a DMX and U2 collaboration coming.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »