All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Fight for the fallen 13-7-19) AEDub!

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea, with the match you could easily build heat during the match. Make it like Cody has taken the Bucks jibe personally and him and Dustin are out for revenge. It makes the Bucks come across more so as heels with what they are doing on BTE so in theory you could turn them.

I was thinking you could turn Cody and Dustin but logic suggests you keep them faces since their moment is being mocked. It might come across as cheesy though if you have feuding EVPs, but if they did it right and I'm not a fan of worked shoots but Cody could say he wants AEW to be serious and he's tired of the comedy etc and Kennys caught in the middle with Hangman.

Then you can get MJF involved winding Cody up to get revenge on the Bucks & Kenny and you've got like a Elite v Nightmare Family feud brewing. Something like that would be really good if they booked it creatively enough.

With Brandi, they don't want to veer into her being Stephanie and Cody as Hunter. If they're all up in the start of the weekly shows then the critics will have a field day. This match is more a continuation of her and Allies time in Impact, so it'll be a one and done I think. I also don't think Brandi will be too involved in the women's division in terms of challenging for the belt.

In fact they should have her wrestle or be involved to serve a purpose in terms of storyline advancement. Say Kong comes out and beats down Allie and Kylie makes the save, you have a ready written tag match.

Because of their roles they don't want to be seen as taking over so it's difficult really how to place them on the cards or TV shows. It's good they are keeping comedy to BTE as it doesn't really translate well in the pro wrestling realm. But that is what made the fans get behind them so it's a balancing act I think so maybe if they keep it to the very minimum and it's Kenny and the Bucks doing it occasionally then that would be OK.

They're much more in tune with pop culture so they can easily tap into that and find ways to add that into their programming but learn from WWEs mistakes. They seem to crowbar it into their product and it comes across as out of touch & bizarre.

AEW have that "cool factor" too and younger talent who can put that across like MJF, Joey, Hangman, Private Party and Jungle Boy to name a few. I said this before but promo videos to build up the talent on their YouTube would do a lot of put some of the more unknown talent over.

Because going into TV it's only arguably Jericho and Mox who the fans will know. Which is why WCW and Impact relied so heavily on ex WWF/WWE talent, for their name value. WWE gets knocked and rightly so in a lot of cases, but they had built stars and Hogan, Macho, Austin, Rock to name a few got mainstream recognition.

So before October AEW should build up the profiles of as many as their talent as possible outside the wrestling bubble. Something like having MJF on a talk show with millions of viewers would be huge. He could come across as a legit star then and non fans would tune in to check out what he's all about. TNT should open a lot of doors for them since they know WWE will be on alert once October starts.

I highly doubt he'd go there but if AEW could get John Cena he would be even bigger to them than Punk. Yea he's an ex WWE guy but the buzz alone would have fans tuning into the show to see what he's going to say and do then you could build up to a Omega/Cena dream match that's been years in the making.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Three months after Joey Janela and Enzo Amore got into a Twitter spat, Enzo apparently tried to settle their differences... at a concert.

Enzo took to Twitter tonight to reveal that he had a confrontation with Janela at tonight's Blink-182 concert at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ. According to Janela, he introduced himself to Enzo which led to "the s--ttiest fist fight of the year."

After the introduction, Enzo claims to have slapped Janela's hands down once he realized who he was and put his hands up to fight. Enzo claimed that Janela then walked away.

"I'm glad you introduced yourself cause I couldn't pick you out of a line up," Enzo wrote on Twitter. "You don't want no smoke. And now I know it, there's only two things that smell like fish. Ones fish. @JANELABABY straight p---y... Don't try & play that wrestling s--t with me. You'll end up on f--king world star. Where was that energy at? We aint friends @JANELABABY Dont introduce urself to me f--kboy I thought u were a fan hahaha the second I realized it was u I slapped ya b---hass hands down & walked @ u w/ MY HANDS UP YA f--kIN RAN BACKWARDS & told my homey to film it soft af"

Janela acknowledged the exchange, tweeting, "Not a work, So i saw the dude and walked up and said 'Hi I'm Joey Janela' at the blink 182 show and we proceeded to have (I'm not lennox lewis) to have the s--ttiest fist fight of the year, I'm not a p---y but we had fun!

"I will have no chance to wrestle or 'fight' Enzo With my exclusivity starting in October but I saw it to introduce myself! That's all!"

Enzo noted that he had a friend filming the scuffle, which Janela acknowledged.

This past April, Janela tweeted that Enzo was making a joke out of the wrestling business and challenged him to a shoot fight at the next Bloodsport event. Janela stated that he would train with Barnett so that he doesn't "make a fool out of his art." Enzo replied, "I'll pay for ur classes bro."

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:14 am
So before October AEW should build up the profiles of as many as their talent as possible outside the wrestling bubble. Something like having MJF on a talk show with millions of viewers would be huge. He could come across as a legit star then and non fans would tune in to check out what he's all about. TNT should open a lot of doors for them since they know WWE will be on alert once October starts.
It would be nearly impossible for AEW guys to be on a talk show besides Jericho. Talk shows really don't even want WWE wrestlers besides NBC shows because they own USA Network. Cena and Rousey are the only two I can remember on major shows on CBS and ABC. Maybe The Miz but he was promoting the reality show.

Talk show hosts wouldn't know what to say to them. None are actual fans of wrestling like Regis Philbin was. Regis always made wrestlers look good because he was a lifelong fan so respected them and if they wanted to be their character he'd go along with it. I can't see Jimmy Kimmel playing along with MJF's gimmick to make him look good. Maybe if MJF was a national star, but he's going to shit on some unknown guy being his wrestling character on a talk show.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It would be nearly impossible for AEW guys to be on a talk show besides Jericho. Talk shows really don't even want WWE wrestlers besides NBC shows because they own USA Network. Cena and Rousey are the only two I can remember on major shows on CBS and ABC. Maybe The Miz but he was promoting the reality show.

Talk show hosts wouldn't know what to say to them. None are actual fans of wrestling like Regis Philbin was. Regis always made wrestlers look good because he was a lifelong fan so respected them and if they wanted to be their character he'd go along with it. I can't see Jimmy Kimmel playing along with MJF's gimmick to make him look good. Maybe if MJF was a national star, but he's going to shit on some unknown guy being his wrestling character on a talk show.
The talk show hosts have researchers so they'd be clued up on who they are and be able to question them accordingly. AEW also have unique talent who have their own stories to tell. Jungle Boy is of course Luke Perry's son so that could open up doors for AEW in terms of mainstream visibility.

As they have to look beyond the wrestling fanbase to really grow AEW. When you think about it, the fans who will watch each week is already set in stone. So they need to reach the lapsed fans and have to explore other avenues to reach them. YouTube, social media etc is really good but I wouldn't downplay or discount the power of a TV appearance. Not just on sports centric programming either, ideally they want as mainstream as possible because of the potential new audience.

WWE has talent who'd actually come across well on talkshows if they showed their real personalities. But they still kayfabe to a degree so it makes WWE come across as corny. AEW could appeal to the 18-34 demographic but putting say Chris on talkshows might be counter productive since it's not the image they want to portray. But a MJF or a Jungle Boy or Kenny they come across as more so who the younger audience would like and relate to.

As just going on TNT with their finger crossed that old fans will stumble across the product is a big gamble. Putting promotional support behind the show gives them much more of a chance to succeed. Plus they need to make AEW the cool alternative and must see TV which appeals not just to wrestling fans but outside that realm too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I know they have researchers. But Colbert and Kimmel just don't care about wrestling. Jericho might be able to get on, but I can't imagine Stephen Colbert having Kenny Omega on until he becomes a huge star. The Omega story would be boring to them. It's a guy who left some Japanese company they've never heard of, who got famous from getting good reviews in a pro wrestling newsletter they've never heard of, to start a new wrestling company because internet fans don't like WWE anymore. To us that's great, to the average person they won't care at all because they can't get the context of AEW from a 6 minute interview with some Canadian guy they don't know. They need AEW TV to show first.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I get your point, but my point is you need to get talent on mainstream TV to "sell" AEW to the non-fans. The likelihood of channel surfing and coming across AEW is slim to none unfortunately considering how people's attention spans are in so many different directions now with the internet, cell phones, Netflix/Prime etc, video games etc.

It was an old buzzword back in the day but AEW needs to be a multimedia company so they have visibility in as many areas as possible. Also Jimmy Kimmel had Zack Morris and the SBTB crew of his show so a guy like MJF might be right up his street since he's kinda like a TV-14 Zack in a way.

The hosts also don't have to be fans necessarily it's more so up to who the actual network/PR/agents etc want on the shows. TNT might say "can you put ... on the show to promote our new programming and you can have ... next week to promote ... " So there's politics too like there is in wrestling.

But ideally they need exposure now so they can draw in the biggest possible audience for their first show. I get they might want Kenny etc once they are TV stars but until you shine the spotlight on them they'll just be stars to wrestling fans and that defeats the object. Maybe if they had all The Elite on there and they talk about how they did All In and were close to going to WWE but Tony came along and they set up AEW.

Yea it might be boring to non fans but people can relate to their stories and living their dream(s). If you use that angle it would be quite a compelling story and if they come across well the audience will say "well I'll give them a try as they seem cool guys" kinda viewpoint.

Perhaps if they had a mainstream celeb involved so they could get them some mainstream buzz. But something like Jerry Lawler did with Andy Kaufmann on Letterman might not come across as legit like it did back then.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They both look like junkies who live in a flophouse. It's embarrassing, but the premise is both men traveled to watch a Blink 182 concert in 2019.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Enzo looked like he towers over Joey so it wouldn't really be a fair fight, plus he don't want to start getting in fights anyway since it would make AEW look bad. Joey did start the beef by pranking him but seemed to want to squash it.

Enzos weighed in now

If AEW are smart they stay well away from hiring him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ugh, bragging about getting wasted at a Blink 182 concert in 2019. Both of them are idiots. Grow up, fellas. Getting drunk and seeing a shit pop-punk band was something they should have left in 2000.

They paid to hear this garbage

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

New match added to the card

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Britt Baker made the tag to the wrong Japanese woman :olol: that's racist.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Apparently Britt had a concussion after being kicked in the head by Bea Priestley.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

That was a very weird crowd when Luchasaurus and Sonny Kiss get treated by them like the biggest stars in the company.

Alex Marvez has gotten worse.

Hangman needs to develop charisma badly. He's nowhere near ready to be The Guy now.

It was hilarious how nervous everyone looked when Kenny was giving his closer out of fear he was going to give the finger gun. You can see Cody look noticeably relieved behind him when he didn't.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

:olol: