TV Shows: Renewed, Axed, Picked Up + News

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: TV Shows: Renewed, Axed, Picked Up + News

Post by Bandit »

This will be awesome. But they'll probably cut out the music performances for copyright reasons.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Bandit wrote:

This will be awesome. But they'll probably cut out the music performances for copyright reasons.
Great idea.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Choked on a hotdog would have been a better way for her to go.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Fargos coming back for a fourth season

https://deadline.com/2018/08/fargo-seas ... 39584/amp/

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The first 30 for 30 on Junior Seau will only be on ESPN+ (but may air internationally.) This season will also have shows on Bobby Knight, Tyson vs Douglas, Deion Sanders, and daredevil Felix Baumgartner.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

We get most of the 30 for 30s, and the Junior Seau one would be real interesting although I've seen the A Football Life special on him. His nephew played ball but got cut on Hard Knocks. Tyson v Douglas sounds good too. Will be the third Iron Mike related 30 for 30 then since there's Chasing Tyson and One Night in Vegas. Would like to see another WWE related one too. Hogan where he could use it to genuinely apologise and rebuild his career/rep, also Jesse Ventura from wrestling to governor etc. Roddy Piper would be interesting because of his life but sadly he's not here now to talk about it.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

They may hold off on wrestling ones because the Vice series is basically going to be 30 for 30 for wrestling and they grabbed some big ones like Brody, Benoit, Von Erichs and Moolah.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Axed: Luke Cage, Iron Fist, All About the Washingtons, Animals

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The Simpsons staff are pussies.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it's too much. Will they be writing out the other racial stereotype characters - Fat Tony and the Mob guys, Groundskeeper Willie et al too?. Plus if they do write Apu out they'll likely complain there's not an Indian character on the show since I assume Manjulah & his kids will be written out too. So Matt Groening should stick to his guns here and keep Apu on the show. If he was negatively portrayed and the other characters didn't like him because of his skin colour yea you address it. But he's a well liked character & is portrayed in a positive light. Sometimes the Twitter folks go overboard over totally nonsensical stuff. Much more important things to get worked up about than a cartoon character.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The most they should have done was hire an Indian voice actor to play him. That should be the only complaint because Apu is probably the most honorable male character on the show. He worked hard to create the top business in Springfield, he's a volunteer fireman (he might even be Captain but I'm not 100% sure), he's never portrayed as stupid, etc. The guy who started this had a problem with him being a shop owner, but what's wrong with that? Being a business owner is a good thing. It's a stereotype that most convenience store owners are Indian or Pakistani, but it's not a negative stereotype. "I'm offended you say my countrymen work hard to make a good living. How dare you."

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There's only one person that can replace Apu at the Kwik-E-Mart:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:05 pm The most they should have done was hire an Indian voice actor to play him. That should be the only complaint because Apu is probably the most honorable male character on the show. He worked hard to create the top business in Springfield, he's a volunteer fireman (he might even be Captain but I'm not 100% sure), he's never portrayed as stupid, etc. The guy who started this had a problem with him being a shop owner, but what's wrong with that? Being a business owner is a good thing. It's a stereotype that most convenience store owners are Indian or Pakistani, but it's not a negative stereotype. "I'm offended you say my countrymen work hard to make a good living. How dare you."
Yea I agree. I was going to mention too about hiring an Indian actor to voice Apu but if so where do they draw the line. Do you do the same with Dr Hibbert, Krusty, Groundskeeper Willie etc. Thing is the Simpsons has always been satire and people read far too much into it. South Park is the same. In fact you could argue they go out of their way to push buttons but it's done in such a way you can't be offended by it because it's just so off the wall. Matt Groening has to speak up on this though as no way is Apu a racist portrayal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-india-44027613
"I like Apu, in fact I love him. He has a PhD in computer science, but enjoys running his store, he is a valued citizen of Springfield, a ladies man and adores cricket and is funny," Sidharth Bhatia, Mumbai-based founder-editor of The Wire, told me.
"It reflects true American diversity. The controversy about the stereotyping is classist snobbery - Indians in America don't want to be reminded of a certain kind of immigrant from their country - the shop keepers, the taxi drivers, the burger flippers," says Mr Bhatia.

They would rather project only Silicon Valley successes, the Wall Street players and the Ivy League products, with the proper accents, people they meet for dinner - by itself a stereotype. The millions of Apus in America, the salt-of-the-earth types, with their less 'posh' accents, are an inconvenience to that self-image of this small group of Indian-Americans."
Prof Chakravorty adds that he loves The Simpsons.

"As far as I am concerned: Apu is one of three likable characters in The Simpsons - Lisa and Marge are the others. Homer, a caricature of the ignorant, blue collar white male, is actually the most offensive."
So it's not really a racial thing as such more representative of Apu's position. If so why not have him be Burns second in command at the Power Plant or a tech entrepeneuer?. Problem solved. I think it'll suck if they write Apu out and then Twitter etc will target another character and they'll go next.