So Mel did you ever get that no wire Xecuter chip?

I am not a robot

Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

So Mel did you ever get that no wire Xecuter chip?

Post by Calavera »

https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 26&t=45967

You never let us know if it worked out for you! Did you end up spending you tax check on an Xecuter chip and a Radeon 9600 XT?

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Re: So Mel did you ever get that no wire Xecuter chip?

Post by Roofus »

I still highly recommend the Xecuter 2.3 Lite Plus.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

No to the mod chip. I softmodded instead much later by doing the whole ‘turn the Xbox on, rip out the PATA cable once booted and plug it into your PC hot’ technique. It worked surprising well, truth be told. Man, I can even remember back to the day when I did that. On the floor of my apartment when my then-fiancé was at work. Case tilted sideways, wires everywhere. Bated breath as Linux failed the first two attempts to read the drive. Those were different times.

As for the video card, yes. I bought that exact model, which was supposed to come with a free copy of Half-Life 2. But, as we know now, HL2 was delayed for ages until it finally released alongside Steam. People part of the video card promotion got early access to Steam, which is why my Steam name has no special characters, being such an early adopter.

What memories.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

I tried the hot swap trick on a different Xbox and it fried the drive. :olol: You got lucky.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I think I was going to try that method but just opted for softmodding instead. Good times.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

I did that method on a couple of Xbox systems a few years ago. The only problem I had with it was that I had to try several different PCs until I found one that would work with it. I can't remember the exact problem but certain systems would just not work with it. I ended up having to use the oldest PC I had laying around at the time. A Pentium 166mhz and it worked fine.

Roofus you say it fried the drive, you were just hotswapping the IDE cable right? If you were for some reason trying to do that with the power cable then I see why it would have burnt out!