The General News/Current Affairs Thread

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Skynet
Site Admin

Re: Random News Thread

Post by Skynet »

My go to used to be Dick Smith (you might have seen it referenced in Dankpods videos) as they used to sell all sorts of hobby stuff. Unfortunately they stopped doing all hobby shit, became just another electronics retailer and eventually went under, only to come back as just another online retailer with no physical presence.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Skynet wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:08 pm My go to used to be Dick Smith (you might have seen it referenced in Dankpods videos) as they used to sell all sorts of hobby stuff. Unfortunately they stopped doing all hobby shit, became just another electronics retailer and eventually went under, only to come back as just another online retailer with no physical presence.
I MEMBER!!

Sure we still have Jaycar and Altronics, but Dick Smith had every conceivable electronic component for any project.
Mine had a whole wall of resistors 8 feet tall!

Good times.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:08 am
Skynet wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:08 pm My go to used to be Dick Smith (you might have seen it referenced in Dankpods videos) as they used to sell all sorts of hobby stuff. Unfortunately they stopped doing all hobby shit, became just another electronics retailer and eventually went under, only to come back as just another online retailer with no physical presence.
I MEMBER!!

Sure we still have Jaycar and Altronics, but Dick Smith had every conceivable electronic component for any project.
Mine had a whole wall of resistors 8 feet tall!

Good times.
I haven't been to Altronics, but there's one relatively close to me. Jaycar is even closer. Infact I grabbed my LED arcade switches from there last year, which are currently in my arcade machine.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I haven't been to either in a good few years, but Jaycar was veering off completely into the toys and tat that dick smith transitioned to last time I went in, but from what a friend has told me, they are actually back on track with electronic components and they can actually order stuff in in a timely manner if a store doesn't have a particulat part. which is what you want.

I will be going to jaycar soon because I want to wire some lights for my slot cars, both Altronics stores in Melbourne are no where near me (40 minutes) but I have 3 Jaycars within 20 minutes. I used to have 2 Dick Smith's within 5 minutes, but I'd go to altronics if I ever want another Raspberry pi.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

ian wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:23 am I haven't been to either in a good few years, but Jaycar was veering off completely into the toys and tat that dick smith transitioned to last time I went in, but from what a friend has told me, they are actually back on track with electronic components and they can actually order stuff in in a timely manner if a store doesn't have a particulat part. which is what you want.

I will be going to jaycar soon because I want to wire some lights for my slot cars, both Altronics stores in Melbourne are no where near me (40 minutes) but I have 3 Jaycars within 20 minutes. I used to have 2 Dick Smith's within 5 minutes, but I'd go to altronics if I ever want another Raspberry pi.
I have 2 Jaycars in under 10 mins form me, the Altronics is probably 10-15 mins away tops. So that's not bad

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It would be very cool if AI could help paralyzed people or those with ALS. But I never feel comfortable with the idea of it being popularized. Maybe I've seen too many sci-fi movies.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I'm worried about getting beaten by monkeys in online games.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Good riddance.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

If South Dakota keeps growing at this rate, we'll reach a million in about ... 12 more years! :whoa:

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, but I don't know if we should be pushing for even more idiots to go to Congress. The House tends to get the worst politicians that make the Senate seem dignified.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »