The Boxing Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

The Boxing Thread

Post by Bandit »

Floyd Mayweather Jr. may not have officially announced he's coming out of retirement, but his team is making preparations just in case.

ESPN's Darren Rovell reported Mayweather filed trademarks for "TMT 50" and "TBE 50" on April 21. TMT stands for The Money Team, and TBE is an acronym for The Best Ever, both synonymous with Mayweather's branding.

Mayweather, 39, retired from boxing with a 49-0 record after defeating Andre Berto via unanimous decision last September.

The former pound-for-pound king has been working with his Mayweather Promotions team since walking away, which features a roster that includes WBC super middleweight champion Badou Jack. Comeback stories have been cropping up all over since Saturday, when Mayweather hinted at a potential return in an interview with Showtime's Jim Gray.

“Everyone is asking me, ‘Is Floyd Mayweather coming back?’ Mayweather said, via Mike Coppinger of USA Today. “Right now, I’m happy being on (the promotional) side, but I’ve been talking with CBS and Showtime, and you just never know. But right now, I’m just happy on this side."

Mayweather made his comments on Showtime's telecast of Jack's surprising draw with Lucian Bute. The world's reigning highest-paid athlete said Showtime and parent company CBS have offered him record-setting sums for a return to the ring.

“As of right now, some crazy numbers have been thrown my way—upwards, of course, of nine figures," Mayweather said. "But I’m truly blessed beyond belief, and I really don’t know what we’re going to do. But right now, I’m really happy being on this side helping fighters.”

As of right now, there is no real obvious opponent. Gennady Golovkin has been a dream matchup for years, but Mayweather didn't seem too enthused about the possibility. He indicated he'd be at a distinct disadvantage against GGG, who typically fights in the 160-pound range.

The most obvious possible option is Manny Pacquiao, who announced his own retirement last month after defeating Timothy Bradley. The first Mayweather-Pacquiao fight shattered boxing purse and pay-per-view records but proved to be underwhelming in the ring. Mayweather dominated a timid Pacquiao for a unanimous-decision win that took the air out of a rivalry that was a half-decade in the making.

Mayweather-Pacquiao II is still the biggest possible fight for a return bout, but both parties would have to work hard to make fans forget about the first time they went head-to-head. Either way, it's looking more likely than not that Mayweather will become the latest boxer to second-guess his decision to step away.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

-- The Sun has broken the story that former WrestleMania performer and undefeated pro boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. and embattled UFC Superstar Conor McGregor are in the final stages of negotiating a boxing match for this summer. Since The Sun broke this story a variety of other reputable sources have re-run it as well.

According to The Sun’s report Mayweather would come out of retirement to put his 49-0 record on the line against McGregor for upwards of $144 million dollars. McGregor would earn slightly over $10 million dollars for the fight. It also notes that the fight is set to happen in Las Vegas which is also the home turf for the UFC.

I reached out to The Sherdog Radio Network’s TJ DeSantis for comment about the story and he had the following to say to me:

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear. If Conor McGregor has a contract that allows him to box, I’d be blown away. The UFC lets it’s athletes grapple, that’s it. Ronda Rousey can’t even do WrestleMania… they’re not going to let Conor box. Also, the proposed bout would be in Vegas. I’m pretty sure the athletic commission wouldn’t grant McGregor a license if he had an exclusive deal with the UFC. Plus, I wonder if they would grant Conor a license to box based on the disparity in experience. The athletic commission takes even playing field in to consideration. Conor has never had a pro boxing bout. You don’t get to fight the best boxer in the world when you have never boxed.

You can read the full article by clicking HERE

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Maybe if Dana was the main promoter. But Mayweather wouldn't let him have that big of a cut. Dana should let it happen, since it would kill even the Pacquiao buyrate. But keep in mind this is the same guy who wouldn't let Randy Couture fight Fedor even though that would have done way better than the Couture-Vera, just because he refused to let Mark Cuban co-promote when he was briefly Fedor's promoter post-PRIDE.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Dana will find a way to throw a spanner in the works. In hindsight McGregor should retired from UFC and did the fight with Mayweather as he'd potentially set himself up for life with one fight in comparison to an entire career of fights in the UFC. If and it's a gigantic if the fight goes ahead it'll set an all time PPV record for sure. Maybe if White and the UFC get a cut of PPV buy revenue he will give the OK. Otherwise I don't see the fight going ahead.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Heavyweight champ Tyson Fury notified of positive test for cocaine

Heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury, who pulled out of an Oct. 29 rematch with former champion Wladimir Klitschko last week for unspecified reasons, with his promoter only saying he was "medically unfit," has been notified that he tested positive for cocaine.

Klitschko and Fury agreed to have drug testing for their rematch overseen by the Las Vegas-based Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.

England's Fury submitted to a random urine test Sept. 22 in Lancaster, England, and those results came back positive for the substance benzoylecgonine, the central compound found in cocaine and the marker for a positive test for the banned substance.

In a letter from VADA president Dr. Margaret Goodman sent to representatives for Fury, Klitschko, the British Boxing Board of Control and the United States' Association of Boxing Commissions on Thursday night, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN.com, she wrote, "This letter is to advise you that the 'A' sample urine specimen number 4006253 collected from Tyson Fury on September 22, 2016 in Lancaster, England through his participation in the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) program has been analyzed for anabolic agents, diuretics, beta-2 agonists, stimulants and drugs of abuse. The results of the analysis are as follows: Adverse. Urine specimen contains benzoylecgonine."

The VADA testing for performance-enhancing drugs is done separately and takes longer, so those results are not yet available.

"Mr. Fury has the right to promptly request analysis of the 'B' sample at his expense," Goodman wrote.

The positive test likely will result in Fury being stripped of his heavyweight world title belts, which he was supposed to defend in a rematch with Ukraine's Klitschko on Oct. 29 at the Manchester Arena in Manchester, England, Fury's hometown.

Source: ESPN

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

This is Adelaide Oval:

If they can fill that they will be doing well.

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

Its going to be a shit fight, I wouldn't even buy the fight on main event. They are both old, looking for that last pay check and Mundine is going to fight atleast 15kg out of his usual weight.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Prophet][ wrote:Its going to be a shit fight, I wouldn't even buy the fight on main event. They are both old, looking for that last pay check and Mundine is going to fight atleast 15kg out of his usual weight.
Jeff Fenech wants the fight called off because he thinks Mundine could get seriously hurt, mainly due to Green weighing 10kg more than him.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He fell on top of his head so he's lucky he didn't break his neck or fracture his skull.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yeah it could have ended up being worse than it was.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Not many went to the Green/Mundine fight.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

That feels too rushed. Floyd likes traveling around the world doing press conferences and then doing his training camp. I was thinking the fight would be in September if it was going to happen.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Boxing Thread (Mayweather vs McGregor)

Post by Bandit »

The fight will suck, but the build up is going to make it sell at least 2.5 million buys. They're two of the best promos in the world, they should just have a shit talking contest on PPV instead of the inevitable "Floyd works angles and Conor has no idea how to get to him." The puncher chance theory won't work.I've seen Floyd take some massive shots that should have knocked him loopy but he kept fighting. His chin is very underrated. And Floyd is a smart guy so he's not going to take him lightly and goof off in the gym, he's going to work hard like he always did.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Prophet][
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Prophet][ »

I wouldn't discount that its fake or taken out of context.