Moderators: szchinagoshop, Johnny 5

Forum rules
ian
Null Dream Team

Black Friday!

Post by ian »

Black friday. Friday.
Gotta have sales on Friday.
Everybody's looking forward to the savings.

I've not spent anything this year. And it's not because of some anti corporate wanker hipster ideology... It's just there's nothing on sale.

Remember when black friday had deals worth trampling children for?

Remember when black friday made fat, short, single mothers the fastest people on earth?

I mean, I'd line up for a GTX 3080 at $699... not getting out of bed for a fucking 3060 for a grand though.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Black Friday!

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I bought some Pokemon cards and some wrestling cards.

I might get some Eneloops as well.

That's it.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

I bought an Amazon 4K Fire stick Max for a grand total of AU$33.10

I also bought Launchbox for US$45 https://www.launchbox-app.com/premium Curse you ETA Prime for making me want to buy it!

Then just some alcohol, but that wasn't on any kind of a discount, but I am getting 15% cashback via Cash Rewards :olol:

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

I got the 99 cent a month Hulu subscription. Still not worth it.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Hulu has letterkenny these days doesn't it? so that might be worth the price of admission.
-Two Interactive.

Roofus
Slippin' Jimmy

Post by Roofus »

ian wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:05 am Hulu has letterkenny these days doesn't it? so that might be worth the price of admission.
My friend mentioned that. I just don't like that it has as many ads as regular TV. I don't mind a preroll (Ok, I do but I gave up that fight) but the one show I watched after signing up had 5 ad breaks.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Skynet wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm I bought an Amazon 4K Fire stick Max for a grand total of AU$33.10

I also bought Launchbox for US$45 https://www.launchbox-app.com/premium Curse you ETA Prime for making me want to buy it!

Then just some alcohol, but that wasn't on any kind of a discount, but I am getting 15% cashback via Cash Rewards :olol:
So is Launchbox just a pretty front end? Or does it actually have emulators with preconfigured game settings? I don’t care about pretty, but I’d pay money for an interface that already has settings for every game I throw into it preconfigured to run perfectly.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:28 pm
Skynet wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm I bought an Amazon 4K Fire stick Max for a grand total of AU$33.10

So is Launchbox just a pretty front end? Or does it actually have emulators with preconfigured game settings? I don’t care about pretty, but I’d pay money for an interface that already has settings for every game I throw into it preconfigured to run perfectly.
Haven't had the time to muck around with it at the moment. I think the paid version just gives you more prettiness to it, compared to the free. The newest release has retroarch built in apparently, so if you're like me and absolutely hate the UI that is retroarch, it might be worth the free version just for that.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

So at least this year something good came from Black Friday!
-Two Interactive.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:05 pm I bought some Pokemon cards.

That's it.
I found a stack of old Pokémon cards that I had forgotten that I had even bought them. Might be worth a little.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

2dr wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:36 am

That's it.
I found a stack of old Pokémon cards that I had forgotten that I had even bought them. Might be worth a little.
They could be. Depends what year they are and the condition they are in.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 pm

Haven't had the time to muck around with it at the moment. I think the paid version just gives you more prettiness to it, compared to the free. The newest release has retroarch built in apparently, so if you're like me and absolutely hate the UI that is retroarch, it might be worth the free version just for that.
Sorry to bump a year-old question, but yeah, Launchbox will now install and configure Retroarch (video will jump to show how ROM importing works):

It's a big leap from the olden days of 2019 when cores had to be manually linked. I'd say it's worth $45 for a Windows-based retro setup but I'd try the free version first to get a feel for it.

Pros:
• Flexible file structure (Launchbox can be moved from machine to machine; or run from a network location with ROMs/ISOs on local storage)
• Community support (I'm not 100% certain, but Launchbox has been the main frontend since it usurped Hyperspin)
• File management (It can organize your ROMs and ISOs which is handy if you've got a lot of files)
• Game auditing and filtering (This is really handy with MAME to hide bootlegs and such, nice for consoles to find new games on unfamiliar systems)

Cons:
• Technically needs an Emumovies subscription for full functionality (It's been a while since I've done metadata, so I don't know for sure if this is still true but a lifetime Emumovies subscription is $60)
• Can still be a little overbearing if you've got a small collection of ROMs/ISOs

For me, Launchbox is less of a frontend than a game management tool. It's nice to have a navigable list of all my ROM sets with game info, user reviews and box art as opposed to looking at basic files in Windows Explorer.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:54 am
2dr wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:36 am

That's it.
They could be. Depends what year they are and the condition they are in.
Because of the COVID craze for cards, they've been selling them in gas stations now :olol: It's still weird that Pokemon has existed for so long and has become so pervasive like that.

Skynet
Site Admin

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:21 am
Skynet wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 pm

Sorry to bump a year-old question, but yeah, Launchbox will now install and configure Retroarch (video will jump to show how ROM importing works):

It's a big leap from the olden days of 2019 when cores had to be manually linked. I'd say it's worth $45 for a Windows-based retro setup but I'd try the free version first to get a feel for it.

Pros:
• Flexible file structure (Launchbox can be moved from machine to machine; or run from a network location with ROMs/ISOs on local storage)
• Community support (I'm not 100% certain, but Launchbox has been the main frontend since it usurped Hyperspin)
• File management (It can organize your ROMs and ISOs which is handy if you've got a lot of files)
• Game auditing and filtering (This is really handy with MAME to hide bootlegs and such, nice for consoles to find new games on unfamiliar systems)

Cons:
• Technically needs an Emumovies subscription for full functionality (It's been a while since I've done metadata, so I don't know for sure if this is still true but a lifetime Emumovies subscription is $60)
• Can still be a little overbearing if you've got a small collection of ROMs/ISOs

For me, Launchbox is less of a frontend than a game management tool. It's nice to have a navigable list of all my ROM sets with game info, user reviews and box art as opposed to looking at basic files in Windows Explorer.
Funny thing is, since I made that post last year I've actually been using Playnite and Retrobat for my emulation needs. I really need to setup Launchbox/Bigbox properly

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Skynet wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:56 am Funny thing is, since I made that post last year I've actually been using Playnite and Retrobat for my emulation needs. I really need to setup Launchbox/Bigbox properly
I should have prefaced my post by saying I haven't used Launchbox much either because I'm gaming in Linux more than Windows these days. :olol: And I bought a license primarily for my arcade machine.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Dear shops. Please put the things I would like on decent sale.

I'll take an RTX 4090 for $999, a Series X for $499 and some sort of new high end mobile for $299.

If you want me to spend money you're gonna have to do better than 30-50% off shit that's 60% overpriced to start with.

Also, I wore my old switch out and want a new one, I'll take an OLED for $349 or a regular for $299.

Thanks in advance.

Incidentally, a scanner I've had my eye on for $800 is at about $650 at the moment, but I'm holding out for under $600... WE CAN WAIT!
Under $600 and I'll take it. Any more and I'll make do with the scanners I have.
-Two Interactive.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Ended up buying my scanner because of price beat.
Saw the same one for $639 and got officeworks to price beat by 5%.

Convenient time for a Christmas present, it's the only gift I'll be giving this year, everyone else can have lollies and chips lucky dip...

But other than that, black friday was a pretty big dud.
-Two Interactive.

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

The only person I know who bought anything of note was my brother (Xbox Series S), and that was online with store pickup. Long gone are the harrowing days of battling the whole town for cheap DVD deals at 5 a.m. :olol: Or the time my dad caused a small panic at a Younkers clothing store when he found a hidden cache of $10 tennis bracelets.

I was in the market for a laptop, but I bought one back before Halloween for the wife's Christmas present.

2dr
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by 2dr »

pixel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:05 am The only person I know who bought anything of note was my brother (Xbox Series S)
Your brother is an Xbox Series 5? That explains everything.