PC Games General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Hawq
Site Admin

Re: PC Games General Thread

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

link to the mod here

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I'd be looking forward to playing a non gimmick Alyx... But my PC isn't good enough, and since I'm not paying $1400 for a GPU that's worth $699 I'll have to take my money elsewhere. (Probably a portable of some description so I can play in bed)

Also, I've been trying to get F.E.A.R. working on period correct hardware... Again! I either have 2 FPS and the game looks ok. Or 40-60 FPS at 640 by 480 with everything turned down...
I remember back when I first played it, it was a little bit of a resource hog compared to NOLF2 AND Jack but fucking hell I didn't think it played this bad..

How did PC gaming ever take off? I'm just gonna get the game on steam and throw everything I can to hopefully make it playable, because when I can get the settings maxed out AND running at a decent frame rate, I'll enjoy the game again...
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Valve Restricts Accounts of 2500 Users Who Marked a Negative Game Review Useful

In late January, a Steam user posted a negative review for the game Warlander, warning potential buyers about the shady anti-cheat system the game was using, the apparent problems being intrusive data collection and difficult removal after the game itself had been uninstalled (the review text is no longer available). This review stayed on top as the most helpful review for nearly three months, which must have been a big thorn in the side for the developer and the publisher.

Until yesterday, when they managed to get a Steam moderator to remove the negative review. In a perfect, consumer-friendly world it should have been another way around, and the game's sales page removed until the claims were investigated by Valve, but this is not a perfect world. However, things didn't end there.

Apparently the Steam moderator categorized the negative review as "attempting to scam users or other violations of Steam's Rules & Guidelines", which meant that all those 2439 people (plus people who have it 437 awards) got their accounts restricted for 30 days, during this time none of them can up- or downvote any Steam reviews at all.

Support tickets from affected users to Steam Support have received a default response saying Support will not help nor adjust the length of vote bans.

The Steam review system was never perfect, but the impact of this kind of behavior from Valve will render the whole system completely pointless, as negative reviews can be culled by the developers/publishers at any time, and people will just stop marking any negative review as useful to avoid these kinds of repercussions.

From after I submitted it, it looks like they blanket banned all negative reviews, at least all those mentioning privacy issues with the "anti-cheat". So the number of people being collateral damage, because of Valve's obviously faulty system, is probably much more than the original 2400.

The Steam review system has been one of the things that made Steam the better platform above the rest. But if people can no longer vote any reviews helpful, or are too afraid to even add reviews, it would sadly render the whole review system pointless.

At the least, Valve needs to revise the system around these voting bans (and perhaps have a long discussion with the "Steam moderator" who banned the reviews in the first place). The current system is not very good PR for Valve, not even Amazon punishes people for marking reviews helpful.

Source: Slashdot

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

otherwise known as trying to polish a turd, still they might make something at least halfway decent out of it so its playable without making my eyes bleed & wishing death would arrive already

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Today we’re shipping a significant update to Steam Client, with new features and improvements to the Steam Desktop experience. The update includes a completely redesigned in-game overlay with new features, new notes functionality, pinnable in-game windows, improvements to notifications and more.

In addition to these features, a good portion of the work we did in this update went towards improvements under-the-hood, including changes to how we share code across Steam Desktop, Steam Deck, and Big Picture Mode.