Site Admin

Why Starbucks Failed In Australia

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Re: Why Starbucks Failed In Australia

Post by Bandit »

"To the Australian consumer it was too available to them."

That's funny to me because in America they are everywhere. I've got one about 5 minutes away from my house. It's the only business that opens multiple stores in the same area. Like you have a few McDonald's in a city, but they're spread far apart. We have 21 different stores in my area.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yeah that was a weird reason to say Starbucks failed in Australia, 86 stores isn't that many. It really is because of the coffee culture, people take that shit seriously here.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Americans really don't generally. Some do, but they're like wine ethusiasts where it's a little rare. I know some people who only buy Hawaiian beans fresh. We had terrible coffee for so long (until the 90s when going to a café was trendy) that most people don't know the difference. Everyone drank Folger's instant coffee for decades. Their attitude was "just give me the caffeine so I can go to work."

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I remember Ballarat got a Starbucks when I was living there.

It was in the shittest part of the mall (next to a vacuum cleaner store) with no natural light and out of the way for most of the foot traffic.
I am honestly surprised it took years to close (2008 I think) because I never saw anyone in there.. other cafes and restaurants in that strip would be packed, and Starbucks would be like a haunted house.

It wasn’t “too available” that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. It’s that we have our own coffee cultures... either really cheap or really good and starbucks was neither
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.