Nintendo General Thread

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: Nintendo General Thread

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

pixel
Fighting Mongooses

Post by pixel »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Mario World is out.

It's OK, but it's not the same (or as good) as the original Dr. Mario.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Switch Lite has been announced. US$199, it's out September 20 (same day as Link's Awakening). It can't be docked.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Internally, the Switch Lite is largely the same as its older counterpart, with 32GB of storage space and a MicroSD card slot to add more capacity. However, it uses a more efficient processor, according to Nintendo. This, in turn, means its battery life is roughly 20%-30% better. The heat vents at the top of the hardware are also smaller, which enables the overall reduction in the hardware's size.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ninte ... 0-6468325/

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I like it.. despite the battery life that's only gonna last half an hour longer than the normal switch. not enough battery for a fully portable.

When do we get the Switch Hevy? Always docked at full HD, only pro controls, and more powerful.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I was all on board until I saw it couldn’t be docked. Considering Nintendo’s track record, I can totally see them having no issue segmenting their own market. But that’s still complete shit.

Plus I’m sad that they named their handheld-only console the Switch Lite instead of the more apt pun, the Switch-Less.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 pm I was all on board until I saw it couldn’t be docked. Considering Nintendo’s track record, I can totally see them having no issue segmenting their own market. But that’s still complete shit.

Plus I’m sad that they named their handheld-only console the Switch Lite instead of the more apt pun, the Switch-Less.
For me the only deal breakers are, like I said the battery life and price. I have used my switch dock a grand total of 2 times in 8 months.
If they skimped on aimbot functionality, made it a 3.5" or 4" screen, removed all the joycon functionality, etc, etc, etc.. I still would have got one, but half an hour more battery life.. NOPE.. I want to be able to play 8 hours of breath of the wild on the battery.
And the price.. it's basically gonna be 330 dlooaridoos! WHAT?!?!?! $250, and I'd go yeah.. that's alright, but $330??? I paid $330 for my actual switch.

And Switch-less is fucking genius, I'm calling it that from now on! :rofl:
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The Lite isn't worth it at the moment, unless you really want a smaller version and a proper dpad.

When it drops down into the 3DS price range it might be worth getting.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Someone on another forum pointed out that the regular Switch's dock retails for $80. Remove the dock from the package and the two versions are near identical in price. Considering all the features that were either downgraded or removed, there's no reason why they couldn't make the Lite more competitively priced.

darc
WHOA-OH BLACK BETTY

Post by darc »

The dock might retail for $80 but there's no way in hell that's what that thing actually costs in materials. I don't think it makes sense to do math like that.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, and another thing I thought of is that the New 3DS XL was $200 when it launched, and it was nowhere near the power of this thing.

In the end, I guess really my only gripe is the lack of TV support. I mean, the Switch is literally named after that feature. Not to say that people would use it docked, but anyone that buys Switch games now will have to verify on the back of every game box if the game is Lite compatible, and that to me is a terrible business move.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

No mario party for switch-less!!

well unless you buy more joycons just to play it, which would put the cost around switch price anyway ahah.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Harvey Norman & Amazon Australia have Lite pre-orders at AU$298.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Do those new controls have counterpart pairs?

Like the neon switch has red and blue, the pair you can buy separately has the opposide joycon in red and blue.
Mario party has pink and green, the pair you can buy separately has the opposite joycon in pink and green.

I wouldn't mind a pair of Neon orange.. if no pairs are available, I'll have to settle with neon green.
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I don't know. Possibly.

I like the blue one.

melancholy
Global Mod

Post by melancholy »

I also wonder if this new Switch model just has a better battery or an more efficient processor. If it’s just the battery, I wonder if you could buy them to put in the old Switch.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It's probably got the SoC that's in the Lite, so it would be a more efficient processor and screen as well.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »