Retro Gaming Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: Retro Gaming Thread

Post by Hawq »

must be tricky cramming these into 3.5k of ram

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

With any luck, this'll be out during my Saturday morning TV time.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I got OctaMED when CU Amiga put it on one of their cover disks. It was cool to play around with.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Episode 71 - The Sony PlayStation in 1995. The PlayStation launched in September of 1995 with a handful of games that for the most part weren't exactly head-turners, but over the course of what remained of that calendar year the system's library had already seen the addition of titles that would help propel the PlayStation to the top step of the podium among its generation of consoles. These included games like Air Combat, Tekken, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal, and Road Rash, so that while at launch the PlayStation might only have been attractive to hardcore gamers willing to take a risk on a company not normally known for gaming, it quickly became a very viable alternative to the Sega Saturn.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Every PC ENGINE SHOOT EM UP Reviewed and Ranked! Did you know NEC's PC Engine had over 100 Shooters on the system? More than any other game console in history! Yes, more than the Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Playstation or any other console. This video will help you explore the entire PC Engine library by reviewing and ranking every shooter in a massive, epic shmup compilation!

You'll see real hardware including the original PC Engine CD System, Coregrafx, Duo-R, SuperGrafx, US based systems like the TurboGrafx16 and TurboExpress handheld, and even a PC Engine LT! Along with the physical games, cataloging their cover art and whether they are HuCard, CD, SuperCD or Arcade Card. Limited releases like the Hudson Soft Caravan Competition Special HuCards for Gunhed, Final Soldier and Soldier Blade along with hidden shoot em ups within other games like Force Gear and Cychorider. Mail order only Darius Alpha is here too. Even the Pioneer LaserActive PC Engine PAC Vajra games are here! From arcade conversions like Konami's Gradius and Parodius to system exclusives like Gate and Lords of Thunder, the PC Engine shooting library wasn't just quantity, but high in quality. So prepare for the Ultimate PC Engine Shooter video leaving no stone unturned!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ACA NEOGEO – Alpha Mission II, Metal Slug 5, and Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa’s Revenge now available for iOS, Android

The ACA NEOGEO series comes to smartphone.

SNK and Hamster have announced the release of the ACA NEOGEO series for iOS and Android, starting with Alpha Mission II, Metal Slug 5, and Samurai Shodown IV for $3.99 each.

The ACA NEOGEO series was previously only available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One / Windows 10, and Switch.

Here is an overview of each title, via the official website:

NEOGEO’s masterpiece games are now available as apps! The ACA NEOGEO series is a popular series that downloads and distributes the masterpieces released for NEOGEO on the latest game platform developed by Hamster Corporation, and has recorded a cumulative total of over four million downloads. In this work, in addition to display settings, game settings, button settings, online rankings, etc., we have added a quick save / load function and a virtual pad customization function to support comfortable play with the app. Please take this opportunity to enjoy the masterpieces that are still supported.

Alpha Mission II Image

Alpha Mission II is a shooting game released by SNK in 1991. The game is a fan-favorite in the genre, and features unique gameplay allowing players to collect and upgrade armor power-ups and switch them out on the fly. This second entry in the series adds a wealth of new flashy armor power-ups, expanding on the tactical and exciting gameplay the series is known for.

Metal Slug 5 Image

Metal Slug 5 is an action shooting game released by SNK in 2003. The Ptolemaic Army has stolen some very confidential files! Choose from four familiar faces: Marco, Eri, Tarma, or Fio to take them down! Look forward to the new Slug Gunner and slide mechanic!

Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa’s Revenge Image

Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa’s Revenge is a fighting game released by SNK in 1996. Warriors with their own respective goals and expectations will challenge Amakusa, who has returned to life again and plans to conquer the modern world. Attacks using the “Anger Gauge” can lead to unexpected outcomes and make battles even more intense!

Source: Gematsu

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I tried to play Crazy Taxi on my phone. We're not quite there yet.
Phone has the power of like 100 dreamcasts, and had a version made for phones, but still not there.

Also, have any of you guys hacked those new game and watches?

I got the Zelda one on my to do pile. (I know the Mario one's been out for ages) It's a beautiful bit of hardware, but only having 1 good game on it (Links Awakening) is a little bit of a bummer...
I'd love to be able to play some original gameboy games on it when I've finished the actual game. Playing Pokemon Blue, Wave Race, and Kirbys Dreamland on it in bed would just be the perfect thing for this beautifully made device.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I haven't hacked either of them. Keeping them pure.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:44 am I haven't hacked either of them. Keeping them pure.
I suppose you have all the handhelds ever made, and every game for them all so you can afford to keep them pure.
But some of us just want something pocket sized.

I know I could get one of those cheap clone emulation devices for like $3.50 from china and be playing GTA5 on a device the size of a 50 cent piece, but this thing (at least my zelda one) is a beautiful bit of hardware, and I can think of nothing I would rather play gameboy and gameboy color games on. (Not even a gameboy/pocket/color)

It's so good I actually want to use it (Not just take it out of the box to look and feel how good it is, which is all I've done so far) I know if I can get some more games on it, I will actually use it for more than 5 minutes once I've played Links awakening. Unlike the Snes mini which I did have hacked, I know I would use this a lot specifically for all the games I want to revisit.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

I'd hack one of these Game and Watch handhelds, but it isn't the easiest task in the world. Not the hardest mod I've seen, I'd rather do this than ever work on a DS again. :olol: I'm also not very motivated because of my Gameboy/DS/3DS collection.

These Game and Watch handhelds have to be the least cynical thing that Nintendo has put out in years, the build quality is great. The Mario Bros model is still plentiful on store shelves over here, which is a shocking business move coming from these assholes.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

reading that made me hard at the possibility! I want to mod more than ever after seeing tetris on it. I think I want a mario one now too... a bunch of games on one, and a bunch of different games on the other.

I mean if Nintendo made these things and then had a drop down list of like 5-10 games to choose from that I wanted I'd pay a lot for that... but as it is, the hardware alone just feels so good. They feel natural to hold.

If they offered me lets say, pick any 10 games from the entire NES or gameboy library for $199. I would do that in a heartbeat, but alas I have to think about hacking shit in to make the device more than a one hit wonder.
-Two Interactive.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

http://segabits.com/blog/2021/12/10/seg ... ion-patch/

Why are they all named after wrestlers?

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Today I was in a PS2 mood after my hdd adapter arrived, so I checked out it and my new cheap ass Component cable.

This is the cable for $6.95
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/32429703325 ... 2749.l2649
I don't have my capture and editing PC up at the moment, but even just side by side the difference was huge. I have 2 identical Sony 68cm trinitrons, so put my PS2 with bog standard CVBS cable and optical discs on the left, and my NEW PS2 PRO on the right.

And before I can do a full review, I will say that the upgrade was worth the $7. Old gaming doesn't have to cost 8 million dollars.

and the "network" adapter for $29.29
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/37379886992 ... 2749.l2649
Of course it doesn't have network functionality like the old getting more expensive genuine Sony ones, but this also has SATA so newer, faster, cheaper and quieter drives are readily available.
I used a clapped out old 80GB seagate which I've had since forever since it was the closest drive I could find, formatted it and put a couple of test games on it (Burnout, GTA LCS)

The PS2 PRO with this 80GB drive was quite nice. In Burnout the difference was actually quite minimal. 1-2 second improvement over the optical drive PS2. But in GTA, the loading times and noise difference was remarkable. The PS2 PRO was on average about 10 seconds faster each time there was a loading screen.
The PS2 PRO cost $37 more than the PS2 NOOB.

Total cost of ownership (including the PS2, Cable, adapter, games, hard drive and even TV was under $100) Why the fuck do people buy 8 million dollar cables when $37 can make such a remarkable difference?
I suspect I could achieve even better results with a non thrashed hard drive...
I do have a thing for cheap cables, because they can often make old games just so much better without the bullshit cost. COUGHretrotinkCOUGH and without the bullshit fucking around to make games even work properly COUGHemulationCOUGH.

Plug in shit $10 cable and play games, as it should be.

I do have some better testing on a cheap cable I got for the saturn a while back:
I've tested the difference between a cheap $6.97 including postage Sega Saturn AV cable and an Ultra Premium, super deluxe, uberpro, break the bank $7.95 including postage Sega Saturn S-video cable.

THE RESULTS WILL SHOCK YOU:
b4.png
No trickery, no bullshit youtube making things look worse to suit a product I'm selling. That's all identical hardware and software with the only difference being a cable.

So sometimes, spending those extra 98 cents IS worth it, even if it FEELS like it's too expensive! Especially worth it if you're playing on a nice modern display from time to time and want to do the odd capture here and there.

When I rebuild my capture PC, I'll do some more comprehensive tests and pictures, but untill then I got some games to play :osmile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Two Interactive.

Manoel
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by Manoel »

Retroquad 0.10.0 Public Release

A game engine with the most advanced realtime 8-bit color software renderer on Earth.

Detailed info, screenshots, video links and download here:
Retroquad 0.10.0.