GameStop Pivoting to New Experiences, Retro-Only Stores

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
pixel
Fighting Mongooses

GameStop Pivoting to New Experiences, Retro-Only Stores

Post by pixel »

Joystickr wrote:GameStop Corp., the company behind the world’s largest retail gaming chain, has recently announced that it will commence refocusing efforts to create more unique in-store experiences amid ever-increasing digital sales. In an effort to reach its goals, GameStop is forming a strategic partnership with R/GA, a global innovation design firm.

GameStop’s announcement and partnership with R/GA come after the two companies conducted qualitative and quantitative research on what apparently motivates gamers. These four motivations are:
  • Immersion
  • Achievement
  • Creativity
  • Community
With these for motivations in mind, the two companies will commence efforts to transform GameStop’s business structure to refocus on customer-centric experiences. Such experiences incorporate more streamlined concepts for physical retail stores that will provide more opportunities for gamers to ‘try before they buy.’ Store layouts will also be adjusted.

According to an official press release, GameStop and R/GA are also looking to create in-store spaces for local gaming competitions and stores that specifically sell only retro gaming hardware and software — things the company likely has a large supply of, given that it has been the go-to place to exchange old video games, consoles, and peripherals for many years.

In other GameStop-related news, the company just recently announced the end results of its tender offer to buy a maximum of 12,000,000 Class A common stock shares at one-tenth of a penny per share. Many financial analysts have long noted that the brick-and-mortar company is in decline. It recently witnessed its stock price drop from $16 per share to $5 per share in 2019, alone.

With this in mind, it comes as no surprise that the company would pivot — but doubling down on brick-and-mortar locations may come as a surprise to many as the world continues to transition into an always-more digital atmosphere.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: GameStop Pivoting to New Experiences, Retro-Only Stores

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

EB in Australia need to bring the retro back like Gamestop have.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 pm EB in Australia need to bring the retro back like Gamestop have.
No they just need to stop with the endless sales, and overpriced bargain bins. and have normal prices.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:49 pm No they just need to stop with the endless sales, and overpriced bargain bins. and have normal prices.
No, keep the sales going!

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

4 year old PS4 game... WAS $99. SALE $79... WOW $20 off!!!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Not those sales, the ones for stuff under $30 are good and when they get rid of good things for $4.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Sounds a lot like the GameStop model for game titles, too. :olol:

I'm from a rural state, so I think that GameStop has a moderately important role for kids in small towns. The old Software Etc. in my hometown mall was big for me because it was one of the only places for me to shop for video games.