Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Calavera's Goodwill/Flea Market Finds 2: Resurrection

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Those traffic sounds seem a bit out of place. Still cool though.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:07 am Those traffic sounds seem a bit out of place. Still cool though.
I kind of like them actually, but I can't imagine them ever being used much.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Calavera wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 am
Also picked up a wired PowerA Spectra controller fox Xbox One/PC. I might end up using it as my primary PC controller.

I did end up using it. It seemed pretty good until I tried playing PIlotwings on SNES the other day. The D-pad is terrible! I'm usually not too picky with controllers. People said the 360 controller had a bad D-pad too but I thought it was fine and used it in emulators for years. This Xbox One D-pad however is the worst I've ever used. When I played Pilotwings it was awful, I couldn't do any diagonal inputs! Not easily anyway. To fix that problem I just hooked up my old PC Magic Box that I've had for probably 15 years or more. It lets you use Playstation,Dreamcast and Saturn controllers on PC. I plugged in a Japanese style Sega Saturn controller and was good to go. The other thing about the Xbox One controller I'm not crazy about is the rumble in the triggers which they call "impulse triggers" I didn't even know it had them until I played Forza Horizon 3 yesterday. When you take off and are spinning the wheels the right triggers buzzes way too much. It isn't really a rumble to me, more like an annoying buzzing sound. Not a huge problem but I'm not a fan of them. If they bother me too much I can always just cut the wires to the trigger rumble motors.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up a Kenwood KD-291R turntable for $10. I actually bought this one to use and not just try out once and put it away for years!

The Quasar on the top is what I was previously using as my main record player. It works good but the problem is that it doesn't have RCA outputs so it isn't able to be hooked into my main receiver. So I had to run speaker cables from my receiver to my speakers and then a separate set of cables from the Quasar to the speakers. Plus it also had a cassette player which I already have a separate deck hooked up and a radio which the receiver has. So now I can just hook this to the phono input on the receiver and have everything hooked into one receiver. Right now I have a 5 disc CD changer, dual cassette deck, Minidisc, 8-track and record player all hooked in to my JVC RX-701V receiver. Almost every format you could want to listen to!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Cool. That's a nice setup.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Calavera wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:51 pmAlmost every format you could want to listen to!
No one ever wanted to listen to Mini Discs :olol:
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:06 am
Calavera wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:51 pmAlmost every format you could want to listen to!
No one ever wanted to listen to Mini Discs :olol:
Lol, I only have one disc for it which is "Joe Cocker - One Night of Sin" I found it mixed in with the cassettes at a Goodwill one time. I know Minidisc was primarily used for recording your own discs but I don't own any blank ones. The Mini Disc player is there more for show than it is to actually listen to. :olol:

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up a pretty nice wireless Logitech keyboard for $1.50 yesterday. They had around 5 fairly nice wireless keyboards, all Logitech but not one of them had the necessary wireless receiver with it. The keyboard I've been using is a wireless Logitech. I've tried buying one without the receiver in the past hoping it would work with the receiver I have but it didn't. They had one I really liked for $3 and it was 50 percent off so I figured for $1.50 I'd take a chance and see if it worked. I was pretty surprised when I took it home and it connected immediately! It is a MX 3000.

Mine is a dark blue instead of gray like the above pictures. It has all kinds of shortcut buttons that I will never use, it even has a scroll wheel which I've not seen on a keyboard before. I like the volume control being the silver wheel at the middle of the top. My previous keyboard had it on the arrow keys and you had to hold a function button to use it and it seemed like it didn't work that well once a program was loaded. A very nice upgraded from my severely cigarette burnt Ex 100.

EDIT

It appears mine is an LX 700 and not an MX 3000.

As you can see there is very little difference between the two.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

The MX 3000 laser cordless desktop with the original MX 1000 mouse and touch media controls and screen on the board was the finest wireless desktop ever made

And the first time a wireless mouse could be used lag free.
Assuming you kept it within 3 feet unobstructed from the receiver.

But nice buy.
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:17 pm The MX 3000 laser cordless desktop with the original MX 1000 mouse and touch media controls and screen on the board was the finest wireless desktop ever made

But nice buy.
After I posted that I realized my keyboard is actually the LX 700. The only difference I can see from the pictures is that on the LX 300 there are 3 round buttons on each side of the volume wheel while on the MX 3000 they have been changed to rectangular buttons and moved to the top of the volume wheel. As for the mouse I wouldn't have used it even if it had been included. I'm a trackball man :ocool:

I also bought another record player very similar looking to the one I posted a few days ago. This one is an Optimus Lab-2250 with linear tracking. For those that don't know that is when the tone arm comes straight down from the top of the player and is moved along the record via a motor and buttons on the front.

I'm not sure why I even bought this one. When I bought it I knew the belt was broken and the stylus was shot. A new belt is $10 and a new stylus is $15. I put a rubber band on it for the belt just messing around and while it of course spins it around I don't know if a rubber band will work as a replacement. When I've tried it with cassette players a rubber band usually made the audio "warbly" since a rubber band is stretchy it didn't play at a constant speed. Without a working stylus I don't know if my rubber band belt is spinning it properly. I'm going to check and see if maybe the cartridge from the Kenwood turntable I bought a few days ago might be compatible with it, since they look as if they were released around the same time. It was only $6. I figured the replacements parts wouldn't be that expensive to get it going. It will cost $25 for a belt and stylus + the $6 I paid for it so $31. The bad news is they only sell for around $30-$40 in working condition. I suppose I could get a little more out of it if it had a new belt and stylus. Maybe $50-$60. So my dilema now is do I buy the parts and fix it then keep it around as an extra or sell it and end up only getting a few dollar profit after Ebay fees and shipping. Or do I return it and buy something else I can either sell for more or get more use out of. Even though it was only $6 I'm leaning towards just returning it.

The last thing I bought was a VuPoint FS-C1-VP Film and Slide Digital Converter brand new in the box for $5. My family has a ton of old slides and for $5 I thought I'd try it out. I haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll post the results to show what the quality is.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I liked that wireless Logitech keyboard so much that I went back and bought two more!

The first one is a MK 700 keyboard. The nice thing about this one is that it works with the Logitech Unifying Reciever that I have for my wireless trackball mouse. So I'm able to use this on a different computer I have that I've needed a wireless keyboard for ever since the last one stopped working for no reason. The last one is the LX 700 I posted earlier and the middle one is... well I forget what model it is but it is very similar to the LX 700. It also connected no problem using the regular Logitech receiver same as the LX 700. The LX 700 was $1.50. The other two were also $1.50 apiece but with an extra 10 percent off so $2.70 for the pair and $4.20 for all 3.

Next I bought one of those crappy "Nostalgia" systems.

I usually have no interest in these things because I know they are made pretty cheaply. Surprisingly it was only $6 (plus 10 percent off) so only $5.40. I tested it out at the store and everything seemed to work ok enough. The turntable was sitting a little too low in the case which was causing the turntable to scrape on the case when a record was being played. That was easily fixed by removing the platter and sticking a little piece of cardboard under the left little shock thing. After that it played fine. The stylus looks like it was hardly used which was one reason I bought it. I figured even though it was a cheap device the stylus would be in much better condition that a 30 year old unit. I tried a couple of old records that I wasn't too worried about damaging just incase. It played them but the sound was pretty "scratchy" this was fixed by sitting a nickel on the stylus arm. There doesn't appear to be anyway to adjust the tracking force on it. The AM/FM radio works fine as does the CD player. The cassette player works but there is a hum from the speakers when a cassette is inserted. Maybe a lack of shielding somewhere?

So 3 working wireless keyboards and a "Nostalgic" stereo for $10. Not a bad price.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

All these keyboards take me back!

Your thread makes me want to dig out all my old computer hardware again!
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:20 pm Your thread makes me want to dig out all my old computer hardware again!
I say do it! It is something fun to mess around with for a week or so before you get tired of it.

An update about that Nostalgia system I bought. I put it on the Facebook marketplace for $40 and it sold in only 2 days. Maybe I should have asked $50 for it. :obiggrin: Nah, I think $40 is the high end of what it is worth.

Also picked up this sweet Polaroid with carrying bag and extras for $3.99!

I usually don't buy old cameras but I'm thinking people really like this model and heck I think it is pretty nice looking too. I'm thinking I can probably get around $30 or so for it. The bad thing is I can't test it out without buying film. I'd say it still works but I think the battery is actually in the film cartridge. It still has some pictures left in it but of course the battery has lost it's charge decades ago. I wonder if there is any kind of ghetto way to recharge the battery a bit, just to get enough power in it to take 1 or two pictures.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Found this old videophone brand new in the box for $5.

Apparently it is from around 2009 and didn't last long at all. I remember when videophones seemed like the future. How amazing would it be to call somebody and actually be able to see them right there on the phone! Now everyone has a smartphone capable of video calling and nobody uses it. Not many people even like to make a regular call anymore let alone a video call! Everybody texts. Basically communication like a futuristic telegraph machine. :olol:

Anyways I picked this up cause I'm always interested in some odd technology item if the price is right. Plus I really like the name of it. ACN. I could see the ACN actually using this thing!

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Picked up a real interesting find today. A one of a kind! A VHS tape labeled Christmas Eve 1991. I'm watching it right now, only about 5 minutes in. Even those these are all people I have no idea who they are, I find it interesting. Watching somebodies Christmas Eve party for nearly 30 years ago! Where are these people now? Did they copy this tape to DVD or digital before getting rid of this tape or was this tape mixed in with a box of other tapes and they didn't even know it was in there. When was the last time this video was watched by anybody? It is almost like traveling through time!

The kids in this video are almost 40 years old! The adults would be around 60s-80s! The only thing that has dated the video so far is "Santa" has mentioned that several of the girls has asked for New Kids on the Block stuff. One girl specifically asked for a New Kids on the Block doll.

*Updates as I watch

The family member dressed as Santa said "Santa hasn't been kissing little kids this year" Well that is good to hear lol.

A guy asked for a CD player and "Santa" acted like that was an outrageously expensive item.

Had some technical difficulties around 34 minutes. The tape was crumpled up at one point and the tape would not advance at all. I've never had a tape be that bad that you couldn't atleast fast forward through it. I end up turning the tape by hand and got it going again.

Ok I want to know what happened to one of the kids in this video. He has to be around 10 or so and he got a couple of ear rings as a gift. His ears are pierced at that age! The he opens a pair of green pants and he says what I'm not in prison yet! They all laugh and say not yet. Then the mom says, you ain't even been in juvenile school yet. Odd.

This is the longest family gift opening I've ever seen! A mom a dad and 2 boys and it has been going for an hour so far!

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

There's a guy on Youtube that buys blank tapes when he finds them to see what's on them. Sometimes it's just old shows or movies recorded in the 80s/90s, sometimes it's home videos. They can be interesting to see.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Looks like this thread is going to be inactive for quite awhile. I don't know if Goodwill is even open but if they are they shouldn't be. Even if they were open I sure the hell wouldn't be going there now. I plan on organizing my hoard out in the pole barn since I'm gonna be stuck at home even more than usual. Maybe I'll post some pics of stuff as I'm going through it. I've got tons of things that I've not posted.

One thing I did recently was pull out the old Mitsubishi XC-3715C Color Display Monitor and hook it up to see if it still worked. I did post about it when I first bought it but that was back before we all lost our usernames and posts! :olol: It must have been around 2008. I used it out in the garage to watch movies and play games on for awhile then eventually moved it up against the wall with a few other TVs and it has been sitting there for probably 7 years or so. I plugged it in and hooked up a VCR and popped in Men and Black and it still works great! I'm surprised because where it was sitting I was afraid it was leaking on it. Honestly I think it did get some leakage on it over the years but if it did it hasn't affected it at all. The regular consumer grade Sanyo that was sitting right next to it however seems to no longer work. When I press the power I hear it click on and static comes through the speakers but it shuts off immediately.

I was checking out the Mitsubishi as I'm hoping to sell it to some retro gamer who wants a badass CRT. It was made in November 1990. I read somewhere that it was around $10,000 new. It has all kinds of crazy hookups including RGB.

I guess you could say it isn't in showroom condition. But it still works just fine! It is pretty much in the same condition as it was when I got it over 10 years ago. You may notice that there is a bit of rust around some of the connectors. It was like that when I got it, doesn't affect anything and could probably be cleaned up with a little sandpaper. The only connectors I've really used on it is the standard composite and S-video. At one time I was going to buy BNC to component adapters but never got around to it. I'm not entirely sure what the PC looking connectors would hook into.

A feature I find interesting is that it supports up to 800x600 resolution where most similar CRTs can only do 640x480. I have had a PC hooked to it via S-video and was able to run everything at 800x600.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The monitor looks good. Apparently it's the "holy grail".

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

OMFG I want that TV.

EDIT: I did some research on those PC connectors. Two of them are data ports and not entirely useful. But the one labeled Analog is a DB15 port, which can be easily converted to VGA. Which is probably why the TV supports 800x600.

God I want that TV even more now.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

melancholy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:54 pm OMFG I want that TV.

EDIT: I did some research on those PC connectors. Two of them are data ports and not entirely useful. But the one labeled Analog is a DB15 port, which can be easily converted to VGA. Which is probably why the TV supports 800x600.

God I want that TV even more now.
Well if you are ever down this way I'd be glad to sell it to you! I'm not entirely sure what it is worth. I want to say just make an offer but I hate when sellers do that :olol: If you want to make an offer though go ahead. I'm not using it anymore and I'm sure you could put it to good use.