XFL Thread

News, politics, sports, personal topics, random crap etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: XFL Thread

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:00 am

Thanks, thought Cro Cop came over as part of the deal, but yea great roster. I do think Tommy had what it took to be a big star in Boxing but like you say he needed a better calibre of fighter to go up against. Sugar Ray was still a PPV draw back then, of course his fights with Roberto Duran are legendary. I have some old boxing VHS somewhere where it's him, Hearns, Hagler & Duran fights on. That era of boxing with Iron Mike too is a golden era. Always been a huge boxing fan and used to really enjoy the ESPN ringside specials. We had Frank Bruno here who fought Mike in the late 80s and it was cool to see him finally win the World title in the early 90s.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 am

The greatest boxing match ever happened in England.

You had Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Michael Watson and Nicky Piper from the UK in a stacked middleweight division in the 90s. And middleweight boxing is dangerous as hell because those guys have the punching power of a heavyweight and the speed of a welterweight, so lots of tragedies came from Middleweight boxing.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:45 pm

Yea sadly Michael Watson got badly hurt in a fight against Chris Eubank. That fight was televised (a lot of their fights were on ITV) so the viewers saw that all happen. But that era with Benn, Eubank, Watson etc was a golden age here too. Think I got some of those fights on VHS tape too.