General Music News

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: General Music News

Post by Bandit »

It isn't clear. If it's just voices it doesn't make sense for Bob Dylan to be so high or Tom Waits to be on the list at all unless you're taking their songwriting into account. But if it's artistry MJ and Prince should be top five since they were the total package of song writing, performing and having great voices. And of the women Mariah being the only one who writes her own songs should put her above the others.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

If it was prefaced by the author of the article saying these are my top 100 voices in music and here's why it would make more sense. If we use Sam Cooke as an example, his best vocal performances were with the Soul Stirrers and on Live at the Harlem Square Club and his more bluesy/soul songs like A Change is Gonna Come & Bring it on Home. If if it's based on You Send Me and his more pop type performances then it puts him at a disadvantage because they are more simple and didn't show off his vocal range.

You could say singing doesn't have to be note for note, technically perfect. Which is why singers who aren't great per se are on the list because their voices evoke emotion when you listen to their music. But again there's no indication if that's the judging criteria with the list. Is it to do with cultural impact, record sales, songwriting ability etc it were more clear then it might be more credible.

It's also down to personal preference so this list might be representative of that too. But to see Steve Perry as another example behind Bob and guys like James Ingram, Michael McDonald, Al Jarreau, George Michael, Sanada Maitreya (TTD), Ron Isley, Charlie Wilson to name a few not on the list is just confusing.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

How much for Spice Girls - Spiceworld signed by Morrissey?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

$5,000 for that. $7,500 for Limp Bizkit's Results May Vary, $10,000 for the signed copy of Paris Hilton's Paris album.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Hmmmm, good value.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I just got the new Prince autobiography The Beautiful Ones. It's kind of boring so far.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Grammy nominations announced.

Record Of The Year
Award to the Artist and to the Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s) and/or Mixer(s) and mastering engineer(s), if other than the artist.

HEY, MA
Bon Iver
BJ Burton, Brad Cook, Chris Messina & Justin Vernon, producers; BJ Burton, Zach Hansen & Chris Messina, engineers/mixers; Greg Calbi, mastering engineer

BAD GUY
Billie Eilish
Finneas O'Connell, producer; Rob Kinelski & Finneas O'Connell, engineers/mixers; John Greenham, mastering engineer

7 RINGS
Ariana Grande
Charles Anderson, Tommy Brown, Michael Foster &
Victoria Monet, producers; Serban Ghenea, John Hanes,
Billy Hickey & Brendan Morawski, engineers/mixers;
Randy Merrill, mastering engineer

HARD PLACE
H.E.R.
Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins, producer; Joseph Hurtado, Jaycen Joshua, Derek Keota & Miki Tsutsumi, engineers/mixers; Colin Leonard, mastering engineer

TALK
Khalid
Disclosure & Denis Kosiak, producers; Ingmar Carlson, Jon Castelli, Josh Deguzman, John Kercy, Denis Kosiak, Guy Lawrence & Michael Romero, engineers/mixers; Dale Becker, mastering engineer

OLD TOWN ROAD
Lil Nas X Featuring Billy Ray Cyrus
Andrew "VoxGod" Bolooki & YoungKio, producers; Andrew "VoxGod" Bolooki & Cinco, engineers/mixers; Eric Lagg, mastering engineer

TRUTH HURTS
Lizzo
Ricky Reed & Tele, producers; Chris Galland, Manny Marroquin & Ethan Shumaker, engineers/mixers; Chris Gehringer, mastering engineer

SUNFLOWER
Post Malone & Swae Lee
Louis Bell & Carter Lang, producers; Louis Bell & Manny Marroquin, engineers/mixers

Album Of The Year

I,I
Bon Iver
Brad Cook, Chris Messina & Justin Vernon, producers; Zach Hansen & Chris Messina, engineers/mixers; BJ Burton, Brad Cook & Justin Vernon, songwriters; Greg Calbi, mastering engineer

NORMAN FUCKING ROCKWELL!
Lana Del Rey
Jack Antonoff & Lana Del Rey, producers; Jack Antonoff & Laura Sisk, engineers/mixers; Jack Antonoff & Lana Del Rey, songwriters; Chris Gehringer, mastering engineer

WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
Billie Eilish
Finneas O'Connell, producer; Rob Kinelski & Finneas O'Connell, engineers/mixers; Billie Eilish O'Connell & Finneas O'Connell, songwriters; John Greenham, mastering engineer

THANK U, NEXT
Ariana Grande
Tommy Brown, Ilya, Max Martin & Victoria Monet, producers; Serban Ghenea & Brendan Morawski, engineers/mixers; Tommy Brown, Ariana Grande, Savan Kotecha, Max Martin, Victoria Monet, Tayla Parx & Ilya Salmanzadeh, songwriters; Randy Merrill, mastering engineer

I USED TO KNOW HER
H.E.R.
David "Swagg R'Celious" Harris, H.E.R., Walter Jones & Jeff Robinson, producers; Miki Tsutsumi, engineer/mixer; Sam Ashworth, Jeff “Gitty” Gitelman, David "Swagg R'Celious" Harris & H.E.R., songwriters; Colin Leonard, mastering engineer

Lil Nas X
Montero Lamar Hill, songwriter; Eric Lagg, mastering engineer

CUZ I LOVE YOU (DELUXE)
Lizzo
Ricky Reed, producer; Manny Marroquin & Ethan Shumaker, engineers/mixers; Eric Frederic & Melissa Jefferson, songwriters; Chris Gehringer, mastering engineer

FATHER OF THE BRIDE
Vampire Weekend
Ezra Koenig & Ariel Rechtshaid, producers; John DeBold, Chris Kasych, Takemasa Kosaka, Ariel Rechtshaid & Hiroya Takayama, engineers/mixers; Ezra Koenig, songwriter; Emily Lazar, mastering engineer

Song Of The Year
A Songwriter(s) Award. A song is eligible if it was first released or if it first achieved prominence during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.

ALWAYS REMEMBER US THIS WAY
Natalie Hemby, Lady Gaga, Hillary Lindsey & Lori McKenna, songwriters (Lady Gaga)

BAD GUY
Billie Eilish O'Connell & Finneas O'Connell, songwriters (Billie Eilish)

BRING MY FLOWERS NOW
Brandi Carlile, Phil Hanseroth, Tim Hanseroth & Tanya Tucker, songwriters (Tanya Tucker)

HARD PLACE
Ruby Amanfu, Sam Ashworth, D. Arcelious Harris, H.E.R. & Rodney Jerkins, songwriters (H.E.R.)

LOVER
Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)

NORMAN FUCKING ROCKWELL
Jack Antonoff & Lana Del Rey, songwriters (Lana Del Rey)

SOMEONE YOU LOVED
Tom Barnes, Lewis Capaldi, Pete Kelleher, Benjamin Kohn & Sam Roman, songwriters (Lewis Capaldi)

TRUTH HURTS
Steven Cheung, Eric Frederic, Melissa Jefferson & Jesse Saint John, songwriters (Lizzo)

Best New Artist

BLACK PUMAS

BILLIE EILISH

LIL NAS X

LIZZO

MAGGIE ROGERS

ROSALÍA

TANK AND THE BANGAS

YOLA

Lil Nas X gets an album of the year nomination. :nono:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:39 pm I just got the new Prince autobiography The Beautiful Ones. It's kind of boring so far.
It was very much a work in progress and shouldn't really have been released. I definitely recommend
by Per Nilsen for a more definitive story. I don't believe he ever wrote a follow up so this covers til around 1990 though but it's still a great book and in my opinion by far the best biography about Prince. Per Nilsen was behind the Uptown fanzine too.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I'm going to try one even though they look awful.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I don’t know if I even know any other song by Warren G. That song is just so ubiquitous to him.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Warren G had some other hits, but yeah, Regulate was massive. He tried to get out of his brother Dr. Dre's shadow by leaving Death Row Records when they were the gods of rap which hurt his career. But it was like if John Lennon had a younger brother trying to make music away from The Beatles. So it's unfortunate because he did make good music but it couldn't compare to what Dre and Death Row were doing. But he did write stuff for The Chronic and Doggystyle so he was a very important part of the west coast era of hip hop.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Warren got two songs to #2 in the UK, "What's Love Got To Do With It" with Adina Howard & "I Shot the Sheriff". "Regulate" got to #5. He also had a top 20 hit with "Smokin' Me Out" with Ronald Isley which charted at #14. He was part of 213 with Nate & Snoop but they only put out one album in 2004.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

"Prince Igor" also got to 15 in the UK.

And "This DJ" went 12 in the UK and 9 in the US.

In Australia "What's Love Got To Do With It" (#2) & "I Shot the Sheriff" (#8) were his biggest charting hits, but Regulate (#16) is the one that still gets played.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

:vomit:

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I think they may have been confused on what qualifies as a ‘rock’ song.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:05 pm I think they may have been confused on what qualifies as a song.
FTFY
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »