All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Fyter Fest 6-29-19) AEDub!

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

:olol:

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The main card was good, but that pre-show was embarrassing. The 3 way tag was good, but the women's match was bad (they have to end the Librarians, it doesn't work at all live) and Nakazawa and Alex Jebbailey was one of the worst things ever on a major show. I know the guy is Kenny's friend, but they're at the level they shouldn't be letting a mark in the ring. Cornette is going to rip them a new ass for that and they deserve it. It was worse than Mancow wrestling Jimmy Hart in WCW. If he wants to be on the CEO shows do it as a dark match. But Cody/Allin, the MJF promo, and the 6 man were great.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

Wait are we saying Renee Young has similar affiliations to Arby's as Mickey James? How do we know this? Inquiring minds and such!

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

I am going to watch the AEW show! Just gonna do thoughts on each match rather than recapping move for move shit. Hope that's ok. I don't feel like trying to write while watching the matches cuz I miss shit.

Christopher Daniels vs CIMA - Great, peppy opener. I liked Daniels working a big-man power style in phases of the match rather than what he traditionally does. CIMA was incredibly impressive. Nothing was blown - two crisp professionals doing a hell of a job. Great storytelling too. *** (would be more but for its length)
Riho vs Nyla Rose vs Yuka Sakazaki (This girl is fucking MONEY) - Clunky at times, but a solid effort from all three. Nyla decided to make me a fan by channeling Vader and I felt that. Finish made sense but felt kind of flat, but I still liked this. Yuka Sakazaki is money and I actually think Nyla could be as well if she was properly booked and protected. **1/2
Hangman Page vs MJF (This kid is MONEY) vs Jungle Boy (with LUCHASAURUS~~~) vs Jimmy Havoc -Damn good match, with a great go-home segment and great bits of character work and psychology. Page might just be money too. That could have almost been a main event, such was the quality. I like all four of these guys and given another bit of seasoning Page/MJF is a money-drawing feud. ***1/2
Cody vs Darby Allin - FUCKING HELL I LOVED THIS. Darby Allin is MONEY. GREAT, bizarre match that did wonders for both guys - surpremely well worked and put together. Darby deserves to be a superstar with a little more seasoning and time. Dude is MONEY. Cody's grasp of psychology is incredible. Great, great match. ****
Jim Ross asked why we bring the damn folding chairs to the ring and put them under it. I've wondered this for 38 years of watching this shit, buddy!
Lucha Bros/Laredo Kid vs Young Bucks/Kenny Omega - Flippy flippy. Fun to watch but I couldn't really get emotionally invested. **
Jon Moxley vs Joey Janela (non sanctioned) - Absolutely nucking futs. Jon Moxley got over huge and Joey Janela impressed the shit out of me. ***1/2

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

I agree with most of that. I liked the 6 man tag more than you did and I took points off of the main event for being a bloodless death match, which defeats the purpose. Plus they let Dustin gig down to his skull on the last show, so you can't let Janela get some color after everything Moxley did to him? And I've seen Moxley gush as good as anybody doing the same type of spots, so he's not afraid of a razor either. I wasn't impressed. But the elbow drop off of the ladder was awesome.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Oh god, Tony Khan said they all liked the Alex Jebailey "match" and plan on doing another one next year.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

New BTE~!

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:28 pm Oh god, Tony Khan said they all liked the Alex Jebailey "match" and plan on doing another one next year.
Yea, Matt said it was going to be a one and done in the interview the Bucks did.

This is the full post event interview Tony did

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Hawq
Site Admin

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (Fight for the fallen 13-7-19) AEDub!

Post by Hawq »

OK even the new bows are consistantly doing better PPV's than wwe now, OK so out of 2 so far but still, I was amazed to see a company do a kick off show that was 99% wrestling as oppsed to 'you know who' having around 95% talk & recaps. Some thoughts:

Best Friends v SoCal Uncensored v Private Party - didnt leave too much of an impression on me but was a decent match to start with
Allie v Leva Bates - a fine match that was fun to watch (or is that just a description of Allie)
Michael Nakazawa v Alex Jebailey - hardcore in my kick-off show? yes please & while it wasnt as brutal as some matches for the kick-oo it was good & a damn good one to watch in general really
Way better kick off show than the other guys do.
A fair few of the other matches dont stick out much but were good solid perfermances so skip ahead to:
Cody v Darby Allin - again a solid showing with potential for interesting things at the next big show with Codys 'injury' but even after sustaining it he made a good show of things
The Elite v Lucha Brothers & Laredo Kid - I'll admit to getting a little drowsy at this point in the show but it was half one in the morning when I got to it but as shown in all their Impact outings Lucha Brothers put on a good showing as did everyione else which kept me awake which was good as them came
Jon Moxley v Joey Janela - ah the good old unsanctioned match, the kick-off bit ended with hard core & so did the main show and while yes I've seen Impact get more brutal with some of theirs we cant really judge a different company by the exact same standards (& it was still a hell of a lot mot extreme than Xtreme Rules will be) barbed wire moards, bags of tacks after removing the oponents shoes all sorts of fun (as long as you are the one watching it not doing it)

In conclusion I loved this one & the constant gaming references were nice as well to which I can only say Hadoken (if you've watched it you get it, if not you will after)

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Private Party have been signed to a full time AEW contract, they signed after their match at Fyter Fest.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Another match added to FFTF

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

MJF teaming with Spears doesn't make sense since he's still doing the gimmick where he says he's Cody's best friend.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's what I was thinking. Unless he paid Spears off to take out Cody, kinda like when they put out a bounty out on Naitch back in the day. But otherwise they should have went with MJF v Spears. That storyline arc is a bit complex for non fans to comprehend. They don't want to veer into tweener territory with MJF. I'd have him head up a heel faction where he's like the Bobby Heenan and he has Mox, Jericho, Spears etc in his group. Then you could do a tease where it seems he's turning face helping Cody but he turns on him to set up a big MJF v Cody feud and put him out of action for a while and have The Elite avenge Cody.

Then you have MJF beat Hangman to win the AEW World title and when Cody comes back you have a red hot program with him and MJF. I wouldn't hotshot it either, you have a year plus, even two you could pan this out at the top of the card. If by then Marty comes in, have him side with MJF too against his friends who left him behind.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

IMO I would always keep MJF alone as such a heel the others heels can't stand him either.