The Skateboarding Game Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: The Skateboarding Game Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Skate 3 Mobile May Be Happening, Pro ‘Boarder Jason Dill Told EA to Make Skate 4 Instead

After being starved for new content for years, it seems fans of skateboarding games may have something to look forward to in 2020. There are rumors the first two Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater games may be getting remastered, and now it seems something might be happening with EA’s much-loved Skate series.

On the most recent episode of The Nine Club podcast, former pro skateboard and entrepreneur Jason Dill let slip that EA had contacted him about appearing in a new Skate game.
I got a call from the EA people about 10 months ago, and they said, "Hey, we want to talk about the Skate game." I said, that's fine.

[They] said, basically, "We want to do a mobile version of Skate 3." I wrote back, and I said, "What else?" She wrote back, "No, that's it."
Hoo boy. The Skate series has a pretty rabid fanbase and, needless to say, a mobile version of Skate 3 is not the thing they’ve begging for. Not that a mobile take on Skate would necessarily be a bad thing, but you would hope it would launch alongside a more ambitious console title. But hey, at least Dill went to bat for the fans, telling EA they should make Skate 4 instead…
I wrote back, "Hey, no big deal, but nobody wants your stupid mobile version of Skate 3. Make Skate f--king 4 already, cuz just, like, do it. Just make the game and participate again. You can't level it up to the same numbers you get on other games, you do it for a cultural thing that pays you back later.
EA Play 2020 will take place in June, with the publisher promising new game announcements. Will a new Skate game be one of them? I have my doubts, but who knows? Maybe skateboarding games are about to have a moment. Here’s hoping.

What was your favorite skateboarding game back in the day? Would you at least try out a mobile Skate game, or is it Skate 4 or nothing for you?

Source: WCCFTech

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Polygon wrote:Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 remaster coming this September
The first two THPS games are coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One

The first two Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater games are coming to modern platforms with a remaster called Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2, publisher Activision announced Tuesday. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 will be released on PlayStation 4, Windows PC, and Xbox One on Sept. 4.

Vicarious Visions, which remastered the first three Crash Bandicoot games for 2017’s Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy, is developing the new Tony Hawk collection.

The remastered collection will include the original levels, pro skaters, and tricks from Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2, as well as tricks from later games, like the revert, lip tricks, and wall plant.

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 will also feature “a large majority of the original soundtrack,” Vicarious Visions said; “only a small handful of songs” didn’t make it in. The remaster’s reveal trailer confirms at least one song — Dead Kennedys “Police Truck” — and returning artists Goldfinger, Powerman 5000, Bad Religion, Millencolin, Naughty By Nature, Papa Roach, Primus, Lagwagon, and Rage Against the Machine.

Local split-screen and online multiplayer modes are also in, as are the games’ Create-A-Park and Create-A-Skater modes. The Create-A-Park mode will offer a more robust editor, the developer says, and players will be able to share their parks online with friends.

“Create-A-Park has really evolved from what it was,” Vicarious Visions studio head Jen Oneal told Polygon in an interview. “You are going to have access to a full suite of a skate park pieces: your ramps, your rails, your halfpipe, etcetera. But what makes it so different now and now you actually get to deform the pieces, and you can make any kind of crazy amusement park-like skate park that you want because you’re able to manipulate the rails to make crazy spirals if you want.”

Oneal added that players will be able to share their custom parks with friends who can in turn remix those levels.

I asked Oneal the question that’s probably on everyone’s mind: Didn’t Activision already try to remaster those classic Pro Skater games with 2012’s Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD?

“I think our goals are different than that particular game,” Oneal said. “We really focused on faithfully remastering the first two games. So when we started development of this project, we didn’t look at [Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD], we looked at the first two games. We also listened to what the fans were asking for; it’s clear that they want a faithful remaster. They wanted something where we included all the original levels, that’s something that we made sure of. Anything that we thought that they would expect out of this [...] we made sure that it’s there. So every single level, including the secret levels are there. We brought back all the original skaters.”

The roster of playable skaters includes Tony Hawk, Bucky Lasek, Steve Caballero, Geoff Rowley, Andrew Reynolds, Elissa Steamer, Chad Muska, Eric Koston, Rodney Mullen, Rune Glifberg, Kareem Campbell, Jamie Thomas, and Bob Burnquist.

“The other thing that we’re hearing is people love the memory of being able to do that endless combo line,” Oneal said. “And so we went a little bit beyond in not just including the tricks that were in Pro Skater 1 and 2, but the additional ones that would allow you to chain together your tricks. So really, it was all about listening to the fans more than anything.”

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 certainly reaches a higher level of graphical fidelity than Pro Skater HD, which was released on PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in 2012. The new remaster will support HDR lighting and 4K resolutions on PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, as well as capable PCs. The new remaster will also come with revamped menus and other modern quality-of-life features, as well as necessary features like lightning-quick reloads of levels when a run doesn’t go as planned.

Also paramount to the THPS experience: that Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 unequivocally feels like the original games, Oneal said.

“We actually have former Neversoft employees [at Vicarious Visions], many of us have worked on the franchise in the past, and we remember and we know what it feels like,” Oneal said. “We dug into Neversoft’s codebase we were able to pull the handling code out of there, bring it into the engine that we’re in now and update it to make sure that we are making that feel exactly the way you remember it but updated with modern animation. It just looks incredibly smooth and the fidelity is fantastic.”

Nailing that feel also requires adapting the first two games’ controls for modern game pads, Oneal said.

“We had to spend a good amount of time to make sure that the game feels great whether you want to use the d-pad or the [analog] stick,” she explained. “I think some of the people who are the hardcore, old-school players, you’ll see their thumbs wandering to the d-pad. That’s what their muscle memory draws them to. And then of course, the newer players don’t know how to play any other way. So for us, we had to make sure that the handling felt good no matter how you play the game.”

In terms of what’s new for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2, expect a better tutorial experience for new or lapsed players, and just more things to do in every level.

“Now, people expect a certain amount of onboarding, so we did add tutorials to help people who are new to the game or maybe they’ve forgotten how to play it to get back into the swing of things,” Oneal said. “I think the other thing that people will appreciate is beyond the initial classic goals that you’re familiar with — your collect S-K-A-T-E letters, the combo letters, videotapes, etcetera — we’ve added a whole lot more to do and accomplish through each of the levels.”

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 is priced at $39.99, and a digital deluxe version with “unique content and in-game gear” costs $49.99. A collector’s edition will also be available for $99.99, and includes the game’s digital deluxe content and a limited-run Birdhouse deck. Those who pre-order a digital copy of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 will receive access to a playable demo, featuring the original game’s warehouse level, ahead of the game’s launch in September.

Vicarious Visions has “a bit of post launch support” planned for Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2, but Oneal couldn’t provide specifics on what the studio has in the works. “I’m just super excited to get the game out there and have people play it [...] and see what the response is,” she said.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I preordered the Collectors Edition. Gonna hang that deck on my wall.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Yeah, that's a helluva collector's edition. Awesome stuff!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It looks awesome. I can't wait!

I also preordered the Collectors Edition, for the Xbox.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:45 pm It looks awesome. I can't wait!

I also preordered the Collectors Edition, for the Xbox.
I don’t think I could play a Tony Hawk game without a PlayStation controller. My muscle memory is tied to that classic PSX controller so much that when I put my THPS3 disc in my PS3 to play a few levels last night, the analog trigger was messing up my ability to revert.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I played a bunch of the Xbox & 360 versions, so I'm used to both the PS & X setups.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Here’s the full list, as per Spotify:

Police Truck – Dead Kennedys
Superman – Goldfinger
Jerry Was a Race Car Driver – Primus