All Elite Wrestling Thread (It's Wednesday...you know what that means.)

Wrestling! MMA! Boxing!
Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Re: All Elite Wrestling Thread (All-In)

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

The show won't be as good without Marty, but maybe MJF and Janela can add something.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea but I'm sure once his ROH deal is up or they somehow cross paths Marty will be on the show. Plus I think this was more of a recap of the Rally etc. Personally I would have waited til everyone was available then you'd have everybody onboard. From what I've heard Kenny has turned down WWEs offer but that might be smoke and mirrors to make his WWE arrival a bigger surprise. Even if he definitely has turned down WWE that doesn't guarantee he'll sign with AEW, especially if NJPW throw a spanner in the works.

If Kenny does sign I don't think he will be 100% exclusive to AEW and will have a deal similar to Jericho where he can work overseas. Has Dave mentioned what contracts the guys are on and how they compare to WWEs offers. Y2J said they are paying well, but didn't WWE offer like $3.5m downside guarantee to Kenny?.

If he is heading to AEW, I'd imagine he will be making more money. Say they matched it and allow him to work New Japan Id imagine he'd agree to that deal. But WWE is really the pinnacle so to really solidify your legacy do you have to go there and succeed or is that more their agenda to put over they are the Majors and be all & end all of wrestling.

I know they are all good buddies but say Marty gets a WWE offer down the line and Kenny does sign with WWE, I wonder whether The Bucks,Cody and Hangman will regret their decision to set up AEW. Because it seems they were committed to doing it all together and whilst the majority of the Elite still is, its still not them all. So yea I would have waited, even til 2020 and had everyone on board so they could announce it together. But I imagine if AEW hits the ground running Marty will join up down the line and will be interesting to see come February if Kenny Omega will be on board. I have a hunch he will be, unless WWE offer him an even better deal where they say he can work some limited dates for New Japan.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Meltzer already explained the Omega situation.
While nothing is signed and can’t be until 2/1, when his New Japan contract expires, he is expected to be with AEW as the word was that he had already turned down the WWE offer.

Omega’s situation is such that many feel it’s inevitable AEW and New Japan make a deal, when the day earlier New Japan’s view was to continue with ROH and take a wait-and-see attitude toward AEW. All AEW and NJPW talks went well, but NJPW was not interested in any business dealings at this point in time. But the value of Omega and Jericho to them is such that it’s actually expected that changes. What this means for ROH and NJPW is unknown. If Omega makes the deal, as expected, it is fully believed that Kota Ibushi will at least be working major dates for AEW, although he is expected to continue to work for New Japan as well.

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Admin

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Bandit wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 am Meltzer already explained the Omega situation.
While nothing is signed and can’t be until 2/1, when his New Japan contract expires, he is expected to be with AEW as the word was that he had already turned down the WWE offer.

Omega’s situation is such that many feel it’s inevitable AEW and New Japan make a deal, when the day earlier New Japan’s view was to continue with ROH and take a wait-and-see attitude toward AEW. All AEW and NJPW talks went well, but NJPW was not interested in any business dealings at this point in time. But the value of Omega and Jericho to them is such that it’s actually expected that changes. What this means for ROH and NJPW is unknown. If Omega makes the deal, as expected, it is fully believed that Kota Ibushi will at least be working major dates for AEW, although he is expected to continue to work for New Japan as well.
Thanks, I was wondering though if Dave knew any contract specifics, such as is the AEW offer on the table more than what WWE offered or is like a deal where he's taking less but allows him to work New Japan. Booker T talked about AEW on his podcast and how what the Khans know about soccer and football is different to the wrestling biz. But I think Tony is pretty clued up and reads the Observer so it's not like he's not knowledgable. But ideally AEW does need someone with a track record of success to work with them and guide/mentor. As although All In was a big success, it was based on bringing in the best indie talents. But now AEW are going national, some promoters might play hardball and won't allow their talent on the show because it's detrimental to their business.

For example if New Japan play hardball that closes that door where they could talent share some great talent. I assume NJPW are on board as otherwise Jericho wouldn't have signed, but we'll see. Really AEW needs to have the best non WWE talent signed to succeed as we know if AEW starts making waves WWE will go into overdrive throwing out contract offers and to a lot of wrestlers WWE is the dream.

So AEW has to make some smart signings, not just talent but backstage wise too. I don't know if giving themselves EVP positions is wise if they are going to be active talent since they'll be burning the candle at both ends and could possibly be burned out. Especially if the Bucks hold the tag belts and Cody the World title as even the most diehard Elite fan will see the similarity with what Double J did in TNA. Plus it might cause dissension among the roster. So that's other things they have to consider.

Doing a one off show is great but a weekly episodic show as a wrestling promotion will be tough. Unless it's going to be essentially Being the Elite with a few matches thrown in. But if it's even two hours each week and full on wrestling orientated and there's a limited cast of characters so to speak that could turn fans off the product fairly quickly. I assume by Double or Nothing things will be more set in stone, but there's much more pressure on this show to succeed and if there's not the same positive response then that might set the tone.

By allowing talent to pursue other options might be the key to why it will work, as unlike WWE it doesn't keep them exclusive to just AEW. Talent agreements with other promotions is of upmost importance too to pad out the roster. Having solid working agreements means you can get the best non WWE signed talent and really AEW has to focus on being the best product they can be. Directly competing with WWE right now would be a gigantic mistake even with a Billionaire backer.

They really could comfortably fill the old ECW role and gain new fans by being a true alternative for the fans like the original ECW was. They did that on a tiny budget in comparison but the talent put in 200% effort, plus you had Paul E behind the scenes. You also had Terry Funk and Terry helped legitimise ECW and put them on the map. AEW need Jericho to be their Terry Funk, instead of the Hogan "game changer" type role. If they put on great shows, fans will check them out and the fan base will grow and grow.

Thats how AEW should approach it, one fan at a time. Wrestling is already niche, so they are creating a new niche, but if they are serious as being a real true alternative and can put on high quality matches, have interesting storylines and the talent are "all in" to make AEW the best promotion then they have every chance of succeeding.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

AEW news from this week's Observer

-ROH owns the All In footage.

-Jericho called Vince before he revealed he'd signed with AEW to let him know.

-Tony Khan had been around The Elite for longer than people think because he was at All In and was the one who let Chris Jericho use his plane to fly back fast for his concert the night he did the run in on Omega.

-Jericho's side deal with New Japan also allows him to work for New Japan shows in the US and UK.

-Cody says AEW will never have a writer, only a booker. "WWE has about 40 writers but only 4 of them ever do anything. In AEW the wrestlers will be the writers."

-Jungle Boy is negotiating.

-A Youtube mini series will be setting up the angles for Double Or Nothing.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Chris talked about AEW on his latest podcast, seems he's kept the door to WWE open by talking with Vince.

https://omny.fm/shows/talk-is-jericho/p ... le=artwork

Apparently Mike and Maria have asked for their releases and The Revival are close to finishing up with WWE too.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

One thing Dave brought up on WOR that's interesting: Jericho is 8 years older than Hogan was when he first signed with WCW. But nobody thinks of Jericho as old like they did Hogan.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea that's a really good point. I think because he looks and dresses younger that people don't realise that Chris Jericho is 48.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Interview with the Bucks about AEW and more

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/01/17/y ... ing-plans/

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Watched one of the earlier BTE and they had Matt and Flip do the homage to Terry Funk and Dennis Stamp from Beyond the Mat. That and Matt texting Cody was hilarious. Their Halloween one had a homage to They Live too with Hangman as Hot Rods character. Funny how like a 20 minute or so YouTube so is so much more entertaining than WWE. If AEW is in a similar vein with genuinely funny comedy skits like the Exorcism of Cody and great matches that will quickly put them on the map.

One of the UK papers had an article about Kenny maybe being a Rumble participant and made an AJ comparison. I'd much rather Kenny turn up in AEW (along with Marty too once his deal with ROH is up) to feud with Jericho. Plus have him and the other Elite turn up again in New Japan to face the Bullet Club. Imagine say Wrestle Kingdom next year, BC in the ring, lights go out and The Elite are in the ring, massive pop. Plus I can't see Kenny having the same level of quality matches in WWE. Maybe with AJ or Finn, perhaps Nakamura, but no 6/7 stars.

WWE is the pinnacle, or how they push themselves, but on a prestige level, NJPW is too because you're succeeding in an entirely different style of product which is treated with respect by the Japanese press. Really AEW needs that same type of reputation and to treat their product like a US version of New Japan. Their big shows like Wrestle Kingdom seem like big deals and that's what they will need to do with their PPVs. Make them look different to the TV show, have solid buildups to them and keep the fans interested by having good storylines. Not insulting the fans intelligence is paramount too because WWE do it too often and you become jaded with the product when this happens.

Bandit
Wrestling Mod

Post by Bandit »

Even if Kenny did sign with WWE he still couldn't be in the Royal Rumble. He can't sign anything or acknowledge going anywhere until February 1st. AJ's deal had ended when he was the entrant that year.

Big Boss Man
Wrestling Mod

Post by Big Boss Man »

Yea I know that, just the UK newspaper (The Express I believe) was saying he could be a surprise entrant.

Mm, I don't agree with putting a fan on blast like that. Comes across as arrogant too. You don't want to piss off any potential fans by acting like that. Is it a mark type question?, sure, but not everyone is clued up to the intricacies of pro-wrestling. Something like "Hey, well Kenny's under contract with New Japan until Feb 1st" would have been a better response and he could have sent a message back privately. Its because of the fans supporting them 110% that they are on that level to begin with & why All In was such a success. I'm rooting for them to succeed as I've said, maybe they would be better off have someone else run their social media as a way of PR control because to me that gives a negative impression and they don't want that. If they want to be the real fans alternative, start by treating every single fan with respect.