Sony General Games Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Re: Sony General Game Thread

Post by pixel »

The haptic feedback in the triggers and analog sticks has me intrigued.

But the one thing is that the white looks really ugly to me. I think it'll look better in all black. The glossy feel is another point of contention, I like matte finishes. (Edit: Now I can't tell about the finish when looking at the photos again :dontknow")

I'll trust Sony on the ergonomics for now. I'm happy to see a more streamlined DualShock, I'll hold off final judgement until I can hold one in my hands.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

And the piss taking has begun

Though if this appears, which surely it will at some point, it looks rather nice & in keeping with the previous pads

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Hawq wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 am And the piss taking has begun
:olol:
Hawq wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 am
See, that looks much better. It still looks like a 3rd-party controller, but I think it looks comfortable.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Considering they will almost assuredly add a variety of color schemes, it shouldn’t be so bad. But the black and white scheme they have now is...not great...to put it mildly.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

anyone else had a small issue with the PS4 not recognising external storage when coming out of standby mode lately or is it just me? being unlucky? seems to work after doing a full shutdown & restart then waiting a few moments after booting but it sure can be annoying & delay getting my cowboy on in RDR 2

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I’ve never even tried external storage since it’s so easy to just throw a bigger internal drive inside it.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

I got lazy with adding storage & went the quick route, might loog into sticking a large drive in the system at some point after I get one to add to my PC, slightly more urgent need of space there

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

PlayStation gifts Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection and Journey to everyone for free

With the current state of the world, a large number of countries have enacted some form of social distancing requirements, with the reasoning being to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 – the virus that has rapidly swept the globe. PlayStation, in an effort to encourage people to stay home, has announced its ‘Play At Home’ initiative, gifting all PS4 users a free copy of Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection as well as Journey.

Announced by Jim Ryan on the PlayStation blog, the CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment stated that “people all over the world are doing the right thing by staying home to help contain the spread of COVID–19. We are deeply grateful to everyone practicing physical distancing and take our responsibility as a home entertainment platform seriously, so we are asking our community to continue supporting the safe choice and the need to Play At Home.”

The Play At Home initiative will see “PlayStation try[ing] to make those occasionally dull moments more exciting by offering Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection and Journey available for free”. Players have from today, the 15th of April, until the 5th of May to redeem these two titles. Once redeemed however, they are yours to keep forever.

Both Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection and Journey need no introduction. The Nathan Drake Collection offers the first three titles in globe trotter Nathan Drake’s story fully remastered for the PlayStation 4. Developed by Naughty Dog, the series has become one of PlayStation’s most well respected. Journey was one of the PlayStation 3’s finest titles. Described as amazing, beautiful and ethereal, the adventure title utilised all of its mechanics, from music to gameplay to visuals, to form an unforgettable experience.

It is worth noting that PlayStation’s current reduction in download speeds is still in effect, “but we appreciate the understanding from our community as we take these measures in an effort to preserve access for everyone”. During stressful times such as these, video games can offer a useful escape. It’s nice to see that Sony is doing all it can in order to help.
source damn & I already got the Uncharted one from PS+, dunno if I can delete that then take advantage of this, probably not though. Pretty sure I got Journey with a + month as well at some point, be nice if they do this with a hame or 2 that werent in the + giveaway at some point if things stay the way they are

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I have Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, so getting the digital version is good and I grabbed Journey as well.
Hawq wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:45 am damn & I already got the Uncharted one from PS+, dunno if I can delete that then take advantage of this, probably not though. Pretty sure I got Journey with a + month as well at some point, be nice if they do this with a hame or 2 that werent in the + giveaway at some point if things stay the way they are
You should be able to get them, so if you ever cancel Plus you will still have them.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

PS5's Launch Aiming to Be Simultaneous Worldwide

While it doesn't sound like there'll be many PlayStation 5 consoles to go around when it launches this Holiday 2020, there's hope you may not have to wait for the system to arrive in your country. You may recall that Sony staggered the release of the PlayStation 4 in 2013, making it available in North America first, then Europe a couple weeks later, and then finally Japan the following year. According to a report on Bloomberg, however, boss Jim Ryan wants the next-gen device to be available everywhere on the same day.

“PlayStation chief Jim Ryan has stressed that the machine’s launch should be simultaneous around the globe, according to people in the company’s supply chain,” the website reports.

This is good news because it means no one will be left twiddling their thumbs, waiting for the hardware to be made available in their region. Of course, it could prove a massive headache for the Japanese giant to overcome, with console launches notoriously challenging – and coronavirus throwing a massive spanner in the works on top. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens, because we’re still not convinced the console is going to make it out on time.
source an ambitous plan doomed to failure I suspect, or at least crippling shortages & scalpers asking 2 grand or more for one

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

thinking of grabbing a bigger HDD for my PS4, found a 5TB one thats between 140-170 (depending on what store you look at) which seems to be the biggest one to go into the system that I can find atm. with that in mind I'm looking for suggestions of good ones to get & if theres anything more than 5TB since the systems able to do up to 8TB these days (from what I looked up). Not keen on the idea of a 3'rd party add-on to use a descktop 3.5 inch disk really, not sure how long it'll take to get one of course as even without the current situation I have troble getting round to things but its needed at some point as I'm full now & so is my external 4TB one (at least an 8TB external is easy to find)

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

When I upgraded my one I just grabbed a cheap-ish USB 3 portable drive (it was probably a Samsung) and took it out of the case. Then I put the old PS4 drive in the case.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:25 am When I upgraded my one I just grabbed a cheap-ish USB 3 portable drive (it was probably a Samsung) and took it out of the case. Then I put the old PS4 drive in the case.
time to start hunting for a cheap large external I guess, at least the prices are fairly decent these days, for some reason I hadnt thought of that option, in hindsight its bloody obvious though

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 am time to start hunting for a cheap large external I guess, at least the prices are fairly decent these days, for some reason I hadnt thought of that option, in hindsight its bloody obvious though
Just make sure it's a 2.5 inch drive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

thats the hard part, seems that most places only have around 5TB ones in that size & if they list an 8 its a 3.5, still guess its better than the stock one & I can always whack an 8TB external into the mix for more space if needed