Things from the past that you miss

News, politics, TV, movies, music, sports, personal topics etc. goes here.
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Things from the past that you miss

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

It can be anything from the past that you miss, but generally it would be less serious stuff like junk food/toys/shows etc.

Toobs

A saucy Australian snack.

80s/90s Video Game Stores

I miss going into stores and seeing rows & rows of new 8-bit and 16-bit games.

90s Game Magazines

It used to be so great getting a new EGM/Amiga Power/Super Play/Die Hard Gamefan back in the 90s. Seeing all the new game and system previews and the ads. Obviously you were getting fairly old news by the time the mag arrived but it was still exciting.

So what old things are you missing?

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Things from the past that you miss

Post by Bandit »

I do miss those 90s game magazines. I always bought EGM and Game Pro. You used to carefully look over every page and wonder if you should get the game they talk about. Now people just skim over shitty online articles where writers have to force in a political discussion over some stupid video game to try to feel smart.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

I doubt the word "diversity" was used much in 90s game mags. Not that's there's anything wrong with some diversity in games but I don't need to hear about it all the time.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Cool idea for a topic. Ive been thinking about it in more detail & things like renting VHS, not just from.Blockbuster, but the smaller stores was cool. Old TV where there was shows you didn't need premium cable/satellite to see, especially Football/Soccer. In a way I miss the time before the internet, because I think you know you had to go seek out info from books etc, go to Blockbuster to rent a VHS, the record store to buy a record/tape/ CD etc. Now its almost instant and that's cool and all but I prefer physical media to digital but that being said, being able to talk with you all here from other sides of the world is really cool.

But I think things were more simple back in the day and I do miss that. Plus technology seemed more robust and better made & worked most of the time. I also think the older games were more fun. You could play them for hours. Now I think there's so much choice its tough to focus just on the one. I also agree with the old games mags and stores. I miss seeing lots of different stores thriving, now there's a lot closed down because of internet shopping. Its weird looking back and seeing things from a 2018 perspective. I also think I prefer things from back in the day because things were more exciting and also simple then. Having instant access to info, seeing videos etc on YouTube etc is great but there's something more fulfilling seeking it out in the real world. There's elements of today that I'd like to take back in time but in general I think I'd be content if things stayed the same.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Things are better now, we have access to almost everything from the past.

Going shopping isn't as good these days. 25 years ago I'd go to the newsagents and look at the game/computer/wrestling etc. mags, check out the game store, then to the comic shop, play a game or 2 at the arcade and then over to the supermarket to go shopping with the family.

I can still sort of do that minus the comic shop but it's more of a cut down experience.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

We only have one outright arcade left where I live and it's VR game only pretty much now, the rest of traditional style arcade games are in various bars. They started dying off when PS2 came out here.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I miss when the lollies Fads were called Fags and had a little red tip at the end like a real smoke!
Parents today would have a fit at that.

I miss milkbars. My suburb used to have 3 milkbars. one got torn down and turned to units, one closed down and is now a cafe and one got turned into a cafe and patisserie.

I miss when my suburb was a sleepy little dive no one had heard of... now it’s yuppie haven.. 3 wine bars and more cafes than you can shake a stick at... I’ve seen a Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin outside the wine bars in the past few months.
Can’t get a beer or groceries or anything after 7PM.. but you can pay $15 for a baguette and $25 for a glass of wine at 10...

And like everyone, I miss arcades too.
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

We've still got arcades but they are mainly full of ticket machine games. The Space Invaders one is good fun but besides that it's meh.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Things are better now, we have access to almost everything from the past.
Interesting point, but for me, nostalgia isn't really the same as you can't 100% replicate the original experience. Even if for example you buy an original game system and the games you enjoyed when you were young it's still not the same because back then there was more excitement involved. Even if you bought a crappy game you still played it, now we won't even give it a chance.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 am things like renting VHS.......Having instant access to info, seeing videos etc on YouTube etc is great but there's something more fulfilling seeking it out in the real world.
Having instant access to any movie or TV show you want is nice, but with so many options it is hard to pick out a movie and actually watch it. Back in the days of renting movies from the store you'd look around the store and maybe you couldn't find what you wanted. So you'd keep looking and finally find something you'd never heard of and think "eh I'll check it out" then you'd take it home and good or bad you'd actually watch it. Now with Netflix and the other online services you scroll through pages upon pages of movies. You see something you may be interested in and think "eh I'll put that in my queue to watch later" and that is where it goes to die. You never end up watching it. If that would have been a movie you rented you would have actually watched it. Like I said before with so many options it is hard to actually decide on something to watch. I'll scroll through the list and see something that looks interesting but eh do I really feel like watching that movie right now. In the end I usually pick something like The Office that I've seen a million times, watch a bit of it then fall asleep.

Here is a pretty accurate video as to how Netflix browsing usually goes.

Big Boss Man wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:10 am for me, nostalgia isn't really the same as you can't 100% replicate the original experience. Even if for example you buy an original game system and the games you enjoyed when you were young it's still not the same because back then there was more excitement involved. Even if you bought a crappy game you still played it, now we won't even give it a chance.
So true, I remember getting Rocko's Modern Life for the SNES because I liked the show so much. It was terrible! It was basically a puzzle game. At the start of every level Spunky (Rocko's Dog) is with you and you have to safely get him to the end of each level. You had to do things like jump on an item as soon as Spunky stepped on it to fling him up in the air stuff like that. It was so frustrating and terrible, yet because it was a new game I'd sit in my room and try to play it and be screaming and cussing at the game like crazy. Hey I was around 6-7 years old! Today I'd try it for a couple minutes and say this sucks and move on to something else.

Using emulators is kind of like Netflix. When you have 100s of games for all different systems to choose from, it is hard to pick one and stick with it. Usually when I'm playing a 8 or 16-bit game on an emulator I 'll pick something and play it until I die once or maybe a couple times then turn it off and move on. Even when the systems were current it was hard to pick a game and stick with it. I first discovered emulation in the later 90s. Somewhere around 97-98 I think. I had ever SNES,Genesis and NES game downloaded one at a time on dial-up :oshocked: Later I did the same with N64, since some of the games were kind of big downloads for dial-up I skipped most of the sport games that I knew I'd never play. In 97-98 the Genesis and SNES were outdated but still recent enough to have fun with. Heck you could still buy a new console and games for the SNES in 97-98. I'd look through the games but it was hard to stick with one very long. I did discover a few good games that I'd otherwise not known about. But for the most part I'd just play the games I had already played a million times Super Mario World, Sonic, Pilotwings etc...

So basically if you go to the store and can just rent 1 movie and 1 game you will for sure sit down and watch the movie whether it is bad or not and play the game regardless of if it is good or not. When you have a virtually infinite selection of movies and games at the click of a button you end up not watching/playing anything! :oshocked:

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea they are really good points you've made. I think the more choices available it makes it difficult to choose what to play, watch or listen to. With emulation for me it's games that I either wanted to try back in the day or ones I used to play and enjoy. With MAME when I found out I could emulate Simpsons, WWF Superstars and Wrestlefest and TMNT Arcade I was all in. For the SNEA I had one of those game review guide type books and it had Boxing Legends of the Ring in and soon as I found you could emulate SNES it was probably the first game I played and one I go back to. It's not a great game per se but it's a good Boxing sim. With the N64 the Virtua Pro Wrestling games I still enjoy today, especially the second one VPW2. So even with whole libraries of games out there I only regularly play a handful. Plus some games are still really playable years later like Sensible Soccer for example.

Hawq
Site Admin

Post by Hawq »

A sense of hope, that one may just be me though (think I used to have one)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea I do get what you mean but you can't ever give up hope. Have a look at the videos in the Video area of the forum about the guy called Danny who served 40 years and is turning his life around for the better. That type of story I think will hopefully show that however low someone's feeling there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Listening to his story he was pushed from pillar to post but the guy Joe running the YouTube channel happened across him and he and his buddies helped him out. Plus this time of year can really suck too I think and makes you reflect on things. I would try and avoid anything that will bring you down like depressing Christmas songs, TV shows, movies etc. But yea I do get totally what you're saying, but again, however bad things get don't give up hope.

Seeing this guys story, you know it's inspiring and helps put things in perspective. He literally came out of prison with nothing, didnt even know how to use today's technology etc. But these guys have really helped him out greatly and the change from the first video to today is legit really cool to see.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 am Listening to his story he was pushed from pillar to post but the guy Joe running the YouTube channel happened across him and he and his buddies helped him out.
That is always the main way somebody gets a good job or turns their life around. They have friends that help them out, or they know somebody who knows somebody whose father owns a business and can get you a great job there. If you are just on your own going out putting in applications at random places you hardly stand a chance. As long as you have good friends that can help you out, sure everything will be rosy. But if you are all on your own what are you supposed to do?

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's true & a great point. But in this instance it was pure luck really they happened across him. Think they met Danny at a job fair or something like that. So if they didn't go there then the guy would most likely still be homeless now. Because he came out of prison with nothing, had no support system etc. Joe and the guys on his channel weren't friends with him beforehand, it's not like they were buddies or anything like that either, they didn't even know him. Plus they've helped out other folks and been scammed by them so really they took a chance helping him out. But now 3, maybe 4 months later he's turned it around. I think he was giving up hope and still has to see his probation officer etc and prison life was all he knew for those 40 years but he got really, really lucky in this instance. Sadly there's many who don't give that one chance to turn it around, so I do understand the point you're putting across, but the point I'm making is he could have given up all hope and headed back to prison (I believe he said that he was strongly thinking of doing so), but he kept going to these different places, looking for work etc. If you take positive steps to make change then you can do it. Granted you do need someone in your corner to push you on & I don't know if he'd have made it on his own without the Youtube guys help, but maybe someone would have taken a chance eventually on him. Thats all most folks need, a chance to prove themselves.