The Jim Cornette Thread

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Re: The Jim Cornette Thread

Post by Ocelot »

You aren't going to bring kayfabe back. *sigh* Let the old girl die.

Matisfaction
Global Mod

Post by Matisfaction »

It's not about bringing Kayfabe back, Cornette's beef has always been about how "Modern Wrestling" is presented. Which again, I think he makes a fair point about.

He watched Raw this week and that's where most of his critism is aimed at, he actually puts over most of the roster

I can't get no...

Ocelot
Wrestling Mod

Post by Ocelot »

On that he and I are in agreement.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He has valid points I agree with. But he takes things to such an extreme he wants to shit on New Japan. When he does that he just comes off like he's being the ultimate contrarian just to troll people. Vince Russo also does that. But Cornette is better than Russo so should be more measured with his criticism. Because his "I hate Kenny Omega" fixation is exactly like Russo's "I hate Kevin Owens" fixation. It just seems like they're digging in because they don't want to admit they were being silly.

And if AEW presents wrestling like it was a real sport in how they hype matches as they say they will, he's boxed himself in to having to hate it anyway even if they followed his advice of borrowing from the UFC for fight hype. "Yeah, but Kenny Omega did something wacky 10 years ago, so fuck them."

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

He calls Mance Warner his favorite. The current world champion in CZW who is famous for deathmatches.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Yep.

He puts over the Rhodes boys though.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

It sold more PPVs than any PPV he booked in TNA and ROH. I don't even think he drew a better buyrate than All In either. The last stuff he booked that drew was when he was in charge of the Kane angle in 1998.

He's probably trying to get in. Remember the Bucks said he approached them to suggest he get a tag team to feud with them to build on their internet heat. They turned him down because they were mad he said he wishes he could murder Kenny Omega on his podcast. Russo also tried the same thing with Cody. Although it would be a good angle if he managed The Revival when they can finally leave since he loves them.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Corny is buddies with JR so he might put in a good word for him. Plus I think he says a lot of things just for attention, whether he believes them or not only he himself knows. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near him and especially Vince Russo.

Eric Bischoff could be an asset in terms of his experience of running WCW and being at the helm when WCW beat WWE in the ratings. So I'd maybe hire him in an advisory role.

That being said, they seem smart enough to know what they're doing without outside interference. DDP seems to be mentoring Cody and Razor seems on board too, because of the Dusty connection, and I think they'll look out for him. They've also got Dean Malenko, Jerry Lynn, Billy Gunn etc and if they bring Arn in I'd have him manage the Revival instead.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Bischoff flopped when he was in charge of TNA creative for a while, so I wouldn't bring him in. His ideas are all obvious: hire people from WWE and bash WWE to make your show seem cool and their shows seem lame. They're already doing that. His other ideas are all stuck in the past like Cornette's are. He's going to want to do an nWo thing like he did in TNA twice with Immortal and Aces & Eights. Even if they did want to do that they need to wait and establish AEW first. You can't care about a takeover with a company that new.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

I think Cody has already listened to Eric already and he was part of the Before the Bell show. He didn't get his ideas over in TNA but the Elite have said that's going to be their thing. With Bisch he has the experience of taking WCW to a loss making and an arm of Turner that was seen as bottom of the barrel to a multi million dollar company.

AEW have the financial backing, but it still needs to grow. Eric Bischoff has that experience of doing that and he can use those expertise and experience to give to Tony, Cody and co in an adversary role like I've mentioned. If we use a sports analogy it's like a successful coach who's won a championship but went elsewhere and didn't win anything. At the end of the day he still coached a team to a championship and when you're in a position to build something new you should try and get advice from folks who've done that already.

Cody, the Bucks and Kenny are new to this so they need the right guidance and advice. Tony is a big fan but he hasn't run a pro wrestling company before. You have a guy who has and took it to the top, granted for 80+ weeks only, but still, if AEW can emulate WCWs success and actually make WWE put out a great product again it's to the betterment of the wrestling fans and the industry itself. So of the wrestling "minds" out there, of them all who aren't with WWE, Id go with Eric because he has that track record of success.

He took WCW from the bottom (and if Ted wasn't loyal to it they'd have dropped it from their portfolio of companies along time ago) to the pinnacle of the business. If you want to grow AEW to the biggest it can be, you go to the guy who did it before for advice. You don't have to put him in a position of power, just ask for advice on certain matters and I think he'd be an asset for AEW in that aspect.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

But it's a coach who won once because he had a dream team, not because he was good. If Kip Frye had Hogan, Savage, Hall, Nash, Luger, Bret, etc. he probably would have been successful too. And Eric isn't Paul Heyman whose ideas have evolved over the years. It's always going to be 1997 to Bischoff, whereas if Heyman had a company he wouldn't have chairshots to the head and table spots in the matches like he did in the 90s. Plus remember Eric didn't see any potential in Steve Austin. Granted neither did Vince, who thought Marc Mero was going to be the superstar he took from WCW. But Vince also didn't demand Austin put over Jim Duggan.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

In a positive Jim Cornette development

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Sonny Kiss responds to Cornette