All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Revolution 2/29/20) AEDub!

Post by Big Boss Man »

Shawn Spears on TK's stunner

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

New BTE~!

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Oh no, they're going to do The Zodiac/Booty Man angle. :olol:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Spoiler
They go quite indepth discussing their departure from ROH & New Japan. They have it written in their AEW contracts they can potentially do both. But from the tone of how they were talking it does seem a lot of bridge building is needed if there is to be a partnership/working agreement with both ROH &NJPW.

Especially with Kenny and New Japan, who talked about how they negatively presented him in the media leading up to his match with Tana and that he took it personally with how he was treated when he left.

Also shame Nak doesn't get a word in, would have been interesting to have him talk about his own career, how he met Kenny and what brought about him coming in to AEW.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't think they have any reason to work with ROH if Marty leaves. They really don't have any stars anymore. I mean, yeah they could do Bucks vs Briscoes or something, but I don't think that would really draw any money. If you ever wanted to see that match ROH had a bunch of them. And nobody really cares if Jericho wrestled PCO or their champion at the time. ROH is worse off than Impact, honestly. Not that they'd draw money either, but an AEW vs Impact feud would have much more interesting matches. But that will never happen. A New Japan partnership is the most realistic but that's a long way away if it ever happened.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Maybe they want to work with ROH to help boost them up again. But it does make more sense for them to work with Impact, NWA is another too and they have the Nick Aldis/Cody thing they can build around. I have a feeling they might do this
Spoiler
Marty wins the NWA world title, he turns up on AEW Dynamite and says he wants to defend the belt and Cody comes out. Then Cody goes over and becomes NWA world champ which gets around the he can't challenge for the AEW world belt stipulation
With New Japan, the way Kenny was speaking it does make you think that it will be a long shot for them to partner up. He was making reference to being replaced and the person having his same gimmick. Which, although he didn't say his name, was about Switchblade. But for Kenny & Matt and Nick to have the NJ clause in their contracts it makes you think if they were totally done there then it wouldn't be included.

So it's more case of when instead of if. I won't be surprised if they did this
Spoiler
Kota beats Kazuchika Okada then at the end of the match Kenny comes out with Matt & Nick and The Golden Elite reunite.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dave on how he'd improve AEW
In trying to peak for quarterly PPVs, AEW doesn’t have enough of an immediate destination. When WWF or WCW were doing quarterly PPVs, the major markets were getting monthly house shows promoted off television locally. AEW showed on 12/18 that a well built destination Takeover level show which doesn’t diminish Takeover itself because that’s months away, can garner a lot of swing viewers, even younger ones who previously had little interest in NXT.

The point is, there was always a destination within a month, and then a new destination after that. A three or four weeks of build and a big show cycle feels like the right pace. That was one of the missing ingredients in Lucha Underground, which had state-of-the-art action, and perhaps the sci-fi element turned off more than it turned on (over time something turned people off that show). But AEW has it going so much slower with big shows every three months.

To alleviate that, AEW should build a destination television event every month and use the weeks in between to build that event, giving that show a major name and trying to run in a major market that week. There can be smaller television angles, like the Chris Jericho/Jungle Boy thing where part one was made for television and perhaps the rematch could be on a weekly show, but perhaps a third meeting should be a full month build for a destination show where you have the top guys in title bouts, but not the major PPV matches that will be teased for a few months and then hit hard.

Another thing they need to do is have most of their stars present on Dynamite every week. On 12/18, the notable missing people were MJF and Jon Moxley. MJF should have been there needling Cody. Moxley in this case should not have been there given the story peaking for 1/1 pretty much demands he not be there. But that’s a rarity.

They need to go with the main guys and book them as main guys. They don’t need to wrestle on TV every week. In fact, guys like Moxley, Jericho, MJF, Cody and Kenny Omega should be talking more and wrestling less, building their matches, on either a PPV show or a destination show. When they wrestle on television, it should be considered something special and always be promoted on the prior week’s show with interviews or angles. I wouldn’t say the same for the tag team division. AEW’s tag team division is the best in the industry, but to take it to where it needs to go, the championship should only be on a team that can be argued and pushed viably as the best tag team in the world.

The issue with Omega this past week was not the loss in the tag match, because that furthered a long-term story, but the backstage beatdown and end of show beatdown left him looking like a secondary star. The interviews should be short, but direct, some developing of personality and most talking the next destination match.

Matches with the women as a general rule should be shorter on television. There are exceptions and there should be no hard and fast rules on anything, whether it be match lengths or matchmaking or match order. They have done short matches with Nyla Rose and Awesome Kong. They can go longer on PPV and if there is a title match on television or a match deserving of more time. The top tier workers are timed just about right.

The rankings at this point are a weird non-issue. So much is talked about on it, but then during the matches, using the rankings to tell stories and build title matches doesn’t really exist. If they did away with them, it wouldn’t make a difference in ratings. But, if used to enhance stories, they can be a positive. Instead, they are there, but it feels like they are there just because they are, not because it adds a dimension.

The challenge across the board is to make new stars. Creation of importance in wins and losses enable people accepting new stars with as little as one win at the right time. But it’s also about promo time and constant exposure in a positive manner. If guys are only on TV every few weeks, they can be a star if they’ve got what Ric Flair had, but since we don’t have many Ric Flair’s that isn’t going to work. Plus, the top guys are also needed to boost ratings and create a higher quality feel to the show.
I agree with majority of what he's saying but right now they need Kenny, Cody, Mox, Young Bucks, Jericho etc wrestling every week or so since they don't have established stars the level which JCP or WWF had for example so Hogan or Naitch didn't have to wrestle every week. Plus the name vs enhancement talent/job guy formula was in full affect so they could keep the big names for PPVs or COTC/SNME. I do think Kenny Omega should be a special attraction and said so quite a few times.

Next year I'm assuming they'll switch the title to Kenny and/or Mox. Perhaps Cody if they reverse the stipulation. I don't think they should follow a monthly PPV model or do a AEW network since they are selling PPVs and without house show business and only one weekly live event financially it's not viable. Maybe once they are established they can run house shows so the younger wrestlers can get more experience and they can see who's getting over so they can use that information in regards to who to push as the next stars coming through.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I think they also need to stop BTE and whatever other Internet stuff they do and have 100% of their focus going into Dynamite. There's been some good stuff on BTE, Dark and their social media that needed to be on TV and stuff on TV that shouldn't have been.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

At one point I think Nick said they were considering the future of BTE. But they can go back to just making it a travel vlog again, or show some backstage clips and they've still got that presence on YouTube. I do think they need to refer to BTE & Dark more on Dynamite so fans are up to speed with what's going on.

BTE can be a way to get people over too, look what it did for Marty, Hangman, MJF & Cody (although most WWE fans were already familiar with him). Also the Hangman/Joey Ryan story, Bullet Club is Fine, announcing AEW on January 1st last year, the contract stuff when they were teasing potentially going to WWE to name a few things, all that happened on BTE. Without that platform I don't think they'd have got the same fan support if it was just tweets or short instagram videos.

If they are too busy to do normal BTE, maybe focusing more on the Inner Circle, Dark Order, Jurassic Express etc it would get the audience more familiar with who they are too. It's also another creative outlet for the guys for stuff that they can't fit in on Dynamite.

So in some ways when you think about the impact it has had, BTE should be kept around. Even if it's just a vlog showing the guys travelling to each venue and some backstage clips.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, but they did BTE because they didn't have TV besides NJPW and ROH which weren't as wide reaching as Dynamite. Now that they have it it needs to be their top priority. It's fine if they want to make it their behind the scenes show or do a few inside joke things they can't put on TV. But they should not be shooting angles on it.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

The issue they have though is the TV time is limited compared to WWE. When there was a more storyline/angle focused show with Chris Jericho's celebration etc the ratings fell. I've noticed Excalibur make references to BTE on commentary, but they need to push it more, especially if it's where they are doing angles.

Unless they get an additional hour, even half hour for Dynamite they do still BTE to put content out. As they can only do so much in the hour and forty plus minutes they have. WWE has something like 5hr (plus even more if you count NXT) each week so they can afford to put angles on TV.

Traditionally with the old format WCW/WWF had they could incorporate angles too as matches were usually short. But the Monday Night Wars changed everything, where fans now expect to see star v star in mostly every match. NWA Powerrr are trying to go back to the old formula but in that context it works since its nostalgia driven and harks back to 1985.

Most AEW fans are conversant with what goes down on BTE & Dark, so unless there's a boom and casual/lapsed fans start tuning in, then yes I'd do more angles on TV. But right now it's not a necessity. I do get the point though as say we use MJFs turn as an example, if you don't know the back story you'd be like ??? since you wouldn't know he was Codys protégée etc. But by watching BTE and how he acted around everyone when Codys back was turned so to speak it made everything make sense.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Angles and non-wrestling segments are what draw casuals though. Like IIRC Jericho promos are their highest rated segment every week. I'm not saying turn he show into BTE. But things like Hangman melting down need to be on Tv. They have good angles with MJF and Cody, Jericho and Moxley, but they need to be clearer about some other things. And some of those Sammy Guevara internet things need to be on because he is entertaining. I'd make he show 50-50.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Damn I love the chemistry Cody and Darby have in the ring. I hope they wrestle 100 more times.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I think they need to have Riho look stronger. She looked surprised she won.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Wardlow has the perfect face for this role. He looks like such a big oaf.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

New BTE~!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »