Albums which disappointed

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Albums which disappointed

Post by Big Boss Man »

A topic for albums you thought weren't as good as what they were hyped up to be or albums which just disappointing.

First album which comes to mind is The Jacksons - Victory. Coming off Triumph which I think is even better than Destiny and that's a great album too, the Jacksons came out four years later with Victory. Jermaine is back with his brothers too, so in theory they should have hit it out of the park. But Victory never really lived up to expectations. There was a :rofl2: moment with the Torture video of using mannequins

Discogs states Mikes does backup vocals on all the songs but he's only really audiable on State of Shock and Be Not Always. For me the best song on the LP is

It's not a bad album, but compared to Destiny & Triumph its way under par. In theory coming off Thriller this Jacksons album should have been huge, especially with Jermaine back too. Maybe if MJ was more involved and they got like Nile Rodgers, Kashif, Leon Sylvers III or Narada Michael Walden in as producers as something just doesn't click with the Victory album.

A few years later they could have worked with Jam & Lewis, Teddy Riley and/or LA & Babyface. LA and Face the Jacksons did work with on 2300 Jackson Streer but without Marlon and Michael. So yea, Victory could have been a great album, in theory, but its almost forgotten when you think about MJs discography.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Albums which disappointed

Post by Bandit »

Stone Roses Second Coming and Primal Scream Give Out.... Both were coming off of forward thinking music then decided to go retro.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea those are good picks, definitely the Primal Scream one. I mentioned the Primal doc a while back and I definitely recommend checking that out where Bobby goes to Memphis.

Oasis Be Here Now. Coming off Definitely Maybe & Whats the story (morning glory), that should have been a much better record than it was. Usually the second album is where a singer/group falls flat, but in this case it was the third. Again it's not a bad album but there's nothing really which is memorable like there is with WTSMG. Some of their B-sides too like Half the World Away would have been better suited to be on the actual albums also.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I find Be Here Now interesting. It's like a concept album about what happens when you give a band too much cocaine and too much money too fast and they believe their own hype. And it's an album that could never happen again because a rock band will never be that level of celebrity nor would a record label allow them to put it out as it was without retooling.
I definitely recommend checking that out where Bobby goes to Memphis.
I saw it and have the Memphis recordings album. It's much better than what they released in 1994, but still a puzzling direction. But Vanishing Point definitely redeemed them.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea Liam and Noels egos got too gigantic and Oasis imploded. They should have focused on progressing their music forward like the Beatles did. Noel was working with the Chemical Brothers so I think they'd have brought that dance music influence in, sort of like when the Beatles switched to be more experimental.

I think Oasis needed to check their egos at the door and focus on the music but because of the reasons you've said that was never going to happen. Again it's not a bad album, you've got some solid songs on it. But to me its more of a continuation of what they were already doing. Although that's an issue with majority of singers/groups unless they are really innovative and creative & create something new each time. But eventually music catches up with you and artists/groups end up following music trends instead to get another hit record.