Radionomy prepares to resurrect Winamp

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Radionomy prepares to resurrect Winamp

Post by Hawq »

Winamp, the much-loved audio media player which appeared to have become defunct five years ago, is about to make a comeback.

The app was acquired from AOL by a company called Radionomy, which said it would carry on developing it for desktops and mobile devices – but nothing further was announced. However, last month, a beta version of Winamp 5.8 appeared online (as detailed by Neowin), which brought better Windows 10 compatibility and a host of other tweaks.

Now, as revealed in an interview with TechCrunch, Radionomy CEO Alexandre Saboundjian has announced that Winamp 6 is in development, and due for a 2019 release. Saboundjian said: “There will be a completely new version next year, with the legacy of Winamp but a more complete listening experience. You can listen to the MP3s you may have at home, but also to the cloud, to podcasts, to streaming radio stations, to a playlist you perhaps have built. People want one single experience. I think Winamp is the perfect player to bring that to everybody. And we want people to have it on every device.”

The idea of a standalone audio player may sound quaint in this streaming age, but Winamp unquestionably still has a major following – and from what Saboundjian said above, Winamp 6 appears to be heading to all the mobile platforms as well as its old desktop constituency. In the meantime, 2013’s Winamp 5.666 can be downloaded here for Windows, Mac and Android, and the updated Winamp 5.8 is due to be released on October 18. For more information, head to the app’s official website.
source

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Radionomy prepares to resurrect Winamp

Post by melancholy »

Oh man, I’d try it just for the nostalgia.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I was still using Winamp up until my HDD that contained all my music died recently.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I used it until about a year ago when it stopped working properly for some reason. Switched to MusicBee, which is fine.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Between Spotify and Plex, I don't use a traditional music player anymore :( It would be cool if something like Winamp could work with my streaming services.

Also, here's my hot take: Soundjam MP was better ;)