New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: New Japan/Puroresu Thread

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks.NJs really stepped ups gear since Inoki sold up. How are All Japan and NOAH doing now they don't seem to be on the radar anymore. I know All Japan also went under when Kobashi, Misawa et all jumped ship to NOAH

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Both businesses are shitty. NOAH partnered with Impact hoping they could get a Bullet Club stable out of it but nobody cares because Eli Drake is no Kenny Omega. Meltzer swears AJPW is really improving but I haven't seen it for years. DDT does decent for a comedy promotion. And the old FMW fans watch FREEDOMS so they're CZW level.

But it's like WWE where any wrestler that gets noticed will just sign with NJPW anyway.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Thanks. I heard a bit about how Hustle was brought down because of Yakuza involvement and they had a bit of a buzz a few years back as being WWE-like with their gimmicks/storylines. Last time I heard about AJPW was something to do with Keiji Mutoh running it after leaving NJ. There's been 3 splinter promotions formed from AJ - SWS, NOAH and Wrestle-1. Jun Akiyama is in charge there now. Joe Doering is the Triple Crown champ. Seems they are in a similar boat to Impact right now.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Meltzer says Miyahara is the future of All Japan.

Doering is okay. He wrestles like Stan Hansen but not as good. And he doesn't have any of Stan's charisma. But he's decent.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Stans great, seems Doering is a bit Stan Hansen like with his ring attire too. Stan is one of the best ever Gaijins so if you want to emulate anyone The Lariat would be the guy.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

But the thing with the Japanese is you can't force a foreigner on them, they choose. Like the difference between AJ and Omega. You could argue AJ is a better wrestler than Kenny or at least they're equals, but there's something about Kenny that made the Japanese fans get behind him more than AJ. And Hansen had something special too. Plus Doering is from Illinois, so the cowboy gimmick doesn't work.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yep that's true. With Kenny, he loves Japanese culture, lives in Japan and can speak fluent Japanese so essentially he's one of their own.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

New Japan owner Naoki Sugabayashi said in a Japanese newspaper interview they want to regularly bring in ex-WWE wrestlers and would be open to talent trading with WWE.

I hope they don't water it down by bringing in just anybody who used to work for WWE like TNA did. Billy Gunn certainly didn't get over this summer. And nobody in Japan wants to see Darren Young or James Ellsworth.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea it will have to be top echelon talent. Daniel Bryan if medically cleared would be good. I still like Punk to New Japan but he's still on the MMA path. I would send Finn, Good Brothers, Nak, AJ to NJ. Braun as like a Brody/Andre/Hulk hybrid would be something. Outside of those guys I can't think of anyone else. Cena but I doubt they'd let him go there. Guys like Zack might flourish there same with The Ascension if they were like Road Warriors 2.0 So really I'd let guys go there who can get a bit of buzz and up their value.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That just shows how if something is organically build that it really pays off. WWE are missing out not having Don on the announce team but I imagine he'd be bullied like Mauro was although he'd automatically come in as the top Color commentator. I think Y2J in Japan has really upped his status and I have a feeling he'll be brought back in WWE sooner rather than later with a little buzz then unfortunately jobbed out. No wonder guys like Stan et al stayed in Japan where they are revered and respected. I think Chris Jericho in Japan you have him trying to take over the Bullet Club or setting up a Alpha Club, feuding with top names, instead of being stuck in stale angles in WWE.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Don doesn't put up with any shit. Mauro is too nice to stand up for himself. Don would have verbally annihilated JBL and made him cry. Kevin Kelly would have shut him up too. He got nasty about some people in his shoot, he doesn't give a shit either.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I thought, was in Cactus first book, one guy was made to get dressed away from the boys and most back in the early net days suggested it was Don. It's cool he stands up for himself, shame he didnt smack JBL around. Speaking of which I don't know how he can act a big guy when Joey Styles punched him out. Joey went up in my estimation even higher after he did that. Meanie should have got his revenge or JBL fired after busting him open hardway. That was a really low life thing he did.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I don't know. But if it was we're talking 20 years ago when he hadn't been in the business that long. I do remember people saying nobody liked him as Jackal because he was said to be getting himself over rather than the Oddities, so it could have been. But he's a different guy since ECW gave him confidence and he made money outside of the business as a stock broker.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

It was in the Hardyz book and had to Google it but it was Don and guess who was the guy bullying him...

JBL

That guy really irritates me. Cool to hear Dons done well for himself. I've liked him since the ECW days. Him and Joey were a great announce team I thought when he represented the "Network"

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

There was also a story that Russo really liked him and pitched him as the Higher Power but Undertaker refused to work with him. And the speech he gave to Joel Gertner about only being out to get himself over was based on what Undertaker told him.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's true about the Joel Gertner promo. I'm guessing Taker said no because he's buddies with JBL.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The belief was Taker turned people against him and JBL went along with it. But for what it's worth Don downplayed the heat with JBL on Talk Is Jericho by saying they got along when he rode with the Acolytes when he managed them for a month. He said his reluctance to manage them was because he knew Ron was a good promo and knew JBL was really good and just needed an opportunity to talk and he'd get over. He was acting like Bruce Prichard saying they couldn't re-sign him because he had too much heat was just a way to let him down. But who knows.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

That's interesting, thanks. Who was the locker room leader pre Taker? I'm assuming the Hulkster. Haku would make the most sense since he had a legit rep as a tough guy. Taker seems the type who'd squash any beef among the boys and not let anyone get above their station. That he let the Kliq run riot and let JBL bully people doesn't make sense to me. Same with Vince but it seems like it was a Frat boy fraternity gone wild type environment with hazing and such going on. Don seems a cool type of guy so him getting any heat doesn't make sense either. I'd imagine back in the day the hazing and such was even worse. There's a tale about Hulk having his leg broke when he first broke in and Stu roughed up the trainees in the dungeon.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Andre was the leader until 1990 then I think it was Savage with Mr. Fuji. Hogan only cared about himself. Kane is the leader when he's there now, not sure who is when he's gone.