Can you spin a Laserdisc fast enough to shatter?

A forum for video games, new & retro, on consoles, computers, handheld & mobile. Also for tech talk, things like PC parts, phones etc.
Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Can you spin a Laserdisc fast enough to shatter?

Post by Calavera »

You've probably seen videos before of spinning a CD insanely fast until it shatters

Example

The first time I saw it done was on Mythbusters way back in 2003. From the first time I saw that I instantly wanted to see it done with a Laserdisc. So far nobody has ever attempted it. I'd really like to see it happen. A laserdisc is much thicker and stronger than a CD. Do you think it is even possible to spin a Laserdisc fast enough to shatter it? If you were able to spin it fast enough to shatter what kind of force do you think the shards would have? In the above video it took around 23,000 RPM to shatter a CD. How many RPMs would it take to shatter a Laserdisc? When they did it on Mythbusters I believe they were also testing if the shards would have enough force to injure or possibly kill somebody. I don't think the Laserdisc would shatter at any speed but rather break apart in big pieces, if that is the case the pieces would definitely be lethal.

I really want to see someone try this, I am very curious if it is even possible. I want to say that you wouldn't be able to spin it fast enough to shatter, but even a Laserdisc has to have a limit. What are your thoughts on it?

melancholy
Global Mod

Re: Can you spin a Laserdisc fast enough to shatter?

Post by melancholy »

I would almost think it would take less RPM to shatter it because a laserdisc is much heavier than a CD and therefore would pull at the center harder.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

Who do we know on the forums who might have access to laserdiscs? Hmmm

I have seen 1 player and 10 movies in person in my life, at a pawnshop for $250 which I laughed at and moved on.

I’d be inclined to agree with the less RPM to destroy theory as well.
Not only are they heavier, but significantly larger as well.
A tiny variance in weight of one side of a disc not being balanced would be amplified by the huge size of a LD.

I demand a test!!
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

ian wrote:Who do we know on the forums who might have access to laserdiscs? Hmmm

I have seen 1 player and 10 movies in person in my life, at a pawnshop for $250 which I laughed at and moved on.

I’d be inclined to agree with the less RPM to destroy theory as well.
Not only are they heavier, but significantly larger as well.
A tiny variance in weight of one side of a disc not being balanced would be amplified by the huge size of a LD.

I demand a test!!
I'd be happy to do a test, I still have a few random laserdiscs laying around. But I only have the laserdiscs, I don't have any equipment to spin them up.

ian
Null Dream Team

Post by ian »

I think you need to get a motor and test it! ;)
If I should Die Hard Arcade before I Alan Wake.
PREY the Lords of Lore my Soul Calibur to Take
-Two Interactive.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

You gotta test it in a controlled environment!!!...you don't want a rogue laserdisc coming off a motor and spinning at you at high speed or exploding into a multitude of fragments. Would be like a real life Mortal Kombat fatality.

Calavera
Fighting Mongooses

Post by Calavera »

Big Boss Man wrote:You gotta test it in a controlled environment!!!...you don't want a rogue laserdisc coming off a motor and spinning at you at high speed or exploding into a multitude of fragments. Would be like a real life Mortal Kombat fatality.
Oh I know! I'd need a blast cage like they use on Mythbusters to test this out.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea definitely need to protect yourself. Maybe ask a you tuber or whomever who does things like that and suggest they do a laser disc next.